All reviewshot water bottlesla candelariabusy citybogota bike tourtaxi driverdorm
Reviewed January 13, 2012

This is a beautiful place in the Candaleria District-Bogota. A very peaceful hostel with dorms and private rooms close to museums,etc. I would really recommend this place to a person or persons who want to go sightsee,then chill.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 11, 2011

I just stayed at the Anandamayi Hostel at the beginning and again at the end of my trip to Colombia. I can only describe my stay there as " just wonderful "
Last year when i visited Bogota i stayed in a party hostal which i also enjoyed but this time i was looking for somewhere more relaxing. The whole atmosphere is so tranquil, and the gardens around the hostel are a great place to relax in after a day of sightseeing, with lots of plants, little ponds and bonsai trees set around old colonial architecture.The staff ( a group of 4 or 5 ladies ) are very kind and are always on hand to help with any information you need. As noted by other reviewers, in the evening they will come around and ask if you would like a hot water bottle for your bed, or if you ask them, they will prepare one for you. I stayed in the dorm which was very comfortable and the shared bathrooms are big and immaculately clean. Internet and a light healthy breakfast is also included. I would recommend this place to anybody who is not looking for a party hostel. If i return to Bogota i would definately stay here again. Thanks Anandamayi and its staff.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 14, 2011

Charming building in the Caldelaria district. However, when I arrived they tried to give me a room without a bathroom when I had reserved one with. This was rectified quickly but I had to carry my own luggage even though the young woman looked at my luggage and then at me. I was bringing a new backpack to my backpacking daughter and usually my luggage has wheels so it was difficult for me to carry this backpack. I never was given a receipt after I paid even though I asked for it twice from 2 different employees.

Hardly any English spoken here so if your Spanish is sketchy forget help with sighseeing ideas from the staff. They only take payment in the form of cash, upfront, and then when you arrive and they add up what your bill is they thrown in a 10% tip item! My room was quiet but very cold. The only hot water available is when you take a shower and you'd better make it quick or you'll run out.

Now, on the plus side, they do provide lots of good wool blankets in you unheated room. The breakfast consisted of granola (no limit), coffee, tea, milk, hardboiled eggs (one per customer), two kinds of bread (four per customer), fruit (three per customer), fruit juice, and jams and butter. The location is good and the building is secure. The common room where breakfast is served, there is a computer for guest use, books, and games, is a nice warm place.

So, as my title state, "Mixed feelings on this property."

Room Tip: If you can, check out a few rooms before you unpack as each room is so different.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank DoreenMorelia
Reviewed September 23, 2011

Very quaint and quiet hostel. We enjoyed use of the common area with kitchen at this hostel and playing games near the wood fired stove while our food cooked. Avoid getting rooms near the road and entrance because they can be loud at the wee hours with cars zooming down the street. Another thing to keep in mind is the rooms are not heated. There are plenty of blankets but if you are sensitive to cold you may want to consider staying elsewhere. The value for the location is great and the staff are nice. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed September 17, 2011

This hostel is located in a 400 yr old building on the border of the rough south side of Bogotá. Large rooms, very cold at night, especially as the mattress covers are plastic. Lots of dark colors, guru images and yoga chant music. The common room is pleasant and warmed by a wood stove. Adequate cold breakfast buffet, rooms are a bit pricey for no private bathroom. The taxi driver was unable to access the address despite having been given detailed instructions, and as the price was mounting (we were going in circles), I told him to let me off as close as he could get which was a couple blocks away, and had to walk in an unsafe area, not pleasant, as it was in the evening. Overall, my stay was okay, the place definitely has a monastery feel. I was much more comfortable when I moved to Hotel Lido just down from Plaza Bolivar, a much safer area with warmer, welcoming staff.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo