“Nice Staff And I Felt Safe. My Third Stay Here.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Georgetown
Pegasus Hotel Guyana
Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Georgetown
Reviewed November 10, 2012

I was here for 2 weeks on business; this was my 3rd time at the hotel, so I know it well. It is old but clean. The hotel's front desk and housekeeping personnel are very friendly and work very hard to accommodate you. The restaurant staff is awful. They are rude and you have to chase them down to get any service. Forget room service. The food is overpriced and not very good. The exception is their cappuccinos, they are great! Many restaurants will deliver to the hotel. There is Popeye's and Churches Chicken, some pizza places, etc. Ask the front desk for a list. They only take cash. Try the New Thriving Chinese restaurant for good food. It's a couple of blocks away, which is a US $4.00 taxis ride. Do not try to walk there it's not safe. Speaking of safe, I do feel safe at this hotel and as a woman traveler that is important. There is a hair salon, but you cannot charge hair services to your room, you have to pay cash. The hair dresser is very good and used to work in Atlanta, GA. There is a gym which has no air conditioning and a small convenience store which is closed on Sunday's as is everything else in Guyana. So if you need to exchange money or buy something, do it before Sunday! Some of the rooms have free internet, otherwise it's $10.00 a day. It is slow, but at least they have it. Keep in mind this is very much a third world country. There is a beach behind the hotel, but I wouldn't swim in it for anything. Do not walk the beach alone. I walked with three people and we did not feel safe. The hotel has a decent pool. If you need a taxi use DR Taxi Service and ask for Sham or Abdool. Sham's number is 648-9730. He and Abdool are great drivers and very nice. Take a hot pot or a coffee maker. The hotel does not supply them. They do supply an iron and ironing board, hair dryer, in room safe and a small refrigerator. There offer 120 and 240 voltage outlets, but no outlets in the bathroom. I asked for an extension cord or a drop cord, as they call it and they brought one right away and let me keep for 2 weeks. As I said, the housekeeping and maintenance staff are very nice and tipping them daily helps too. I found everyone takes U.S. dollars, even in the restaurants downtown. The bed is comfortable; the air conditioner works well, but is very, very noisy. I didn't see any bugs. If your room overlooks the pool you will not be able to sleep on the weekends because of extremely loud music. I was in room 308 and I did not hear the music, but my colleagues said it was awful. There is a Marriott being built next to this hotel and I don't know how the Pegasus will be able to compete. I know some of the reviews are very harsh, but I don't compare this hotel to ones in the US. I consider my location and from what I've seen in the area, this place is not that bad.

Room Tip: Take a look at your room first. If you don't like it or the view they will help you find one yo...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Pegasus Hotel Guyana

Reviewed November 9, 2012

Shabby exterior. Peeling paint.Impressive foyer with large sections of ceiling missing.Small rooms grossly overcharged at $165 USD per night.Breakfast extra.No coffee making facilities. Extra charge for morning coffee.Broken room door.Moved to new room with a telephone which did not work, lights which did not work because of missing bulbs.No mirror in room.Getting into and out of the very high bed almost requires a step ladder unless you happen to be very tall. My aged mother-in-law required medical attention after falling off the bed as her feet could not touch the bare tiled floor with no carpets.The hotel was unable to provide details of available doctors,Grotty and tired bathroom.Wall tiles used on shower floors became very slippery when wet.Ill fitting balcony doors impossible to lock.Patio furniture spore infested and needs to be cleaned.Our gratitude to the staff especially Saleem and Camille who deserves recognition for their efforts to make amends for the shortcomings of the hotel.

Room Tip: Very small rooms, except for suites which are comfortable and represent value for money.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank seasonedtraveller169
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Check in was late at night - no welcome & where just handed a key and not even directed to lifts or told which floor the room was on. The service at reception never got better: no smiles; poor information - treated us like an inconvenience rather than a customer - if you run a customer care business please pass them some tips!

Rooms: old furniture; just about clean; broken rotting balcony; air conditioning so loud I couldn't sleep; air conditioning vents let in the smell of curry from restaurant below; I had to wash all my clothes when I got home - even the ones I didn't wear - because it all just felt very grubby. The housekeepers were the only saving grace and worked very hard with the unfortunate decor.

Food: overpriced and overrated breakfast: $23 / person; dinner - as long you like everything deep fried you'll love the food; ran out of rum even though the country produces it; crap service and all overpriced.

Pool: poor service; unclean; hardly any sun loungers; chlorine literally thrown in with no thought about levels and this was done whilst we were having dinner.

Also I got flee bites sitting on one of the grim sofas!

Overall: can't wait for the Marriott to open - hopefully it will stop this hotel from existing and give Georgetown a bad name.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Manorma
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Stayed here while working in the capital, The hotel is very nice, the bed is great as well as the bathroom and the service, My only gripe is getting charged USD$10 for 24hrs of Wireless Internet that is no faster than 384K, I am aware that Internet in the country per se is slow but for these speeds, $10USD for 24hrs is a bit steep. Breakfast is Top Notch.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank jorgelrod
Reviewed September 18, 2012

This was my first visit to guyana I was suprised to see donkey carts still being used for transportation that was surprising. It was interesting to see the development and the none development of Guyana. The hotel rooms were clean and comfortable not much yard space it's a bit tight buffet breakfast is okay not much of a variety just a few local dishes dinner ambience is nice. Not forgeting the excellent service of the staff.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank zippy331
Reviewed September 7, 2012

A hotel with a clean room, internet, and breakfast. This is a good place to stay if you want a comfortable business stay in Guyana. Views can be of the ocean front or the car park and roads.
Room service is a plus at night. (I think the kitchen closes at a certain time)

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank NadiaST
Reviewed September 4, 2012

This is my 4th or 5th stay at the Peg... and I keep coming back for more. I was pleasantly surprised with the minor (cosmetic) changes done to the Public areas, but still service at the cafe is awful. I had to get off my table once when my drink and menu did not show up after 15 minutes... Why bother, when New Thriving ( Excellent Chinese) is a US$2 cab drive away?
I only book the Kingston Wing rooms as they are actually not bad at all, although the water still smells like rust... The price (close to US$200) is ridiculous, it is more than likely your company is paying and there aren't many options.
Tried the Cara Lodge for a couple of stays, but could only stand their suites, which are attic-like and too huge for my taste... Food at the restaurant is great though, but there is nowhere near to go for a walk....Seawall next to the Peg is very pleasant for a walk or run at sunset.
You will probably be less inclined to stay here once you know that the Peg's owner is using his influence to block the Marriott from being built next door... Effectively relegating Guyana to 3rd world status (hotel-wise) for many more years to come... What a shame!

Room Tip: Kingston Wing... 3rd floor... Ocean view.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business