“Guyana Hotel”

Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Georgetown
New York City, New York
“Guyana Hotel”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

The stay was very pleasant, all the staff from Daniel at the front desk to all the house keeping staff were very accommodating. I travelled to Guyana with my husband and two teenage kids. We got to the hotel early but was still able to check in. The room that I stayed in did not have and iron, when I asked for one the housekeeping staff offered to iron the shirt for me, which she did. The rooms are well kept. The towels could have used a little more fabric softener and it would have been nice if they had bath robes for guest. The food was not bad either. All the waiters and waitress especially Collin and Romin were very courteous and always smiling. It would be nice if they offered guest a drink when the first checked in too. I spent a week and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Sallina A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Busy in Guyana with a project and have stayed in the hotel a few times. The staff here is excellent ! Although the hotel is a little out of the way, it is definitely worth staying here. The rooms are clean, they have cable, aircon, free internet and a nice shower.

Room Tip: The upgrade to the mini suite is well worth the money. For $30 odd dollars to upgrade from the doub...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
6 Thank George v
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 20, 2013

During my previous work trips to Guyana I found it convenient to base my stay at the Pegasus Hotel. It's easy to dismiss poor service and worn out accommodations to being in a developing country. However, on this trip I moved my base of operations to the Grand Coastal Inn. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Ten minutes via cab and it's like being in another world of service and accommodations.

Limited flights means late arrivals. When my colleague and I arrived at the Grand Coastal at 3am, the desk clerk had our reservation information ready and available. We were quickly taken to our rooms, which were very clean and comfortable. The selection for breakfast was ample and decently priced. The wait staff promptly acknowledged my presence, brought over a cup of coffee and took my order. A short time later I had my food, and a refill on the coffee.

Since I had to work in my room prior to leaving the hotel, I asked the cleaning staff to avoid my room until I left. For them, this meant they had to adjust their schedule. No problems at all. They left me alone to work. I left at 2pm, left the maid service tag on the door, and the room was made up by the time I returned at 4pm.

My colleague and I relaxed by the pool that evening. We had a few drinks, which were moderately priced. Again, the wait staff promptly acknowledged us. As our glasses became empty, the staff kept checking to see if we needed refills. Very satisfying to receive this kind of service.

We had dinner at the hotel. Again, a decent selection with moderate prices. Service was outstanding. Don't expect a full menu, but you can and will be satisfied with what is offered.

The hotel is a short drive away from the center of Georgetown. The hotel will help you get a cab. They select the better cabs for your protection. You can call the hotel when you want to return. They will dispatch a cab for you. You can feel safe while at the hotel property.

There are a few areas that I would have to note. My room had a safe, but it was somewhat small. It could not hold both my computer and my camera. I did feel comfortable leaving my computer in my brief case and storing the brief case in the closet. The hotel in on a busy road. If you come here, request a room away from the road. My colleague's room faced the road. He complained about the noise. Not a fault of the hotel!

As a small hotel, it has to compete in a tight market. The Grand Coastal sets itself apart by the attention it gives to its customers. I will use this hotel for my future trips, I suggest you give it a try as well.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms by the road--somewhat noisy.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank gerard D
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Where to start on my review, first of all it was the BEST birthday/vacation ever....I want to say that my stay at the Grand Coastal is what really made my stay in guyana the best ever....Mr. Ramesh and Daniel was very helpful and always has a smile....thanks to you guys....This is a family friendly hotel, the rooms are very comfortable and clean....the suites has down comforters and a king size bed, very comfy....the staff at Grand Coastal were always helpful and pleasant....the massage was amazing....Grand coastal has another 10 rooms house five minutes away that accomodates a large family, incl. kitchen, living room, ocean view, each room has it's own bathroom and maid services...they also shuttle you back to the hotel free of charge, and it's a little closer to georgetown ( prices are a little cheaper ) .....They have taxi services and any request are always accomodated...A shout out to Data, Sunita, Suresh, Mahendra and all the other staff....i am still too tired from my fabulous vacation to remember everyone's name (sorry)....keep up the good work.....food service could be a little faster.....Bibi Mallay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank bibi620
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Although I have heard much about Guyana this was my first trip there. We were a party of 5 celebrating a birthday. We had initial difficulty deciding where to stay in Georgetown but finally settled on Grand Coastal because of the good reviews which are justified. I cannot say enough of how well we were treated - everyone did their best to make our stay as comfortable as possible. Staff at the front desk were great, even the driver for the shuttle once we got used to his accent. Wait staff were very knowledgeable, friendly and helpful - even preparing fruit we bought at the market and presenting them in a very pleasant manner without any complaints. There was no extra charge for this service. Definitely affordable and excellent value for money. Although breakfast was not included the 5 of us got enough from 3 orders to completely satisfy us and they even prepared the meals half an hour before they were supposed to open the dining area in order to accommodate our early morning tours. Little inconveniences such as mosquitoes could be tolerated and compensated by the attention of the staff.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Edward Y
North Battleford, Canada
Reviewed March 16, 2013

My first time to Guyana, and although in a pretty environment, Georgetown was a jumbled mess. The Grand Coastal Inn, however, was an oasis. It is kept very clean, the staff was super nice, and it was affordable. I would definitely go back here when in Georgetown.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Xeon25
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I have had two associated foreign business groups, who were visiting me, stay at the Grand Coastal. All of them have spoken well of the clean and comfortable accommodation. The hotel situated on the main highway along the Atlantic coast, east of town. It is only a 10-15 minute drive into the main business sector of Georgetown and thus convenient for business visitors. The hotel has a nice little pool for relaxation after a busy day. There is a pleasant poolside bar to help you shed the stress of a hard day downtown. Try an Eldorado 15 year old Demerara rum with coconut water - this is the local elexir to cheer you up and replenish your electrolytes.
The staff are efficient and polite. I have eaten dinner there and the service, although somewhat slow a la Caribbean, is good. The menu offers you a good choice of local foods and international dishes.
Above all, the prices are right!! Good value!

Room Tip: Everyone says - ask for an upstairs room. It is quieter.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank RMORTON
Also consider these accommodations in or near Georgetown
Guyana Marriott Hotel Georgetown
#2 of 20 in Georgetown
Baganara Island Resort
Baganara Island Resort
#1 of 2 in Bartica

Been to Grand Coastal Hotel? Share your experiences!