“Trying to Change”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Georgetown
Pegasus Hotel Guyana
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Georgetown
Whitchurch, United Kingdom
“Trying to Change”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I Visited Georgetown and was booked into the Pegasus Hotel for a two night stay and was given a 7th floor room overlooking the sea front.
My room was very spacious and clean but it was noisey at times due to the refurbishment of the rooms on the floor above me.
The reception area had been totally gutted and so it was a bit of a scrum at times and checking out was difficult too.

The pool and eating areas looked as though they had been refurbished recently , the breakfast on offer exceeded expectations, the crispy bacon was heavenly.
The BBQ food at the poolside was a nice option too , taking a walk outside the hotel it was obvious that Georgetown residents did not take their litter home as the coast road and beach are buried under mounds of plastic and litter, shame as it ruins the look.
It was an experience to stay at the Pegasus Hotel , the staff tried their best to make my stay an enjoyable one.

Room Tip: Upper floors give better views over the city or coastline.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank jeffoclarko
PegasusHotel G, General Manager at Pegasus Hotel Guyana, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the Pegasus. We have embarked on a total refurbishment program throughout the hotel which unfortunately does cause some amount of disruption and noise. I do hope that despite these issues we will be able to welcome you back to the Pegasus.

Best regards

Susan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Front desk people are nice and pleasant. Rooms are decent; but not at 4 or 5 star level. (At least room # 510)
Bathroom was semi-clean (spots on the floor). Did not have a soap/shampoo dish in the shower.....(?). Bed was nice and firm, but linens seemed old/worn
Food was decent and service good, but slow.
I do prefer Pegasus over Princess, even if the room was smaller.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Fsucre
Bangkok
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I agree with the last few reviewers. The Pegasus is probably a UK/US 3 star, but here in Guyana its a 5 star and doing a pretty good job. The staff are trying desperately to please, what we have to recognise is that not everyone works at the same pace as we do so lowering your expectations on waiting times would be useful. The contruction work was a pain but where work has finished the results are good. Its slightly irritating that the work will benefit travellers of the future and nothing is being done to appease the current travellers - a welcome drink might have been a nice touch to compensate slightly for the inconvenience. However, the bed was very comfy, lovely shower and great tv with cable. The only gripe about the room was its very sanitised - i'd like a little colour or artwork to break up the white walls. I enjoyed the evning meal by the pool but wasn't that thrilled by the breakfast buffet, a good suggestion would be to stick with cold buffet or have an omelette made to order. The Pegasus taxi service was excelelnt, secure and cheap. I'd certainly stay again and although the Mariott might be tempting, price wise the Pegasus will give it a run for its money.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank chocoholicBangkok
Hampton, Virginia
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I travel world wide for business and find a large variety of different comforts where ever I travel. In developing countries, I think that most people don't understand what luxury is. You can't measure the quality of your stay by what your use to at home. They don't have a Home Depot, Lowes, or Walmart on every corner in Georgetown like we do in the US. Yet! For Guyana I consider Pegasus a FIVE STAR hotel. It's an older hotel that shares a long history with Georgetown (which I like), but I find other reviews I've read to slightly unfair, so I had to add my two cents. The staff there was truely VERY friendly to us and made us feel very comfortable with our stay. The 24 hour room service was something I rarely see, which was very welcoming since we normally arrive to our work locations very late in most cases, or very early. So getting some nice hot food delivered to the room after 20 hours of flying at 2 AM was a great treat. The rooms were very clean with nice plush beds which is always what I care about the most. The food in the restaurant was great and they even had cable TV with popular US and international channels. The staff and other travelers I encountered out front while sitting on the benches were very pleasant and had only good things to say about the Pegasus Hotel. I felt safe and comfortable there. Their hotel sponsored yellow cab drivers are friendly, honorable and very trust worthy. I will make Pegasus the place I stay whenever visiting Georgetown, Guyana because of how good the staff and people there treated me. Even when Marriot opens, I will stay at Pegasus! It's centrally located to the city and the American Embassy and Russian Embassy are only a stones throw away. I enjoyed my stay at Pegasus and THANK the staff and hotel for their wonderful hospitality. Hope to see you again soon. Mark Erney

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank MarkErney
PegasusHotel G, General Manager at Pegasus Hotel Guyana, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear Mark,

Thank you for your kind words. We are constantly striving not only to meet but also exceed our guests' expectations and your comments are important to us achieving that goal. I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to "the Pegasus" and thank you for making us your choice of hotel in Georgetown.

