“Exactly what I was looking for!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Georgetown
The New Tropicana Hotel
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I will start this off by saying, you get what you pay for! Jerries "New Tropicana Hotel" was exactly what I was looking for. No, there was no A/C, there was no fancy restaurant attached, there was no pool, and no gym. But that's not what I was going to Guyana for...if I wanted that, I would go to the local gym here at home! There was a fan in the room to give you a little breeze. The windows opened to bring in fresh air. There was a mosquito net to keep the bugs from getting you all night. There was a bed and a bathroom. That was really all I was looking for! I mean, for the price you pay, you can't expect a whole lot more than that! I LOVED it. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Jerry drove us around to show us the sites of Georgetown one night. Jerry was always coming over to talk with us too! The whole experience was one I would never trade for anything! The website does say it is a backpacker's hotel, so I mean you really can not expect more than that, right?? Jerries offered everything I needed, and was perfect! If you are one that does not do well with minimal...I would not suggest Jerries, but for everyone else...THIS IS THE SPOT TO GO!!!! I look forward to going back for sure!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mitchjch
There are newer reviews for The New Tropicana Hotel

Reviewed May 8, 2013

When we looked at this place here before we went we noticed one thing it is listed as a Backpackers hotel. This told us that it wouldn't be like the Ritz, but it was cheap and that was what we needed. When we arrived the owner, Jerry, had a guy waiting for us. We had to pay for him, which was fine. We got back to Jerries and were shown our room. It was small but it had a bed, shower, toilet and a fan. It was in an awesome location. Walking distance to the markets and malls. The people that work at Jerries are amazing! They made sure we felt welcome. Sure there were some things that were not "perfect." The shower didn't drain. We would shower at night and it took all night to drain. The toilet also flushed funny. But they are things that made it fun. I would recommend this place to anyone who wants to have a local experience. If you want ac, or more luxury there is a place around the corner, but it doesn't give you the G'town feel.

Room Tip: ask for third floor. Room 11 and 12 were the two we got to see. They are great.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I found the Tropicana to be a quirky kind of place, but I liked it. I asked for a 'quiet' room and got one up on the second floor. I didn't have any problems with the noise and slept quite soundly. They have mosquito nets, but with the fan going in the room, the mosquitoes weren't a problem.

I liked that there was a rack for drying my hand-washed clothes. The shower plugged up badly and I had to ask for it to be fixed (the technician was a guy from the restaurant with a plunger, but hey, it did the trick. The ball of hair that ended up in the toilet from plunging the shower was kind of gross, as was the bottom of the shower curtain).

Every time I reported something to the staff, they dealt with it pretty quickly, e.g. all the lights were burned out in the upstairs hallway but once I reported it, they all got new bulbs. I did lose a granola bar to a mouse and I also reported that (and handed over the chewed up granola bar as evidence).

The hotel location was really good, handy for everything, and I felt safe there. The staff were nice, too. I was a bit dubious of the food downstairs at Jerrie's and only ate the chicken as a lot of the other stuff looked like it could have been sitting for a while.

All in all, a decent room for a decent price, and I'd stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 1, 2013

This is a good place for travelers to stay. It's cheap and located in a good and central part of Georgetown. The hotel is located above Jerries, a popular late night hot spot (you have to go to Jerries if you're in Georgetown..). The bar is open late, all night I think, and if you end up getting a room above a speaker, you're probably not going to sleep through the night. That being said, if you can't sleep, you should join the party! Or go sit outside in the common room, or the "balcony," you're bound to meet another interesting traveler who can share stories and tips with you. They have free internet, and allow you to use their computers, however it's quite slow (but who cares go explore!). The rooms are sparse but clean, and the staff is helpful.

Room Tip: Try to request a room not above the front of the bar.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank SarahMB28
Reviewed November 24, 2012

In a good location, within walking distance to Stabroek Market and a few "malls", right around the corner from two restaurants. Buses are a two minute walk away. Taxis are almost always parked in front.

The restaurant/bar downstairs "Jerry's All Night Long" lives up to its name, and is famous amongst locals as the place to go when most places are closed.

This place is Guyana.

At $25US a night this is a great bargain for people willing to overlook a few little things.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed August 15, 2011

This location is perfect for the 'Hostel' traveler on a low budget. It is an old building, clean rooms but lacking almost everything. It does not pretend to be more. Jerries downstairs is the hot hot hot late night bar spot for meeting friends and pretty good food. Everybody in town visits Jerries. If from out of town you must visit Jerries for sure. There is one place like Jerries in every city in the world and this one is the Georgetown special. A must visit. As to staying well if it is overnight you should be fine but an extended stay I would rule out. After a week you will here music for months ringing in your ears. A boasting product. YOU DID JERRIES!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed June 2, 2010

I spent 2 nights there. The first room was quite pretty with mosquito net and toilet with seat, but the window was broken. On the ground floor there is a bar which was opened until 7 am and the party was going on. The music was so loud, I could hardly sleep, however I am told to be a good sleeper anytime. I thought the music is so loud because of the broken window. So I asked for another room. It was smaller and had no seat on the toilet. I didn’t excepted much, but I think this place is not for rest at all. The location is excellent, the bus to Lethem departures right in front of the hostel. They offer you free internet, but usually all the 4 PC are occupied by locals. The staff is friendly and helpful. They cook well. The locals also call it Jerry’s, beside Tropicana, because of the owner’s name.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo