“Average hotel in La Candelaria”
Review of Hotel de la Opera

Hotel de la Opera
Ranked #32 of 267 Hotels in Bogota
New York, NY
“Average hotel in La Candelaria”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I stayed at this hotel last week on a quick first-time visit to Bogota. The hotel is okay, but I was expecting a little bit more based on the hotel's website.

First the good:
1. The hotel is located smack in the middle of La Candelaria in a beautiful old building.
2. The staff were all very friendly.
3. Very nice breakfast included in the room price.
4. I found the spa to be quite nice for a small hotel.

And the not so good:
1. Despite the fact that I had a printed e-mail confirmation of my reservation when I arrived, the hotel had no record of my booking. I has reserved (and preferred) a room in the older portion of the hotel, but they were not able to honor the reservation in that regard. No explanation or apology was offered and instead they just kind of pretended like it hadn't happened. Obviously I never got to see the more traditional rooms, but the "deco" rooms were rather charmless and drab with dated furniture.
2. While the hotel is good for sightseeing during the day, the surrounding area is absolutely desolate once the sun goes down. There is not an open restaurant or bar anywhere at night. To have any real dining/nightlife options you have to take a 20-25 minute cab ride to the northern part of the city.
3. I was put off by the emphasis on tipping. There are signs throughout the hotel stating that a gratuity is added to your bill, but such gratuity is optional and you can request that it be removed. How awkward for the guest! You have to affirmatively state that you do not want to tip them or else they just add it to your bill?!? The added gratuity was not significant, but in my opinion, the decision to tip should always be at the guest's discretion and they should not be made to feel uncomfortable by having to state that they do not wish to do so. One evening I said I was going to Zona Rosa. Instead of flagging down one of the million yellow taxis, the hotel just gave me a driver affiliated with the hotel. Upon arriving in Zona Rosa in addition to charging me an inflated fare (as compared to what I paid a yellow taxi on my return), the driver specifically said "this does not include the tip." I have to say on this issue the Hotel de la Opera is really poor.
4. The "gym" is basically non-existent.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank padow22
Lina C, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Hotel de la Opera, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear Guest

We appreciate your comments, it help us to improve our services.

We are working in each point you mentioned, about the tip in Colombia we have a law which requires us to publish and ask aprobation of the client.

We hope to have the opportunity to see you back and improve your expectations.

Sincerely;

LINA CARO

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Polish first
Tucson, AZ
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Old hotel with a unique arrangement of rooms. Rooms were very nice and spacious. We were on the 7th floor with no rooms on floors 4, 5 or 6. Have no ideal what was on those floors as neither the elevator or stairway had access to them. Staff was very helpful and friendly. Restaurant was very good with excellent breakfast options. Close to government buildings, Cathedral and Bolivar Plaza. A very secure area with an abundance of police and military presence. Wi Fi and computer service with printer free. Close to numerous restaurants, super market and shopping.

Room Tip: Would suggest one of the upper floors for a quiet evening. Elevators are slow but they get the job d...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
servicioalcliente, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel de la Opera, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear guest

We appreciate the time you take for share about our Hotel.

It is so good for us, to hear about clients like you, who enjoy the stay, we work every day for improve our service.

Please consider De La Ópera Hotel your home in Bogotá.

Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Today my wife and I decided to take a walk in central Bogota, and of course we had to include a brief stop at the Hotel De La Opera where we had stayed several times in the past and had had such wonderful experiences. We just wanted to go to The Mirador and have a cup of coffee while enjoying the wonderful view which reminds us of Rome.
After taking the elevator to the third floor and walking up a circular staircase, we arrived and were met by a server who notified us that we could not enter the Mirador because it was reserved for an evening event. This was about 400pm. After trying to convince him that it was only for a cup of coffee, he did not offer any explanations, was not very friendly which resulted in us loosing our desire for the coffee.
What a dissapointment!! We will think twice again before considering going there again, and we expressed this feeling to the receptionists who did not offer any explanations for this behaviour.
Sorry, Hotel de la Opera, you do not have a high position in our list any more.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mr. Frank

Our restaurant El Mirador has special schedule and is prefered for many people for private events so is better if you do your reservation in advance, when it is closed we offer our Bar El Automatico or La Scala restaurant for coffee.

I apologize if the service was not the best, your comment help to improve our service..

