“Shelly Misir”

New York City, New York
“Shelly Misir”
Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

Unforgettable Experience:

The last time I visited Guyana was over 20 years ago. My family and I having been planning to go back and visit for years. Not sure of what to expect, we delayed going back and opted for cruises each year. Finally we decided to go two months ago during the holiday season. After researching all the hotels, we decided on Grand Coastal since it was away from the city and thought it would be more cozy and safer. From the moment I made the reservations, I had so many questions. I kept emailing the staff who promptly replied answering my every question and constantly reassured me of all my concerns.
Upon my arrival at the airport, there was a vehicle waiting to take us to the hotel. The driver was very patient, helpful, and informative.
Our first impression of the hotel was unforgetful. The first thing my husband noticed was the bar and grill by the pool which looked so inviting, my kids (ages 11 & 13) immediately noticed the beautiful pool and lovely Christmas decorations (which made the place look like something out of a fairy tale, according to my daughter). I noticed the security guards at the gate and immediately felt safe. The staff was incredibly helpful in getting our luggage up to the room and checking in was a breeze. We were also immediately informed of available food, drinks, and refreshments. Grateful for this info since my kids are always starving.
I can compare our room to that of a master suite on a cruise ship, but larger and way more opulent. Our suite came with a separate kitchen, sitting / entertaining area with a sofa bed, refrigerator, microwave, etc. The beds and pillows were very luxurious. The bathroom was huge with a cabinets/ shelves to put away all our things so we were neatly organized. The room and bathroom were always kept immaculate (so important to me). Great job housekeeping!
The head of house keeping (Ms. Dahta) came to meet us, she was so warm and welcoming and made herself and her staff available to us at all times, we were never short of anything.
The Food: The best part of our stay. I couldn't believe the menu when i saw it. MY husband and I enjoyed all the authentic Guyanese flavors every morning for breakfast. Any kind of vegetables that you can possible desire with shrimp was served for breakfast with hot roti, my children enjoyed the typical American breakfast. The staff went out of their way to be accommodating. I will always remember Mahendra and Romaine, who provided us with exceptional service, information, and comfort. Mr. Ramesh, the GM, came over to us several times to make sure we were comfortable. The whole vacation, my husband and I kept saying to ourselves, why did we take so long to return? GC provided us with all the comforts of a five star hotel, yet we had the feel of being at home with the food, service and warmth of the staff. The staff arranged a car at all times for our touring needs. We never worried about safety or transportation. My children enjoyed being served at the pool daily and room service at their finger tips, they also enjoyed the wifi and cable TV. The only reason we cruise so much is because we love the exceptional food, service and being pampered. Grand Coastal, you were above and beyond all my cruising experiences. The service was exceptional from the moment we landed at the airport to the minute we checked out. I can write a book on my wonderful experiences. All I can say is thank you for our unforgettable memories. Can't wait to return!!!!!!!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Reviewed January 22, 2014

The hotel is not the best but its ok if you like average. However I have ate at their restaurant a few times the food was ok . There are still areas that needs to work on especially the "food options, flavors and needs more variety to choose from". One thing that hurt me the most was walking to the bar or restaurant and having to sit there forever before someone decide to acknowledge Me. Every time I went I felt like i was begging the servers to do me a favor by ordering something. They made me felt unwelcome so most times I just ordered room service or dine out. The service in the restaurant was "HORRIBLE" but the housekeepers were great and a few managers. But I will never return to this place nor the country.

• Stayed January 2014
3 Thank Lovergirl S
Austin, TX
Reviewed January 19, 2014

We love to poke our noses in to check out establishments, then report back like prairie dog sentries perched on a hill. I like to take some time to digest everything and let the "vacation high" sizzle down before I report back...in other words...procrastinate.

We stayed here in July of 2013, with my 3 sisters and 2 cousins.

Rooms:
Never having stayed in a hotel in Guyana before I was not sure what to expect and was a bit apprehensive. I was afraid I would find something the equivalent of a Motel 6. But I was pleasantly surprised. The rooms were clean, beds were clean and comfortable, and most importantly the bedspreads looked brand new! The hotel staff were very nice and were accommodating when approached. We had the rooms with the two double beds - however these are all right at the top of the stairs and you can hear everything that goes on downstairs. But if you want a room with 2 beds you have no choice.

Dining:
The food was very good and you can't beat it for the price. One thing I did not like was eating breakfast in the courtyard - while I like dining "alfresco" it would be nice to have the option to dine indoors. Although the indoor dining is available for dinner. We had a few of the curry dishes and they were good, however limited in variety.

