“Don't stay at this hotel, they steal!”

Hotel Maria Isabel Bogota
Ranked #237 of 266 Hotels in Bogota
Denmark
“Don't stay at this hotel, they steal!”
Reviewed March 9, 2009

This hotel is expensive and the rooms are quite dirty. This seems to be the standard in many Colombian hotels, so I guess you can't hold it against them.

We were 3 people visiting: My wife and I in a double and my mother-in-law in a single room. The hotel still uses keys for its doors, and the room key for our room had disappeared with the last guest, so we had to ask members of the cleaning staff to let us in every time we needed anything.

When we were about to check out, we were asked if we had taken anything from the mini-bar since the day before. We answered "No". This, apparently, was not enough for the staff, so we had to wait until a bell-boy had checked if our statements were true. We had a plane to catch at the airport, but we waited the 5 minutes until he came back. To our dismay he uttered that there was a candybar (Milky Way) missing from one of the minibars. We merely repeated that we had not taken anything from the minibar (It's a matter of policy for me, as hotels overcharge these items with several hundred percent). When he said that it was taken from my mother-in-law's minibar, the situation just became much more absurd, as she has a gastro-intestinal disorder, which means that she can not digest fat. We protested, not for the $4000, but for the fact that my mother-in-law's integrity and honesty was being questioned. The staff was adamant and stood firm on their claim. All I had to say was that I would pay the 4000 pesos and that we would never return. Apparently they are prepared to lose millions of pesos as well as the respect of a customer, for 4000 pesos in blood money. I run a business myself, and I can see that this is a sure way of quickly being out of business. Apparently this kind of logic is lost in the Hotel Maria Isabel.

All I can say is: If you're American or European, or a South American who just wants to be treated like a person, don't stay at this hotel.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank J_Leditzig

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Calgary
Reviewed January 31, 2008

We saw the hotel on line and it looked fairly good and offered airport pick up so we contacted the hotel and booked it for two night.s We arrived and paid the agreed price of 111, 000 pesos for two people for one night. When we went to the room we found the hotel needs refubishing as the carpet is completely worn out. and when we arrived to our room we found it was extremely small so we went to the desk and asked about a larger room. The manager Jose Gomez showed us another room and said it would be jsut a little bit more so we moved to the new room. Our stay in Bogota was extended for 5 nights and when we went to check out we found the price per night was now 254,270 pesos we objected, the manager was not there and would not be there until the afternoon. We had a plane to catch to go to Ecuador so we paid the bill and came back 10 days later to talk to the manager. They had changed our registration to indicate this new price and would not refund us any money. We called the police but they would do nothing as well. I would not advise anyone to stay in this hotel as they are a bunch of crooks and will only ripe you off there are better places to stay in Bogota as we found out.

• Liked — Fairly good location
  • Disliked — Them chaging the room rate after we cecked into the hotel
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank DeliaAlberta

Travelers are raving about these Bogota hotels