“Sofitsicated South American City”
Review of Bogota

Sponsored by:
Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Sponsored by:
A TripAdvisor Member
“Sofitsicated South American City”
Reviewed July 1, 2005

Wow!! Bogota and Colombia blew me away. The setting is truly spectacular, tall green mountains on one side, perched on a high plateau. Great spring like weather. It has a European feel to it, did not feel like in one of the more indeginous countries of Latin America. We felt that the Spanish culture has been preserved there much more than any other latin country that we have been too. Wide avenues, beautiful churches, grand palaces, lush green parks and roadways. Posh dsitricts with very compelling post modern architecture.

I highly recommend: View fom Monserratte, The candelaria colonial area, the Museo Botero and Banco de la Republica, National Museum, The Chico Museum, Taxi ride on Circunvalar road, the Zona Rosa, the Parque 93, Teusaquillo ( beautiful 1920's english style neigborhood), The Chico Sector especially 11 avenue. The Cathedral of Zipaquira day trip. And if you can Villa de leiva about 4 hours away, but like stepping back in time - you think you might see Don Quijote.

The people are very gracious, polite and helpful. We felt VERY safe at all times. Try the restaraunt scene! I have been to most South American Cities, Bogota rivals Santiago and Buenos Aires. We met many European tourists, it appears that Colombia's reputation is not as bad as in the states. It is quite modern and clean. The prices are not bad, not dirt cheap, actually more expensive than Buenos Aires.

We also went to Medellin - Beautiful city and Beautiful people!! The view as one descend the mountains to Medellin is STUNNING. We stayed at Dann Carlton Hotel in Poblado and loved the place. If you go check out parque lleras at night!! Also take a tour in the "Oriente District", especially El Penol lake area!! Very European. Cartagena was also drop dead gorgeous.

All in all, I can see Colombia becoming the next IT place. Don't be afraid to go. Crime is down like 200% since the bad old days.

14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
“Loved Bogota”
Reviewed March 21, 2005

I had a fantastic visit to Bogota! All we ever hear is drugs and kidnappings. No one tells you that it is as green as Ireland, the people are warm and friendly, the Museo d'Oro is a site to be seen, as in Cathedral de Sal, and Monserrat. Not to mention the fantastic coffee. Oma has wonderful Chocolate covered coffee beans! And if you are looking for a souvenir, I highly recommend the historical music collection of Columbian music (5 CD's and one DVD of all of Columbia.) It is well worth the $40 or so dollars. I bought it at the music shop at Exito.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
“Another world here, now my paradise!!”
Reviewed December 20, 2004

bogota is the best city of colombia... you can find everything: nice people, delicious food,all kind of bars for partying every day, streets wih lots of history, the old and the modern city all mixed, and if you don't believe IT'S SAFE!!! yes i know what people say about the security but anyway, every corner of this world has its ups and downs...
Ah, beautiful women, you feel diferent here, its the charm, the colombian and also the foreign people who live here (italian, french, american, spanish.....), its a new world here, its one of the latin american cities i know that can keep all the charm through the time.
Anyway, most of time its not very hot. Weather wise is cold almost all the time but it is not a problem, they are 2600mt (sea level) and its normal, but... wowowow lot of beautiul mountains, lands, landscapes, its magic... i loved it and i still dream of it.
If you want to find out more i can say that not only bogota but all colombia has the most beautiful landscapes i have never seen in all my life, nothing to do with european landscapes because here the nature is growing everywhere with lots of nuances and beautiful colors. I also know Villa de Leyva, Paipa, Coffee Park (Armenia, Quindio), Pasto, Guajira (a paradise!!!!!), Capurgana.......... well... you must come here and please... DON'T READ THE NEWS BEFORE COMMING, YOU WILL NEVER REGRET IT!!!

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
“A wonderful country”
Reviewed September 22, 2004

Well I will start out by saying that the people of Colombia are warm and freindly. It was my first trip there and of course you have to do a little reading first about Bogota, and it is all bad news. I have to say that a lot of it may be true but I had a great experience. Nobody kidnapped me or robbed me in the street. The city is a very busy place. I have never seen that much traffic in my entire 35 years on earth. Things there are cheap, beer for about 50 cents was pretty good for me. I stayed with some family freinds of mine. They were very hospitable and I enjoyed there company very much. The main reason I went was to visit a very good freind of mine that I met when she visited her family in the U.S. Xiomara is her name and she is a wonderful person. She took me to many places and we had a great time. We went on a bus they call a chiva, and let me tell you when someone says to you "don't drink to much nectar" listen to them, she took a lot of pictures and there are a few that I couldn't remember being in but it was something I will never forget. The weather was cool and luckily I brought the sun with me because it only rained 2 days. One night that was pretty late I had to take a taxi back to where I was staying and I was not worried untill he got lost, but luckily I saw some streets that looked familiar so I helped him in the right direction. If you don't speak a lot of spanish you might want to study it a little before you go because not to many people speak English, my freind did so she was my interprator, thanks Xiomi. When I went to leave at El dorado Intl airport I almost missed my freind she was inside and I was outside, my luck, but we met up and talked before I departed. It took me longer to drive back from Miami than it did to fly to South America. All I can say is don't beleive everything that you hear about Colombia, yes some may be true, but you have to be careful just like any other city you have never been to. I loved it and am already planning my next trip and hope it will be soon. Go Bogota...

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Been to Bogota? Share your experiences!