“Read up about the history first”

Barrio La Candelaria
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed August 23, 2014

The La Candelaria district is quite interesting. The Spanish clearly had a large settlement in Bogota (unlike in Lima, Peru) and much remains from the early 1700s. The city has made some effort to explain to tourists what is where, by means of signboards on the sidewalks (helpfully in English and Spanish) showing a map and giving information about certain sites. However, there is little else, there are no touristy type books with photos for sale and for certain major sights (such as churches), opening hours are not posted (and one seemed to be closed for two days). Be prepared -- this district could use cleaning and substantial renovation, but at least the original architecture still exists.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,882)

Reviewed August 22, 2014

The whole city of Bogota has an incredible ambience. It has a great mix of old and new. La Candelaria is beautiful and is worth a visit. Allow a decent amount of time to wonder around and take in the beauty.

Reviewed August 21, 2014

I loved the colorful walls and the big, old, wooden doors of some houses of this historic neighborhood in Bogota. There is a small handicraft market who looked interesting.

The Botero Museum, the Gold Museum and the massive (but unfortunately ran by trolls instead of people) Luis Angel Arango Library are located here.

You must pay a visit if you are in Bogota. You can easily spend a full day here, and you will probably be back for more.

1  Thank kontiki7
Reviewed August 20, 2014

I have travelled quite alot and have travelled to quite a few unsafe areas and I have never felt so unsafe as I did in La cendelaria. Although it may be reasonably pretty I was uncomfortable for my entire couple of hours I spent there, me and my girlfriend actually left early. It is a shame but it is true. My friends who live in Bogota said do not stay here after dark aswell which was even more of a reason for me to be unsettled.

I believe there are other things you should prioritise, I could not enjoy it due to the danger.

Reviewed August 19, 2014

We actually stayed in Candelaria which has many of museums, theaters, and plazas. Oh, and the President's residence is there as well and you can pose with the guards in front for a photo. If you are not staying there, you should definitely go to see it. It is quite safe during the day, but we were told not to walk on our own after dark. Also, we didn't realize that the cafes and restaurants do close down around 5 pm and don't serve dinner.

If you are around on Sunday, Calle 7 is a great people watching area since the car traffic is shut down until 2pm. Many bikes and pedestrians with their dogs wonder around. There is also a flea market on Sunday that is fun to walk around.

1  Thank jill k