“Great location great price!”
Review of Ambar Hotel

Ambar Hotel
Ranked #176 of 296 Bogota B&B and Inns
“Great location great price!”
Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

This place turned out to be way better than expected. The staff was super friendly and helpful and the location was within walking distance of so many great things. 24 hour front door staff watching over the place was a bonus for sure. Would recommend it to anyone looking for a clean and cozy hotel for a very low cost!!

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mattyballz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Polish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed October 6, 2013

They had a computer glitch that double booked the hotel. They found us a new place for the one night and for the price difference the taxis. Very friendly staff that speak English. Good location. Don't take a room on the street, but that is the same in any large city. Good value.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BCsaralou
Sarasota, Florida, United States
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We stayed in June, 2013. Here are the things I think you should know about this hotel:
- It is spotless!
- It is affordable. At $40 USD/night (with a discount for paying in cash) this was easily the cheapest hotel we stayed in while on our trip to Colombia.
- It is comfortable. Hot water (Bogota was quite chilly in June), comfortable beds, nice warm and cozy decor/lighting (something we found incredible rare during our trip...all the other hotels had harsh headache-inducing lighting). A flat screen tv for those that are so inclined.
- The storage situation is fine unless you plan on being on an extended business trip or something. Our room had a desk with a drawer, and foot stool, and two bedside tables with drawers. We found this to be just fine for our short stay. I had one nice dress which I hung over the bathroom door. Not really the issue people are making it out to be.
- The staff was pleasant, especially Graciela (who might be the owner?) BUT, no one speaks English. This was fine for us as I speak decent Spanish but if you're not fluent enough to have the necessary check-in/check-out conversations, this isn't the place for you.
- Yes, the outside rooms are noisy. Personally, I didn't expect anything different given that Bogota is a big city and naturally has city sounds just like New York or Miami etc. If you are easily bothered by music, talking, horns, etc. then you should probably consider staying outside of a major city. It didn't bother us at all.
- The location is good. It is within a fairly short walk to plaza de bolivar and the candelaria district and a short cab ride to zona rosa. The neighborhood is a little sketchy. I was not about to go walking down the street alone after sundown but we had the hotel call us cabs when we wanted to go out at night and we were fine.
- We felt perfectly safe in the hotel. They have a locked gate in front of their doors and there is always staff on at all hours to let you in/out.
- Free breakfast was enough to get up and going. Fresh pressed juice and toast with jam and butter. Coffee.

That's about it. We did have an issue when we first arrived - the water in our room was not working - the staff apologized and helped us try to fix it, when it didn't work they apologized profusely and said they would have it taken care of within the hour and promptly called the maintenance man to the room. We went out for food and by the time we came back everything was fine. They also did not have our reservation (which we had made through a third party) but it wasn't an issue. We found this to be a VERY common problem throughout the country. I suggest calling ahead and confirming with an actual, live person rather than trusting the internet to get it right.

All in all we enjoyed this hotel very much and would absolutely recommend/stay again.

Room Tip: If you are sensitive to noise ask for an inner/south side room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AlyImpossible
Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I went back to the Hotel in March, 2013. While there, my credit cards and bank accounts were frozen. I did not know why and had to call the bank. I was not able to reach the number from the Hotel. I spoke to the Hotel staff and they told me to keep trying, that I was doing something wrong. Eventually I discovered that all international calls are blocked from the hotel. I had wasted several hours and I was mad, No one from the Hotel would help me. I had no cash, my credit cards useless. I went into the street and the Police, the Museum of Gold, a bank and a store owner helped me. The problem was quite simple and easily resolved. I went back to the Hotel and enjoyed the rest of my stay. I made a reservation July 24 and was told the Hotel was full, that they had sold all of their rooms to third parties. I made a reservation on a third party site on July 24. On July 28 I received an email telling me the Hotel would not acceot my reservation. I had this emil from the Hotel: Buenos días sra. Beverley:

Comedidamente nos permitimos informarle que el Hotel hará uso del derecho de admisión, por lo anterior le comunicamos que no será aceptada su reserva por parte Despegar, ya se le comunico al operador las razones por las cuales no aceptamos su reserva. Nuestra decisión se basa en su inconformidad durante su última visita a nuestro hotel, no deseamos tener inconvenientes con usted ni que usted se tenga que quejar de nuestro servicio.

DON"T STAY HERE if you are international. If you need to call home you cannot call from the Hotel and they are clearly immature. Yes, I had a dispute and a disappointment, as I've had in other places from time to time, but I thought it was resolved. I did nothing to thie Hotel other than pay and write a good review. I even helped a guest of their when I was there.

Very disappointing!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank bcadMonteria_Cordoba

Travelers are raving about these Bogota hotels

usa
Reviewed May 25, 2013

i stood at this hotel and no lie i will stay here from now on the best location and best prices the staff super nice and Bellas but over all A+ in my book verry safe and sound i recomended The best is its location. It is just one block from the carrera 7 tourist street and a 4 minute walk to the Museo de Oro. Wi Fi and breakfast are included at no additional cost. The staff is very friendly. The hotel and the rooms are spotless.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a balcony is the best
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ritchie d
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I discovered this hotel through the popular Latin American booking site of despegar.com
The hotel has good and bad things about it. The best is its location. It is just one block from the carrera 7 tourist street and a 4 minute walk to the Museo de Oro. Wi Fi and breakfast are included at no additional cost. The staff is very friendly. The hotel and the rooms are spotless. There are lots of small restaurants in the area. I really liked the "Novillo de Oro" parrilla about 50 yards from the hotel.
There are several big negatives. Rooms facing the street can be VERY noisy. I'd recommend staying in these rooms only if you have earplugs. Rooms facing the interior courtyard are much quieter. I was in room 206 and slept fine with earplugs.
The other major negative is that the rooms have NO storage. No closets. No hangers. No drawers for clothing. So you have to live out of the suitcase. Very inconvenient.
There is no elevator and, to the best of my knowledge, the staff does not speak English.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street can be very noisy. Bring earplugs for these rooms.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank 505badgolfer
jersey city
Reviewed February 3, 2013

this will be a difficult review. The hotel , obviously, is making every effort to be excellent and I believe will be so shortly. I spoke with the manager about the lack of hangers and they are constructing them but the rooms are spotless and the beds are very very comfortable. The hotel is immacutately clean and the staff wonderful. The negatives are rather impossible to avoid, a bit of noise from Carrera 8 in an outside room and noise from the dining room at 6 AM from loud guests. I recommend that the management tell the early risers to to tone it down. This , however, has been the best hotel I have found after 12 trips to Bogota in this price range and I thoroughly recommend it. Try and get an inside room and don't hesitate to tell the desk to ask early risers to tone it down. The shower is wonderful, like a waterfall, and the only problem is that the bed is so comfortable that you don't want to get up. The lack of hangars is being addressed, about 20 percent of the rooms have them but I spoke with the manager and it is top priority now. I definitely recommend this hotel and I know the hotels well in downtown Bogota. Breakfast is delicious. I arrived ill from something I ate en route and they made me good chicken soup brought to my room and I was better the next day, partially the soup but their gestures are genuine and you can feel their concern for your stay. Recommended!!!

Room Tip: the only minor hassle were the lack of hangers. This is currently being worked on by the owners. O...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo