“Basic hotel in unsafe area”
Review of Abadia Colonial

Abadia Colonial
Ranked #124 of 268 Hotels in Bogota
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Recently spent four nights here. The hotel is in the middle of La Candelaria, the old part of the city. Whilst full of character and nice to wander around during the daytime, after dark the area is unsafe and you need to take taxis to get anywhere. Not too many places to eat in the area in the evenings and we ended up taking the 30 minute taxi ride to the Zona Rosa in the north of the city.

The facilities are basic. We stayed in a suite, clean but no frills. No wifi signal in the room. There are two courtyards that are ok but I feel they could make much more of these areas.

Breakfast was average, coffee not good unfortunately.

Staff were lovely and extremely helpful.

If I returned to Bogotá I would stay in the safer north of the city.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Welsh_traveller1965
paolonerocchi, Gerente at Abadia Colonial, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2013

Dear Mr Welsh,
I feel in duty to answer you, taking more care of the Candelaria neighborhood than our hotel.The town center has an old style fashion and it’s full of museums and historical buildings. You had the chance to stay in an old restructured house and feel as a bogotan resident how lived here more than two hundred years ago.
Wolking the Candelaria streets and came back for a nap and going out again to visit museum or have a coffe in the Chorro de Quevedo without taking any transport it’s delightful. Then, if you are interested to visit the modern side of the city, you must take a public transport of course, how you will do in any other city of the world. Also you had to do the same if you were staying in the north of the city to visit the center who is the very interesting place of the city.As I got to tell her directly you were our guests during the holidays and year-end all universities and commercial activity are closed. It is completely different in the rest of the year where one can find more than three hundred restaurants and discos.We apologize for the technical problems with the wi-fi but if he had warned could solve the problem.
We thank you for choosing our hotel.
Paolo Rocchi

Reviewed January 27, 2013

I spent 6 nights at Abadia Colonial and have high praise for it. The hotel staff is exceptionally friendly and helpful. My only concern is for non-spanish fluent guests. My spanish is really terrible, but since I am traveling with a fluent speaker, everything was fine. The few times I attempted to communicate directly with the front desk, I felt that it was quite difficult to do. Perhaps they figured out that my friend was the better one to talk to and so didn't try very hard. I certainly felt nothing but good intent from everyone here.
The location is really an important consideration, given the transportation situation in Bogota. You can walk easily to most of the major tourist destinations in the city, esp. the Gold Museum, Museo del Oro, which is not to be missed! Public transit is very crowded and we did not attempt to figure it out. We had the hotel call taxis for us when we wanted to venture further out, and hired a driver for one day to go to the Salt Cathedral and dinner at Andres Carne de Res- another not to be missed experience.
The hotel is in a colonial era building which means that rooms open on to interior courtyards and are not bright and light. The owner, Paulo, who is here most of the time, has put a lot of thought and expense into making this place comfortable and easy. The restaurant has good enough food that dinner here is a lovely alternative to heading out into the city after a long day of touring around. Breakfast is especially nice, served in the only room on the 2nd floor, with tables both inside or outside on the front balcony or outside on the rear balcony looking out at mountains and rooftops. I'd stay here again without any question.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I recently spent a total of eight nights at this hotel while a month in Colombia. It is the perfect example of a little hotel one hopes to find while traveling anywhere.

It is clean, comfortable, reasonable but even more important a very friendly place to come "home" to at the end of the day.

The staff are, to a person, efficient, kind and personable. The restaurant has a large menu and the food was generally very good (try the pasta with avocado) .

As a single traveler I found the hotel guests very friendly and I believe it was due to the management and the staff. I met some very interesting people staying there.

Room Tip: I lloved my small room off the first courtyard - I think I would avoid the rooms off the restaurant
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Situated in a good area in La Candelaria this hotel makes it a great place to explore this part of the city on foot. Great rooms,food and courtyards. The staff are always helpful and friendly. A good choice.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ARRHL
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I spent almost a month in the hotel Abadia Colonial in the characteristic historical Candelaria city neighbourhood. It was a very pleasant stay, in a perfectly restored colonial house with two internal gardens. The cookery , with attention to the traditional Colombian food but also to an international selection in the menu, suggested me to have many meals in the hotel's elegant restaurant. The rooms are spacious and nicely furnished and the room service at the same time familial and careful.The hotel is very close to the most important museums and libreries. In my opinion it is the more pleasant place to spend a vacation in Bogotà.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 17, 2012

I travelled to Bogota to meet up with my daughter who had completed a school exchange in Colombia. This hotel was a perfect base in the city. It is exactly as advertised on Trip Advisor. The staff are friendly, the rooms clean and inviting, the courtyard a perfect place to relax at the end of the day after a meal in their restaurant and at breakfast you have beautiful views of Monserrate and the Virgin of Guadeloupe. It is reasonably priced and I would definitely return if ever I was to visit the city again.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Lesley C
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Our agent booked us in this Hotel and we were not disappointed. The ride from the airport was organised by the Hotel: was fine! Though this is not a 5 star hotel with pool etc, but it was perfectly fine for 3 good nights in the very middle of the nicest district of Bogota, where most sights and museums are. Within good walking distance!
The room was ample, good beds, lots of blankets (it was cold) and heating in the evening and morning. The breakfast is fine, served in a nice room, and the staff is sweet and efficient. The pizza in the evening was OK. Better to eat down the road, near the Plaza de Boliver, and savour the best "Ajiaco in the World".
The wifi works very well, and is a boon in not yet wifi savy Colombia.
Our only remark: get a room in the second courtyard: quieter

Room Tip: Get a room in the second courtyard: quieter
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple