All reviews hot water bottles la candelaria busy city bogota bike tour taxi driver dorm
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We got a twin private room with shared bath, which was more expensive than a lot of the hotels we stayed at. That's okay, but the service and amenities are clearly at hostel level. Breakfast is a hostel breakfast (serve yourself white bread and fruit, etc), the shared bathroom is clean enough but has limited hot water, the rooms are quiet and clean but cold, the WIFI is weak (didn't work in our room) and the staff staunchly refuse to speak ANY word of English. We didn't mind busting out our broken Spanish, but it would be nice to have a little help on certain words like "key deposit". All in all our stay was fine, and the place is cute, but given the other options in the city we found the private rooms in Anandamayi to be overpriced.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 23, 2012

From the colour co-ordinated dorm room (pink for girls, blue for boys), to the amazing breakfast, which is a absolute feast for the taste buds, to the exceptional red hot tea and coffee on tap all day, this hostel is worth the little extra! Fresh herbs from the garden are available for you to make your own tea if you fancy something a little special. The rooms are warm and cosy, with hot water bottles for your feet at night. We went on a day trip and the owner gave me the choice of about 10 wool wraps round cardigans to use so i wasn't cold while out and about during the day. The garden is a little zen space with nice views of the statue of on the mountain in the distance.
Loved the chilled vibe, just totally loved it!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 13, 2012

This is a beautiful place in the Candaleria District-Bogota. A very peaceful hostel with dorms and private rooms close to museums,etc. I would really recommend this place to a person or persons who want to go sightsee,then chill.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 11, 2011

I just stayed at the Anandamayi Hostel at the beginning and again at the end of my trip to Colombia. I can only describe my stay there as " just wonderful "
Last year when i visited Bogota i stayed in a party hostal which i also enjoyed but this time i was looking for somewhere more relaxing. The whole atmosphere is so tranquil, and the gardens around the hostel are a great place to relax in after a day of sightseeing, with lots of plants, little ponds and bonsai trees set around old colonial architecture.The staff ( a group of 4 or 5 ladies ) are very kind and are always on hand to help with any information you need. As noted by other reviewers, in the evening they will come around and ask if you would like a hot water bottle for your bed, or if you ask them, they will prepare one for you. I stayed in the dorm which was very comfortable and the shared bathrooms are big and immaculately clean. Internet and a light healthy breakfast is also included. I would recommend this place to anybody who is not looking for a party hostel. If i return to Bogota i would definately stay here again. Thanks Anandamayi and its staff.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 14, 2011

Charming building in the Caldelaria district. However, when I arrived they tried to give me a room without a bathroom when I had reserved one with. This was rectified quickly but I had to carry my own luggage even though the young woman looked at my luggage and then at me. I was bringing a new backpack to my backpacking daughter and usually my luggage has wheels so it was difficult for me to carry this backpack. I never was given a receipt after I paid even though I asked for it twice from 2 different employees.

Hardly any English spoken here so if your Spanish is sketchy forget help with sighseeing ideas from the staff. They only take payment in the form of cash, upfront, and then when you arrive and they add up what your bill is they thrown in a 10% tip item! My room was quiet but very cold. The only hot water available is when you take a shower and you'd better make it quick or you'll run out.

Now, on the plus side, they do provide lots of good wool blankets in you unheated room. The breakfast consisted of granola (no limit), coffee, tea, milk, hardboiled eggs (one per customer), two kinds of bread (four per customer), fruit (three per customer), fruit juice, and jams and butter. The location is good and the building is secure. The common room where breakfast is served, there is a computer for guest use, books, and games, is a nice warm place.

So, as my title state, "Mixed feelings on this property."

Room Tip: If you can, check out a few rooms before you unpack as each room is so different.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo