All reviewswood burning fireplacebeautiful hotelold mansionspanish colonialthe lack of air conditioningspanish restaurantone bedroom suitemodern convenienceszona gwindows closedroom servicefront desk staffrestaurants within walking distanceappointed roomsperfect stayquiet roomthird floor
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I was a bit skeptical about the hotel as the car we had arranged thru the hotel did not pick us up at the airport. It seems they lost this detail in the reservation despite my copy clearly showing this request. However, the kind staff and tranquil space made us quickly forget any issues we had. The highlight of this beautiful property is the brick and plant framed courtyard. It was a wonderful and serene space for breakfast as well as evening cocktails. Our room was spacious and nicely decorated and the marble bathroom and walk in closet made it all the better. If you prefer small, quaint, and tasteful over large chain hotels, this is an excellent choice.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Casa Medina Hotel exudes character and definitely worthy of a repeat stay! The property's interior design is tastefully warm and masculine throughout -- including the two center orchid draped courtyards. From the moment we walked in the front door, we were greeted and helped throughout our stay by extremely pleasant staff. We were walked to and shown our room by the front desk staff (not bell hop) and even allowed to leave a day early (no charge) due to extremely bad altitude sickness. The room was a top floor which with a vaulted ceiling and wood tie accents, plus an incredible bathroom! The property is spotless and, contrary to the other reviews, I found this property reasonably priced at $170+USA. That considering we just got in from Cartagena and our room there was substantially a lot more and nothing as close as comfortable or spacious. Plus there was free WIFI throughout with a strong signal! Only slight negative is that the place is quiet empty with guests as noted with prior reviews, but we were there during the holidays when I was told most people leave Bogota for the New Years holiday.

As for location, it's in the heart of Zona G with all the cafes/restaurants right outside the side door. With our brief travels throughout Bogota, there would be no other location I would be as comfortable when talking comfortable accommodations and access to great eating.

I don't look at hotel star ratings when I travel since I am about the experience and don't need to be fussed over. I want character and an opportunity to weave myself into the local culture. I've traveled extensively around the world with my partner and was pleasantly impressed with the Casa Medina Hotel. TripAdvisor has never failed me yet.

Room Tip: Top floor vaulted ceilings made the room especially spacious.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Hans M
Reviewed January 14, 2013

In Colombia there seems to be a confusion between a 5 Stars hotel, 4 stars and even 3 1/2 stars hotels. I have been traveling for the las 40 years of my life( I'm 50) and it always seem to me that in a 5 stars hotel you get what you paid; Concierge, swimming pools, gym, top notch staff. This hotel does not have it so what exactly qualifies this hotel to advertise to be a 5 Stars hotel? The price?, I guess so, as the price I paid for a Junior suite at the Casa Medina is what I have paid at the Four Seasons in Hong Kong or a Mandarin in Tokyo. Consequently, I do have a problem with this hotel that advertises as a Luxury hotel. This a kitsch hotel, built in 1940 making it look early 1800's. This place is a mess, the nice rooms, like the one I rented is facing the busy main street, not until the city goes to sleep you cannot go to sleep. You go up and down with suite-cases nothing is on one level. Wood floors are loose and noisy, stair case don't lined up so feel like you are drunk. I cannot tell if the furniture are real antiques since some of it you can tell are not. If you think you going to get a good service because their advertising is well designed you will not! Sorry but I would had rather stay in a place that got all the services and pay less. This place at least is clean and has good showers. Also, Good breakfast service, and it's an a good location. I rented the suite on the third floor and it's better than the one they made me changed to on my last night. They asked me to change room because they had a newly wed couple coming and they made the mistake of renting it even though I had paid for it. So I changed and went to the 4th floor suite, which is the same one another trip advisor, "Gustypants" stayed. Read his comments and compare notes. Don't go by my pictures as I am a amateur photographer and love make things look more beautiful than they really are.

Room Tip: Stay on the back rooms but cannot guarantee they are any better
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here on our wedding night and although the hotel in general is very high quality it does not justfy the price tag.

I informed them that this was our wedding night, but still they did not go the extea mile and include even a few flowers for the bride - very poor touch!

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed November 12, 2012

This is not the style of hotel I normally stay at and in all honesty I probably would not go back. But that is my taste and for some this would quite possibly be a very enjoyable experience.
Firstly it has an excellent location and a good vista. It clearly was a high profile palace (generous description) in its day and even now is the stand out architecture in the area. Internally it is not so grand but the decor has a historical feel and the furniture, at least in the rooms, is chunky and made of real wood/leather. This is blended with a somewhat odd modern feel including boutique twists like iPads in the room to browse and order guest services.
The rooms themselves are spacious, I had a corner suite, wooden fooring and beams in the roof (on level 4). The bathrom brings back in the modern touch and whilst they are spacious and functional (large shower area but no bath) it just did not seem to fit with the decor in the lounge area. The beds are the size of a moderately sized football pitch and very comfortable. The food did not excite me but as this is my first time to Bogota this may just be relative. One downer from my perspective was that room service and the terrace bar closes at 11pm - the bar by the way is almost deserted so clearly there are more happening places to go near by. So early to bed for all - fortunately the rooms have an excellent cable network and a well stocked mini bar.
So who would this hotel appeal to? Well busness folks who need local access would find it comfortable. Older travellers will probably appreciate that it is so quite and quaint. And young couples may well find it romantic. But not for families or party goers (or anybody else who needs stimulous).

Room Tip: Higher floors have a view
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business