Best Regards

Susan
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed June 12, 2013

This hotel wasn't bad, but it was not great either. They are working hard on updating it given that a Marriott hotel is being built just down the street and they will soon have heavy competition. But the banging and drilling and shill noises really did a number on my nerves. The construction work was so robust that the walls shook at times! But construction aside, the hotel has a lot of beautiful patios and outdoor space (a lot of which was off limits due to the construction. See a theme here?). The updated rooms had a modern look and feel to them. However, given that it was rainy season and the walls don't appear to be insulated, the room smelled musty. The sheets felt damp from the humidity, which was unpleasant. However, the sheets were new and clean. I just couldn't stomach the musty smell. And the AC was rather noisy as well. Staff were incredibly friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank a h
tunapuna, trinidad
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I did not stay at this hotel but had dinner at the poolside. The food and staff was wonderful. It was a Saturday night and the place was filled to capacity. The nights entertainers were very talented and made the experience a very welcoming one for me and the rest of my party.

Next time i'm in Guyana I would visit again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank reena_tt
Nax, Switzerland
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I stayed at the Pegasus in April and May 2013 for two business trips in two of their “Luxury rooms”. The Pegasus does not care about its guests. The Pegasus enjoys a quasi-monopoly situation and is not interested in client loyalty. When the Marriott opens later in 2013, it will loses its clientele, for sure. If you do not have to, you will not stay at the Pegasus, and certainly no longer once there is a real hotel in Georgetown.

The hotel claims to be a five-star, although it hardly reaches the quality of a one or two-star hotel in the US or in Europe. At $280 per night rack rate, it is robbery. Pegasus needs to improve if it wants to have a chance to sustain the competition, they should have started a long time ago. I appreciated the management professional responses to my demands. They have a potential, but they need to change their approach and become a hotel caring about its guests.

The staff requires a serious re-training and supervision. With the exception of a few, especially the ladies preparing the morning eggs who are pleasant and do a good job, the staff does not care about clients; you see them too often chatting among them in some corners or walking around empty hands instead of attending to guests. More than twenty minutes to place an order is not uncommon and being served can even take longer. You wonder whether you are a client or an inconvenience. Several of the waitresses are really rude, especially at breakfast. The reception is more welcoming.

The sitting area and the patio in the lobby were closed because of the ongoing renovation works. I have been told it would end soon, but did not see very much progress over two months. I am not sure how much they are going to improve the place, it seems that their intervention is very limited whereas there is obviously a lot more needed.

The rooms in the Kingston Wing are a little big larger with a sitting and working area, the rooms are cleaned every day and the (small) towels changed daily with the linen changed weekly, but rooms are not at all as fancy as what the web site gallery shows, when you enter the room for the first time, you cannot believe it is the same place. Time, moisture and obvious lack of maintenance have seriously degraded the premises. Curtains and windows haven’t been cleaned in a long time, the dark wood furniture is very basic and now outdated. There was no welcome basket but complimentary fresh bottled water was provided every day. The A/C is not efficient, leaving a slippery floor due to ambient moisture. The rooms I had were equipped with 37” LCD TV sets, but only with very low quality images from analog channels not always working; no on-demand channels.

The garden hasn’t be maintained in years, for the moment it is just unusable. Indeed the “ocean view” from the “luxury rooms” is completely obstructed.

Wifi was included in the room package. For other rooms it costs $11.6 a day. Speed is very variable and while it is sometimes acceptable, it is often unusable and too slow for a proper Skype conversation, without even thinking of video. Unfortunately there is no alternative since in Guyana there is no 4/3G available.

Do not expect to go for an early sleep, i.e. before 12-1:00am, each time during weeks or week-ends evenings when they decide to throw a party, sometimes private, for non-guest clients. While it was manageable in the first room situated at the beginning of the “ocean view” side, from the second one, at the end of the same side, it was just unacceptable. I cannot imagine what I could be on the “pool side” where the parties are taking place. Of course they do not care. As a guest, just pay, and please, shut up; they even hang up on me when I complained. Since I could not sleep, I decided to leave earlier than planned.

The rates for everything: accommodation, food and drinks are ways too high for the quality of the hotel. For instance a local 275ml beer will cost you about $5, compared to 90cts in the best restaurants of Georgetown.

I am used to pay the price for quality, including for the genuine 5-star hotels I stayed with in several countries (I reported on some of the most recent ones), but nothing at the Pegasus justifies the price you pay: neither the amenities, neither the guest care, neither the quality of the products served, neither the quality of the food, neither the quality of the accommodation and certainly not the quality of the service. If they do not quickly redress their approach and invest in genuine renovation, in training and improve in all the above, expect it to go belly up as soon as the Marriott opens. Even at a quarter of the rates they charge now, you will not want to stay at the Pegasus.

Room Tip: No tip. Just avoid it.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Alain J

Travelers are raving about these Georgetown hotels