New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #12 of 203 Specialty Lodging in Bogota
Taipei, Taiwan
“Felt like home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

I was planing to stay in Bogora only for 2 nights, but ended up with a week stay.
Because staying at Sayta Hostel was like living at home, I didn't want to leave!
The place is not very big, two dorm + two private rooms, two bath room/ with hot water.
Owner family are all very nice and happy people, always helpful and kind.
Total atmosphere was very friendly and welcoming, its easy to get along with the other travelers.
It was really fun to talk and exchange informations with all the people from different background.
I met some great people here:)

Wifi works well at common area and in bed room, free breakfast of pan and bottomless coffee.
Building is little old, but maintained very clean.
A mini shop for laundry & late night beer is at right in front of the hostel, plenty of restaurants cafes bars in the area, also all the main sights such as museo del oro, museo botero, La Plaza de Bolívar are in walking distance.
Definitely going back to this place if I have chance to visit Bogota again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Korean first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here twice while in Bogota, and sadly it definitely didn't live up to the reviews. The first night was fine, although the owners weren't particularly welcoming at all. They didn't offer any information on the local area or the hostel itself, although the younger boy who works on the reception was very friendly. We went up to villa de leyva for a few nights and booked the same room for our return, but upon arriving were told that the room we'd reserved room wasn't available, so we had to take one downstairs, right next to the kitchen/social area. This was frustrating as we wouldn't have booked another night had we known it would be in that room. As it's an old building, the doors and walls are very thin, so we were kept awake until 1am by people drinking and talking loudly (including the owner) until I had to go and ask them to be quiet. There were also far too many people staying in the hostel for such a small place - they'd allowed two people to set up tents in the common area upstairs, meaning not only was that area out of use, but that 14 guests and several family members were sharing 2 bathrooms. 15/20 minute queue for a morning pee - not good. The kitchen is also very small and poorly equipped. There were some families with kids staying there that seemed to be having a lovely stay, but if you're a young backpacker used to more traditional hostels I'd definitely give it a miss.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Ayeishaaaaaaaa
Missoula, Montana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

I love Sayta! The family that runs this business is very helpful, concerned and professional in a casual manner. I stay here everytime I am in Bogota. If they are full, my visit to Bogota is not the same. I consider this place as where I find my friends. I am welcome. A great location in the Candalaria, easy to walk or take bus to anywhere in Bogota.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Ushuaia, Argentina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

Sayta is easily one of my favorites. It’s clean, comfortable, and well located. It has WIFI, breakfast, and a kitchen if you want to cook. When I was there, coffee was made a few times throughout the day which I liked. I found it very easy to make friends at this hostel. The common area upstairs is a nice cozy area to get a little sun and warmth throughout the day.

But the best part about Sayta is the service! It is owned and managed by a Colombian family that made my stay so nice that I can now say it’s my home away from home. It’s rare to find a hostel that gives you that “family” type of atmosphere and I feel this one does. I ended up staying here much longer than expected. This hostel would also be a good option if you want to get to know the local scene. I was shown many nice places around Bogota that only local people go. Thank you John, Steff, and Mom for the unforgettable good times! See you soon!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

I stayed in this hostel for 1 night in May 2014.

There was initially a mistake on their part with the airport pick-up service which meant I had to wait for nearly 2 hours in the airport. But I accept this was a genuine & honest mistake so will not judge against them for this in my review.

The hostel appears to be family run. John (the owners son) was really friendly and provided plenty of help and assistance for my very short visit to Bogota. He also provided me with free coffee upon arrival, and arranged for my onward transport to the airport the next morning. He was also on hand at 3am to say farewell which I thought was a very nice touch.

My room was very nice and very clean and despite being on the groundfloor facing the road, I had no problems with outside noise. The bed was also very comfortable.

The toilet/shower rooms were just across the corridor and had lovely hot water so no problems at all there.

The hostel is located 10-15 minutes walk from the main pedestrian avenue of Bogota. Completely fine to walk around during the day but not really very safe walking alone at night.

I paid $22 for my stay which I think it's superb value.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

I stayed for 5 nights in the second house of Sayta hostel, which is down a cute stone road directly above the student area. A great location during the day, but not so good at night. As a solo female traveller, I certainly didn´t feel safe walking out at night, even for an early dinner.

The second home/hostel was fine, but I have stayed in better. The bathrooms weren´t cleaned often enough (from what I could see, once every 2 days) and this hostel lacks any atmosphere. The staff are so wonderful and friendly though which makes up for it. They also make fresh coffee in the morning which is a bonus.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

We stayed in a large, clean, bright double room with views down the cobbled street and of Montserrat.
Very friendly helpful staff. Owner John happily spends considerable time talking to and helping guests. His mother is there at times to help as well. The hostel has a pleasant, friendly vibe with a kitchen area to meet other guests. There is a good kitchen and fridge available. Breakfast included bread, jam and good coffee. Free wifi.

Hostel looked after our bags for two days before we arrived and let us stay until 9pm the day we left for a midnight flight. John organised a taxi to the airport to ensure we got there safely.

The hostel located very close to major sites within La Candelaria with Plaza Mayor and the Botero Museum only a 5-10 minute walk away. Near the hostel is a selection of bars and restaurants of varying cost and quality, and a laundry, also within a short walk. Great pizza place nearby - ask John. It is also within a comfortable walk of the Transmilenio bus stations which we found convenient for visits to the salt cathedral at Zipaquira and to Villa De Leyva.

If you want a friendly place of good value to stay in Bogota, we recommend Sayta Hostel

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple