All reviews hot water bottles la candelaria busy city bogota bike tour taxi driver dorm
Reviewed January 7, 2010

Guest hostal set around two courtyards in old home in historic part of Bogota. Easy 10-minute walk to Plaza Bolivar and surrounding attractions. 10 or 15 minutes to walk to closest Transmilenio station. Taxis can be called. The owner, Margarita, speaks fluent English and French. She has a superb staff of young women who are accommodating, friendly, very good at communicating with guests who have only limited Spanish. The rooms are spotless, well-designed, each with a desk with good lighting, shelves long enough for many books and much clothing; floors are waxed wood. The six bathrooms are well-tended, with good hot-water supply. Excellent security. Community kitchen is also well-tended; guests are welcome to cook, keep supplies in refrigerator. Cable TV in the kitchen; board games; huge numbers of books (most seem to be in English). Very quiet. No partying. Great for all ages (I'm retired). During one week, I met interesting people from Sweden, Costa Rica, the U.S., Uruguay, Argentina, France, Canada.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed December 10, 2009

The name Anandamayi shoul be enough to clue the potential guest in to the fact that this hostal values peace and tranquility. It has a somewhat Eastern flair.
Other reviewers have mentioned the quietness of the place, so I think that the previous reviewer who complained about the quiet, had not done sufficient research, or they would have gone elsewhere.in the first place.

Sitting in the morning sunshine in the serene courtyard with a cup of tea and a good book is my idea of Nirvana.

My experience wiith booking by email is that the owner replied to my enquiry immediately, and requested that I a) reconfirmed my desire to stay as soon as she replied, and b) that I reconfirmed again 2 weeks prior to my arrival.

The location is very central in the delightful Old City Candalaria quarter. The main square is less than 10 minutes walk away - downhill.

There is no food service at the hostal, but there is a well equipped kitchen and a fridge. Tea was available, free of charge, all day long.

There are a variety of rooms, dorms, rooms without bath and rooms with en-suite baths. The rooms without baths are well supplied with multiple communal bathrooms.

Everything is spotlessly clean. There are plenty of blankets on the beds, and hot water in the shower 24/7. The hand basin in my room had only one tap though - cold. If ayone felt the cold at night, hot water bottles are available, and that will also give you some warm water in the morning if you don´t want to shower.

My room (twin single beds with bath) had a TV and it was possible to get BBC, CNN, Deutschewelle and RAI as well as all the Spanish language channels. There is free internet access available.

The staff were very helpful, but only the owner speaks English. Dona Marguarita was extreemly helpful when I needed tp buy specific photo equipment, phoning around to find a place where it was in stock. On my own could have spent a whole day running around and still ot found what I needed.

I paid 70,000 pesos per night.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed November 23, 2009

We had, or at least I thought we had, a reservation for a few days stay in the end of December 2009 based on the responses I received (have still saved the emails).
I was asked to reconfirm our arrival a couple of weeks before we departed for Bogota.

Being paranoid I asked for a reservation confirmation around the middle of November and got a response saying that they were full and we should try elsewhere.

If not for this, I would have continued to assume we had confirmed accommodations. I would have sent in what I thought was a reconfirmation email a couple of weeks before our trip to find out that there was no accommodation for us - which would have caused quite the scramble.
So finding out earlier certainly was better for us but for this place to randomly decide if they do or do not have accommodation -after telling someone that they have availability -is no way to run a business.

If as a traveler, you cannot take for granted that you have accommodations based on email responses then that's just too much of a pain when there’s a 100 other things about a trip that you have to worry about.

Clearly a majority of the people who have reviewed this place have had a good experience but we will be telling everyone we know going to Bogota to avoid this place.

Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank adhiya
Reviewed July 14, 2009

Anandamayi is a wonderful well run and peaceful place to stay. The cosy kitchen with a wood stove, the well designed bathrooms which are spotless, the lovely staff and owner, the beautiful patio gardens and an excellent location in upper Candelaria make it one of the best hostels we have stayed in. Just what you need in Bogota.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 17, 2009

I loved this hostel! Almost every single person who stayed there when we were there was in Bogotá for business/ research purposes (researchers, writers, etc.). The peaceful, quiet atmosphere was perfect for getting away from the hubbub of Bogotá's traffic and for working. There was no loud music at night, so you could get a good night's rest. The rooms, bathrooms and kitchen were clean, the staff were very helpful, there were hot showers and warm beds.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple