“Fabulous staff - average hotel”
Review of Lancaster House

Lancaster House
Ranked #38 of 268 Hotels in Bogota
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I stayed here for one night before flying to Medellin and on the plus side, i found the room to be a good size and the staff to be highly accomodating and friendly and spoke a reasonable/good level of english.

However, the downsides are that the hotel 'look and feel' is in need of some modernisation, the breakfast options were poor (apart from the omlette guy), the immediate location wasnt great and the food in the hotel wasnt particularly inspiring either.

Also, make sure you check your bill carefully as when checking out, i noticed a few phantom charges on mine (including a meal which i had paid for in cash the previous day) which I asked the staff to remove and they did so without much challenge.

For the same price of just a little more, there are much better places to stay in Bogota.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
MonicaGold, Guest Relations Manager at Lancaster House, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

Dear DiamondCut, I am so sorry the hotel wasn’t to your taste. As much as we want to be the perfect hotel for everyone, we know that no hotel can be all things to all guests. Different travelers value different things. Most of our guests choose us because they are the type of travelers who prefer to be in a small an cozy home away from home with an eager to please staff.

There are newer reviews for Lancaster House

Reviewed October 27, 2012

What a great birthday weekend! Thanks to the great service provided by all of the employees at the hotel my birthday celebration was a success. They even got me flowers!!!!!
The only negative coment that I have are the room service prices, This are really expensive, but everything else was as expected from the comments post here.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
MonicaGold, Guest Relations Manager at Lancaster House, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Dear Paula D, We are so glad to hear that your birthday celebration was a success! We hope we can help you celebrate many more happy occasions.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

The rooms are somehow a bit dated with the beds being very average. The hotel is located in the business district and there is not much to see around, you need to take a 10 minute cab to zona rosa where there is a bit more action and places to eat. The shower had low pressure. Breakfast was ok, but far from being spectacular. I booked on easyclicktravel and paid 80$ a night and I had to pay another 10$ per person per night insurance. For the amount I paid, I guess I got a fair deal but I was expecting much more since rates on Expedia and the likes was quite higher. Our room didn't have wi-fi signal...

Room Tip: They have rooms with nice balconies
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
MonicaGold, Guest Relations Manager at Lancaster House, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Dear Vincebilodeau, I would like to mention that when you left the hotel, you left a note stating “excellente estancia, gracias”, which translates to “Excellent stay, thank you.” I am sorry your stay at Lancaster House was not as you had expected. For us it is of outmost importance that our guests have a wonderful stay. Had you let our staff know anything was not up to your standards we would have been more than happy to find a solution. I would like to take this opportunity to explain to you and any reader that we clearly state in our website as well as when people check-in that there is a hotel insurance and a VAT charge that is not included in the rate quoted.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Just spend 5 nights at the Lancaster House and had a wonderful time. I enjoyed a Junior Suite with Terrace and highly recommend it. It was my first trip to Bogata and they left a positive lasting impression with me.

Room was clean and spacious with good internet connection (important for my work). I enjoyed the kitchen area since I prefer to snack or eat in. Nice selection of menu choices at the on location restaurant and room service was fast.

Likely one of the hardest working staffs that I have seen in a long time. Everyone was very pleasant, patient and helpful, going out of their way to compensate for my lousy Spanish. Having traveled extensively, you really learn to appreciate a top notch team like this.

Don't think I really need to give more detail since so many others here have pointed to the great location and other amenities. I will certainly stay here the next time I am in town.

Room Tip: The terrace adds a nice touch and makes a nice spot for morning coffee.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
MonicaGold, Guest Relations Manager at Lancaster House, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Dear Joel S, We are glad to hear that your stay at Lancaster House was wonderful. It is rewarding to hear that you found the Junior Suite with Terrace comfortable, spacious and clean. That you were able to conduct your work with ease with the internet connection we provide. We strive to provide the best service to our guests and are pleased to hear you that you consider us a top notch team. We are glad you choose us, and hope to have you again as our guest.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Don't understand why this hotel got good reviews.
Probably the travellers that gave good reviews are hostels travellers !

A 4 to 5 stars class hotel main goal is to provide
- A cozy room, sound proof, silent,
- as well as great bathrooms so the guest can rest and relax.
- Last but not least great food,
- and fast internet service for business travellers
The above are all expected points.

