This hostel was almost too good. It has spoilt me for other hostels! I planned to stay about 5 nights, and ended up staying 11.
Things that make this hostel great:
- A lovely garden
- A good included breakfast: an egg, 3 pieces of bread, 2 types of jam, fresh sweet tomato juice, tea and coffee (the tea is always available, and there are 3 different types), cheese, hot chocolate. The staff were often nice enough to leave the 'cleaning up' 'til a little later when scruffy, sleepy guests slept in 'til almost 10am
- Lovely rooms, with extra blankets, 'treasure chest' lockers big enough to fit all your valuables easily, bedside tables and individual lamps
- Little extras like hot water bottles at night (so spoilt!)
- Friendly staff
- A safe environment (the front gate and door are kept locked, and you buzz to be let in 24/7)
- Great, clean individual bathrooms with toilet, shower, basin all-in-one; plenty of room to change and decent hot water. Towels provided.
- Calm and peaceful atmosphere. Sometimes quiet music playing, a central kitchen/common room which is often lovely and warm, heated by a wood stove. This is obviously not a big party hostel, but the setup means it is easy to meet other travelers, and it is close to some good bars and restaurants too.
One thing to note: there is a tip included when your bill is calculated. I chose to not pay this after only 10 minutes in the hostel, but was more than happy to tip well at the end of the stay (you can put cash in the little treasure box near one of the doors in the kitchen). Tips are for good service, and I certainly felt the employees at Anandamayi did great work keeping the place clean, with friendly conversation and smiles, advice, and other little kindnesses.
I've been traveling for about 9 months (this trip) and have stayed in countless hostels over the last 12 years. This place makes my top 5. Do yourself a favour and stay here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Anandamayi is a very comfortable and inexpensive Hostel & Hotel in the most beautiful colonial house in la Candelaria old town. It has 3 poetic and colourful patios with hammocks and geraniums; a wonderful ancient garden with waterfalls, fish ponds and incredibly friendly hummingbirds; Nice and clean rooms and an attic from where you can see the sunrise behind Private Monserrate and hear the bells from the old churches and cathedral; and at sunset, the martial band when they change the guard at the presidential palace which is just around the corner. Anandamayi can lodge 27 people.' love all, serve all' are it's aims.All museums, theatres and major attractions like the Quinta de Bolivar, Monserrate Sanctuary, the Botero Museum, Gold Museum, Luis Angel Arango library, colonial churches and historical monuments are within walking distance. On week-ends you can join ecological trekking groups that follow the ancient Indian roads: lots of Sun, exercise and beautiful scenery. You can enjoy the super location of this safe and drugs-free place and yet you will be surprised at how quiet it is inside, and how friendly and homely the atmosphere is. Writers, painters and poets often stay for a long time. Price includes:A very good continental breakfast, taxes, linen and towels, hot water, free wireless, safe box, luggage storage, laundry service, common room with cable TV and lots of good films, a superb garden, good books, good vib, the possibility to cook your own food like in your own home, and take a very good rest and sleep. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HostelWorld, Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia and Odigeo so you can book your Anandamayi Hostel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Anandamayi Hotel Bogota