“Best in Bogota”

Ranked #11 of 2,756 Restaurants in Bogota
Cuisines: Colombian, Mediterranean, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Matiz is a restaurant where you will find nothing but the most personalized service. The cuisine is caracterized to be very eclectic and contemporary, we use the best ingredients and the chef, Nicolas Quintano, is behind every preparation. At Matiz you will find colombian Haute cuisine mixed with some peruvian, chilean, oriental and mediterranean influences combined with the best service in town.
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

I just wanted to share what a fantastic meal we had at Matiz. Everything was spot on and every dish was incredible. We enjoyed the 8 Course Tasting Menu and every dish was presented by the head chef. Go for the octopus, short rib, pork belly and crab linguine. Bravo to Matiz!!

3  Thank devotioncafe

Reviewed June 20, 2013

We had the tasting menu, and everything was delicious, especially the pork. The service is great too and the restaurant is very pretty. The only bad thing was that they gave me fish that wasn´t fresh, it didn´t taste good but i tasted my mom´s dish that was the same and that one was nice, it was bad luck on mi side that i got that piece of fish. Other than that everything was delicious, i would definitely come back.

1  Thank Adricbravo
Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

Wife and I had a fantastic dinner. We went for the degustation menu which is highly recommended; the chef Nicolás Quintano presents each dish at the table. Dish after dish of amazing food, with surprising flavours and ingredient combinations, like blue cheese and honey salad with seared beef, or homemade vermicelli with king crab and chilli, and a feast of desserts. Try to sit in the terrace, which is cozy and romantic.

1  Thank Jalagon
Reviewed June 9, 2013

This was a top class dining experience . The meal, wine and service all perfect with attention to detail that could not be faultered . The chef took the time to explain the menu and later was available to answer a few technical questions. His enthusiasm, knowledge and passion for food was obvious.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

This was my second visit to this culinary destination in Bogota and both visits were pleasant surprises for the palate. I would consider Matiz one of the three best restaurants in Bogota. We were seated at a beautiful table in front of the water wall, and the service was European style professional without hovering over the table. The lighting, music and ambiance were all very romantic. For cocktails, I had a martini which was prepared at the table. You have to request water as it is not proffered or automatically served. My guest had a kir royale which was loaded with creme de cassis and accompanied by a small split of Mumm's champagne. We did not order the bottle (and I saw other tables having glasses of champagne), so I believe this was an effort to serve a pricier wine to dubious tourists.

Bread arrived shortly and was a mixture of corn bread, flat bread and arepa style rolls all warm and inviting. We chose the 8 course tasting menu for the meal at a price 120,000 pesos per person (about $70). The first course was an amuse bouche of salmon tartar served in a Japanese soup spoon and was tasty, clean and fresh. Also, we were served a smoked eggplant dip (similar to baba ganoush) which was excellent with the flat bread. We received various courses throughout the evening and all were explained in detail by Chef Nicolas Quintano personally at the table in either Spanish or English. The ceviche of sea bass was a nice starter which demonstrated Nicolas' Peruvian heritage. Next was Dungeness crab served on a small bed of homemade angel hair pasta accompanied with a sauce of garlic and olive oil and was nothing short of exquisite. Also, the pork belly was nice with a serving of sushi rice and a tiny ball of avocado (which I thought was wasabi) and all accented with soy sauce. One dish was accompanied by plantain gnocchi which were almost burned and tough and inedible which should not have made it to the table without inspection..

The final meat course was ground duck confit wrapped in duck ham. The ham was so salty that the confit was over powered and tasteless. Nicolas does a much better job on fish than meat dishes and perhaps, in the future, I would stick to those or ask that the tasting menu include only his fish dishes. The dessert was nothing exceptional with bits of chocolate, ice creams and brittles and meringues decorated about the plate (pretty but not great). We also enjoyed some gold leaf chocolate truffles which were nice. The wine list is impressive but pricey and has many hard to find South American selections. We had a nice robust Pinot Noir from Patagonia which went nicely with all courses.

Overall, the restaurant pleases at a very high level (and high prices to go along with it). Remember to reserve ahead and if two in your party ask for the center table in front of the water wall. Nicolas is charming and for him to describe each course personally indicates his pride in his culinary skills and kitchen. I would most certainly return!!!!

2  Thank pensando42