Well, Hotel Lancaster House is not able to meet anyone of the above goals

Here's the summary :
- The Hotel is really old, smell old, look old. It needs a refurbish at the rate they ask !
- The Hotel location is right by the side of a main street / highway with a lot of traffic noise.
the windows are not sound proof, so it's like sleeping in the middle of a street !
- The Bathrooms are a joke.
First : The bathtubs don't have a proper overflow system.
Result : you turn on the water to fill-up the tub, and go at your computer to check your emails.
A few minutes later the whole suite is Flooded !!!
Second : I hope you like very hot showers !
Because the flow of cold water is 20% of the hot water.
The faucet needs lots of pressure to switch to the shower. Hence a very hot shower.
The bathrooms like the building are probably over 25 years old, and so are
the faucets, the tubs and everything...
- The service is another Joke :
No one to take care of us in the breakfast room.
Had to call twice to get a coffee. 3 days in a row.
- The Food is terrible : we order from the hotel restaurant to the room.
I got my stomach upset for over a day. The food quality is really average.
The breakfast is depressing. It ranges from very average to cheap food choice.
- The Sauna / Spa is like the above, old and uninviting.
- Internet Wireless : doesn't work ! if you are a business person you gonna hate this.
I called the manager to reset the router and wireless access point. That didn't help.
Since i followed him to make sure it was done, i have noticed they use residential / home
equipment. They don't have enough equipment and powerful equipment to cover all rooms.
As a solution they gave me a short cable to use at a desk. Stupid !
I would have expected a change of room closer to the wifi equipment.

In summary : the hotel look nice from the photos and reviews in booking.com and tripadvisor.
But the reality is as described above. Should be a 2 to 3 stars hotel in the range of 55 to 85 $ per night. This is not a place you will remember as a great experience. The terrible final grade is for the lack of proper response from the staff, and also to rebalance the too many good grades that are totally inappropriate and misleading for the traveller. Or probably old and not up to date.

Room Tip: Avoid, Go somewhere else !
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RicFR
MonicaGold, Guest Relations Manager at Lancaster House, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

Dear Mr. Rick FR
I am truly sorry that you claim that your experience at our hotel was not a positive one.
I would like to clarify the four poits you state in your comment:
1. Lancaster House has been awarded a 4 star rating by SGS and the Colombian Ministry of Tourism.
2. Our Suites are ample and comfortable, as you can read in guests comments. The hotel underwent a full renovation in 2010. After which periodic renovations have been done and I believe you witnessed some work as well during your stay.
3. We offer great food as you can read in guests comments and arguably the widest variety of dishes that any hotel offers in Bogota.
4. We offer both Wi-Fi broadband internet service to all our guests, free of charge, as well as a full service Business Center.
What you fail to explain it that you flooded your room, and caused damages not only to your room for to other guest rooms. You immediately stated you were not going to pay for damages even before you knew what the hotel policy was. I believe you can agree that at no time were you charged for any of the damages you incurred. To be specific, before you flooded your suite, you had told our customer service people your stay was agreeable. After this incident, and even though you were moved to another suite, anything and everything we did at the hotel was not to your liking.
As per your summary:
- We do have thermo-acqustic windows for those suites facing the Street.
- Bathrooms have also been fully renovated in the last 2 years. The building is 15 years old, and management puts high importance on maintaining and renovating all aspects in the hotel.
- You did not complain about service while you stayed with us. Yet you ordered rooms service and enjoyed the restaurants’ food for the days you stayed with us. Had the food been so appalling I am sure you could have walk to any of the restaurants near our hotel. Every time you requested room service, there were no complaints and your plates were returned clear. So evidently you enjoyed our food. There was never a complaint or comment on the quality of the food while you stayed with us.
It greatly saddens us that your carelessness for which we assumed all costs turned into libel against Lancaster House. In summary, the hotel goes out of its way to provide excellent service, we have and will continue to do all we can to keep our guests comfortable

Reviewed October 7, 2012

I stayed at Lancaster hotel for a couple of days as part of an overall 3 weeks trip to Colombia (a period in which I stayed in quite a few hotels in different cities and thus can compare). I found the hotel to be an excellent choice for staying in Bogotá. The rooms are very comfortable, well equipped and give a good feeling (I stayed in the suit). The hotel itself is also very well kept and well located in a good neighborhood (the northern area) in Bogotá and close enough (20-30 min in taxi depending the hour in the day) to the main touristic area. I found the staff to be especially friendly and helpful, and with some English speakers, an important fact for those who are not fluent in Spanish and a thing which is not a very common in Colombia. Breakfast was also varied and with good quality. The bottom line-excellent value for money and recommended.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
MonicaGold, Public Relations Manager at Lancaster House, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Dear Alex S, We are glad to know you feel Lancaster House is an excellent choice for staying in Bogota. We are pleased to know you found our staff helpful and our suites pleasant. We strive to provide our guests with outstanding service and comfort. We are certainly delighted you chose us, and hope to have you again as our guest the next time you visit Bogota.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

This is a very well located hotel in a upper class neighborhood, closed to restaurants and public transportation such as metro-Transmilenio. Suites are 45 square meters with living, dinning, kitchen and even laundry facilities inside the suite. Breakfast is excellent.
Service is wonderful, great people from the from the front desk manager, public relations manager to waiters, porters and maid services.
Regular price is not the best but I got 50% off through Trip Advisor. Look for specials.
Con: A little noisy because of the North highway just a few feet away but in my case I used ear plugs and solved the issue. I will return to this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank santiagozamudio

Dear Mr. Santiagozamudio, We are glad to hear that your stay with us was good and that you enjoyed our service and spacious suites.
We are certainly pleased you chose us, and are glad to hear you will be returning to our hotel.