Sincerely;

Montclair, New Jersey
Reviewed December 31, 2012

This is a charming hotel in the historic section of Bogota. I have stayed here twice. On the first occasion I managed to get a suite with a balcony in the historic part of the building. This was much preferred to the standard room and was spacious with good views to the street. The hotel reminds one of a pensione in the Italian style and is decorated as such in all the common areas of the hotel. The rooms themselves are simple and adequate. Go up to El Mirador restaurant to see the rooftop view of the city. Breakfast here is ample and tasty with of course very good coffee. The ajiaco is also very good. The street is secured at night. If this is your first time to Bogota, I would suggest staying here a few nights then heading to Zona Rosa or someplace in the North to experience the other side of Bogota. It is truly a city of many faces. As for hotel de la opera, I think it is one of the best if not the best in La Candelaria. I enjoyed it both times. The spa and relaxation pool are pretty.

Room Tip: Opt for the junior suite
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City
Reviewed December 30, 2012

my wife and I stayed here in December 2012 for 2 days and we loved it. we have been coming together to Bogota every year for 8 years (her family is here) and we always take time to get away on our own and experience something for ourselves. I always loved the candelaria area and the centro (central commerce area) and this hotel is very close with easy access. the hotel is beautiful - LOVED the pool - you can't really do laps, but after a day of walking in the high altitude the warm waters were welcome and rejuvenating. we also used the sauna and steam room and that was welcome as well. the staff were very helpful and some even spoke English - my wife is Colombian but I always find that comforting. I have to say the mirador restaurant served the best meal I've had in Colombia (chicken with gorgonzola with ham), my wife had Ajiaco (a chicken soup type dish that is the signature dish of Bogota) - she said it was good, but not as good as her mom's. Colombia is not known for it's cuisine but the food here was very good, comforting, the wine selection quite good and at a good price, and the entertainment was wonderful. breakfast was included and along with an omelette I had a croguette filled with coconut and rice that was delish. WIFIworked great - I watched a Netflix movie on my laptop as it's hard to find English language channels here. I would absolutely recommend this place to anyone, and we'll be coming back here. pluses here are the great hot water, really good water pressure, location, friendly staff, good food, and a beautiful historic building. we were in a junior sweet on the 7th floor with an amazing view of the city - we opened the windows at night, but the street noise became too much-what do you expect in a very large city!!! we closed them and they kept the noise out.

Room Tip: you can get rooms on 1,2 or 7 - on 7 you can get great city views....1 and 2 is a beautiful interio...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Steve_NorthJersey
Dear Mr. Steve

We appreciate you shared your experience in our Hotel.

Please consider Hotel de la Opera your home in Bogotá.

We hope to see you back soon.

Lina Caro
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 10, 2012

This was our "acclimitisation" stop over so that we could get used to the altitude of the high Andes. The Hotel was superbly situated and the building was lovely - but the hotel staff did not seem to have their heart in serving their guests -
I was not sure whether it was comforting or frightening to see armed security guards on the corners of many of the roads - but Bogota was fascinating and is certainly work while visiting - and i was sorry not to be travelling around Colombia more.It was disappointing that the Theatro Colon was not open during our stay as the proximity was tempting.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank anned0_0
Sydney Australia
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We were upgraded to this hotel when Casa Deco had a problem with rooms. The hotel has an excellent location in La Candelaria, right beside the Theatro Colon and within two blocks of most of the main sights. There are security guards/police stationed at both ends of the street. We visited the last weekend in October which was unusually busy due to a festival and this made it more pleasant to wander around into the evening.

The hotel is similar to an older style European hotel, comfortable and well maintained.

Our room, 201, was a older style room with high ceilings. There was a table, desk, chair, twin beds, night stands, flat screen TV, and closet with safe. The bathroom (shower) was small but had everything required including bathrobes, slippers, hairdryer and amenities. Wifi was on/off/on in the room, a cable in the room would not be helpful as we travel with an iPad.

Our room was an inner room, but there was still noise from other guests and also from the plumbing noises.

There are a number of common areas to relax and read in and the sitting room has some interesting books on Colombia.

Breakfast included fruit, juices, cereal, yoghurt, eggs, an assortment of four hot dishes one of which was rice, toast and pastries. The pastries and hot dishes were rather dry . At first we thought it was because it was the weekend but they were the same during the weekday.

We had two lunches, one in La Scala and the other in La Mirador. The food was okay but the service was rather remote. The staff were less welcoming and friendly than any of the other hotels we have been in this trip.

Would recommend for location and the European feel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple