“Good and safe place although noisy on Sundays”

Hotel Estelar La Fontana
Ranked #35 of 265 Hotels in Bogota
Oslo
“Good and safe place although noisy on Sundays”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

I have stayed in this hotel many, many times in the last ten years. It has kept a good standard, where the staff shows their best. It is a safe place to stay. Rooms are worn by age, although there has been a major renovation in 2011. Good restaurant, where you can have your special dinners, or if you just would like to have a bite, across the street you will find the Unicentro mall, with plenty of small places and fast food for a bite. There are also local restaurants nearby, and I particularly recommend Wok! which serves all sorts of first class Asian food, including nasi goreng! ( It is also one of the few places in this area of Bogota where they do hire Afro Colombians). But back to La Fontana: safe, good rooms, good restaurant, not central, it takes about an hour or so in a taxi to the center of the city (beware of an infernal traffic in Bogota these days, so you need to plan well). On Sundays, there is a tradition to have an open market at the patio of the hotel, with small stalls with nice handicrafts and a horrible band playing some sort of karaoke. If they just cut that music away, the market would be wonderful. Taxis are available from the hotel, and they are safe. You need to also book your trip in advance, since they have a tendency to disappear midday.

Room Tip: Avoid a room with direct view to the patio. Those with a view to the gardens are the best.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Alfredoarica
Hoteles_Estelar, E-Commerce at Hotel Estelar La Fontana, responded to this review, February 22, 2012
Good Afternoon Mr. Arica

We appreciate your time in sharing your experiences at the Estelar La Fontana Hotel. Your constructive feedback will help us to continually improve. We hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to our Hotel in the near future once again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed December 13, 2011

The hotel is impeccable, very secure and with its greenery feels removed from the bustle of the city. Rooms are ample, bed comfortable and the service is friendly and professional. Only comment is the height of the shower, too low if you are over 6' tall. Taxi service at the hotel will help you navigate you through some pretty bad city traffic.
Breakfast is varied and early enough at 6am to get your day started.
The hotel is in the north of Bogota near a large shopping center and across from several restaurants.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing a beautiful inner garden courtyard.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank barbafred
Reviewed November 14, 2011

They offer me a "Romantic plan" including:
1 dinner, 375cc wine bottle, roses on bed and BF or Brunch on next day.
They charged me a dinner...
You can get better service, better food and newest restaurants, lobby and common areas in other hotels. For example; Sonesta Hotel across the 127 Street.

• Stayed November 2011
Hoteles_Estelar, E-Commerce at Hotel Estelar La Fontana, responded to this review, November 16, 2011
Dear Guest,

Hoteles Estelar would like to convey to you our sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you may have experienced during you stay at our Hotel Estelar La Fontana. In order to improve our customer service levels and to deliver to you a satisfactory answer, we would like to ask you for your name and if possible the hotel room number and the date on your last visit.

Could you send us this information to recepcion.hlafontana@hotelesestelar.com or conserjeria.hlafontana@hotelesestelar.com

San Diego, California
Reviewed November 8, 2011

I had my camera IN my case IN my backpack underneath at least a dozen things and I never took it out or used it while in Bogota. I left my backpack in the room the whole time. I had it on me riding the cab back to the airport and I also had it on me when I was in the airport. My backpack was never searched and it wasn't until I came home that I noticed my camera was missing. The hard case was zipped closed, I went to open it and it was empty. Do not stay at this hotel unless you like your valuables being stolen. I have tried to contact management and have left voicemails and e-mails but I never hear back (it's been two weeks). The other annoying thing is that they charged me (illegally!!!) for an additional tax (I have a foreign passport) and told me I'd get it back at the airport. I took the receipt to the DIAN and they said they do not reimburse hotel taxes! As if that was not enough, the room smelled musty, the tiles in the bathroom were chipped or cracked and I kept being bothered by staff who wanted to know if I wanted to do laundry (I will call you if I do) and if I wanted my curtains closed (no, i can do it myself, thank you).
I do not understand how this is a five-star hotel and do not recommend you stay here under any circumstances!!

Room Tip: get one with a SAFE!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
6 Thank acoacoaco
Hoteles_Estelar, E-Commerce at Hotel Estelar La Fontana, responded to this review, November 11, 2011
Dear Customer,

Hoteles Estelar would like to convey to you our sincere apologies for any inconvenience mentioned have experienced during your stay in our Estelar La Fontana hotel; We talked to the customer service department and reception which mentions that we have not received voice messages or post reporting what happened. In order to improve our levels of customer service and give you a satisfactory answer, we would like to ask you for your name and if possible the hotel room number and the date on your last visit, it could reach us at email: recepción.hlafontana@hotelesestelar.coml or conserjeria.hlafontana hotelesestelar.com

Caracas, Venezuela
Reviewed October 30, 2011

This is a hotel that could be named "Almost great". The rooms are fine in size but the first one had a cigarette smell although it was offered as smoke free. They claim to be a 5 start local, but there is just one phone besides the bed, none on the desk and the paid wifi was intermittent. The breakfast is good, but not quite great and the attention is spotty. It is not cheap and the location is fine if you are going to the mall across the street, but on the other hand you will hear from taxi drivers that the intersection is about the worst in Bogota and you will find out why soon enough. There is always something that makes you say "it is almost great, but..." The saddest thing is that with just a little push they would make the mark, but it does not happen. There are many good hotel offerings in Bogota now, many boutique hotels. The Fontana is missing its target and make you start wander away.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Gaithersburg, MD
Reviewed August 18, 2011

I am glad I listened to the New York Times instead. They recommended this hotel and they were right. I have been to hotels in many countries. This is one the best I have stayed.

First off, this is not a slab-sided concrete and glass enclosure. This almost like a villa with red-bricks, ivy on the walls and courtyards. The staff is so helpful as to be almost overwhelming. Even though we arrived a little early, they took care of our luggage until our room was ready. The room was very clean and modern. The wait staff in the restaurant was impeccably attired, respectful and very helpful. They thank you for serving you! Breakfast, which comes with your room, is not a piece of toast with a stick of margarine. It is a veritable feast that you want to take a picture of before you eat. We arrived at lunchtime on Sunday. In the courtyard, right outside the restaurant, there was an arts and craft market. You could view the traders while lunching. Lunch had so much variety, it seemed under-priced. Since I am a person of color, I always look out for slights of any kind. None. Nada. If I had any gripes (and I really do not), I would say the elevator was too small. There. I said it. I would give this hotel five stars, but I am not sure what that means. Here's the biggest test of all. My wife loved it! So, we are planning a return trip to Bogota and we will stay there again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Wasepia
Hoteles_Estelar, E-Commerce at Hotel Estelar La Fontana, responded to this review, August 25, 2011
Good Afternoon Mr. glad

Thank you for sharing your experience from your recent stay at Hotel Estelar La Fontana. We are very pleased to read your review and learn that you enjoyed your time with us. We appreciate your comments which are very important to us. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back next time

Sincerely.
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed August 3, 2011

A group of us stayed two nights there and we won't be back. Our guaranteed reservation somehow got cancelled before we showed up. When we tried to check in we were told that we no longer had reservations. Instead of offering to fix the problem and get us into rooms for the night, they told us to go across the street, log into a computer and figure out what happened. Definitely not five stars on the customer service. We ended up having three conversations with the managers over the two days to get everything straightened out.

Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Hoteles_Estelar, E-Commerce at Hotel Estelar La Fontana, responded to this review, August 16, 2011
Good Aftenoon Dear James,