Location:
The location was perfect as we were attending a wedding nearby. Right on the main road and is a 20 minute taxi ride into town.

Overall, we had a good time. I would actually give it 3.5 stars.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sandra T
london
Reviewed January 10, 2014

I work for an organisation in the UK, and in November 2013, working with one of my colleagues in Guyana, we used the Grand Coastal Hotel to conduct a 12 day training programme bringing together 19 participants from 9 different countries round the world. As a charity, we had tight budgetary constraints to consider, but also a duty of care to our participants who had travelled from as far as Argentina, Solomon Islands and Kenya. We had initially looked at other hotels more central to Georgetown but none could offer us the facilities of the Grand Coastal and at such a competitive price.

From the very beginning, Elena took care of us and worked hard to give us discounted rates for our block booking of rooms/use of conference facilities. While staying at the hotel I found it to be very clean and extremely comfortable - far greater than I had expected. There were reports of some bugs in some of the ground floor rooms, but a) this is Guyana, a country in the tropics so therefore prone to the odd cockroach or two and b)the hotel staff were excellent at cleaning and removing any bugs when found. I personally didn't see a single bug during my 12 day stay at the hotel and found my room (which was on the first floor) to be very clean and comfortable.

Despite a couple of encounters with poor customer service and small hiccups during our stay, I have to say that 90% of the staff at this hotel were willing to move mountains to make us happy (all the more impressive knowing that we were not the largest group using the hotel, nor the biggest bill-settler!) and I was impressed with all of the young waiters who seemed to really enjoy doing their job and doing it well.

The hotel has good facilities; wifi, good satellite TV in the rooms (but can stop working during heavy rains), a fridge in the rooms to keep drinks (And for me, yoghurts!) chilled, good sized desk with light to enable you to work... I was impressed how big the room was despite only staying in the most basic of their hotel rooms. You may expect this from a business hotel like this, but having spent time in Guyana previously and other similar countries, doing training and capacity building, it really was a rare luxury to be able to spend time at this hotel with all its facilities. We usually travel with our own printer and don't have things like A/C or room service to look after us!!

In terms of conference facilities; Mahindra made every effort to look after us and our needs. The room we used was good although it adjoined another conference room and separated only by a movable wall/partition. This meant that we could hear other delegates next door and vice versa - our training was quite noisy and we were aware that we disturbing other people. The food provided was truly excellent - it was extremely well priced in terms of what was then offered - we paid less than the standard buffet cost per head, and still there were many different dishes to choose from as well as dessert. This kept most of our participants extremely happy.

Despite the seawall just being over the road and providing ample opportunity for walking/jogging, I found it too hot to do this and didn't really have the free time whilst it was light to do this. So I was especially grateful that the hotel had a gym (with A/C) that offers two treadmills (only one was working at time of writing), a rowing machine, some very retro/'vintage' looking weight machines and an exercise bike.

The customer service we received as the event organisers was also second to none; several times we arrived down at the bar area around 10pm having just finished work/prep to discover the kitchen was closed but we were hungry! Daniel fixed us up with some crab backs, fries and prawns for us to eat and I was impressed at that flexibility - most other facilities you would have to make do with a packet of crisps or a stale sandwich...

Ultimately, this hotel is an excellent choice for a short leisure stay or for conferences. As long as their prices remain competitively low, then I have no doubt in my mind about using this hotel again in the future. If however, prices start to creep up to that of the bigger hotels in Georgetown, then I would have no choice but to go elsewhere.

Room Tip: choose a room off the ground floor
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank hfhtaylor
Toronto
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Recently spent six nights at the Grand Coastal. Had the standard room, which was clean and large enough. The food at the hotel was excellent as was the bar service. All the staff at this hotel were professional, courteous and a pleasure to deal with, especially Daniel in the main office and Troy at the poolside bar. I would recommend this hotel and would stay here again. The traditional Guyanese food at the hotel was excellent!

My suggestions to the hotel: an AC in the gym, a free shuttle to/from Georgetown maybe once a day, and a few lounge chairs by the pool.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Trinidad and Tobago
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Basic business hotel that is a 20 minute taxi drive from Georgetown, the capital city. Don't expect the comfirts of home, but staff is firendly and helpful. Room is ok, but had to keep curtains closed because the view of neraby homes is not attractive.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed November 28, 2013

You won't find a more friendly helpful staff . The food there is great also.
My trip to Guyana was to get engaged to my fiancee .
I was there for a week in Aug 2012 by far the most important time of my life.
Guyana is full of very good and wonderful people everyone i meet there just went out of there way to make my trip something to remember

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple