“SIMPLY AMAZING”

Four Seasons Hotel Casa Medina Bogota
Ranked #2 of 268 Hotels in Bogota
Reviewed April 16, 2011

I rarely take the time to write about the hotels I stay at, because its all simply the same to me... a bed to sleep on while away from home! But this place was amazing!!!! Honestly, LIKE NO OTHER!

My husband and I had to travel to Colombia for a wedding in Medellin, but stopped in Bogota on the way back - I kid you not when I tell you, we extended our stay for 3 more nights!!!!!! Casa Medina is such a hidden treasure!!!

From the moment we arrived the service was simply superb. The staff was incredibly friendly, the food was absolutely DELISH! The detail of the room, the fire place, the bathroom.... I can go on and on - it was so great!!!!! We felt like we were in our own little fairytale!!!!!

We definitely recommend the Casa Medina...We will be back!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank FequentTraveler24

Reviewed March 16, 2011

this may be an old hotel, but nothing about it was outdated. the rooms were very spacious and comfortable. the location was great for walking to restaurants and felt safe walking in the immediate vicinity at night.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed March 1, 2011

It’s all about expectations … not met. My Fiancé booked 3 nights at Casa Medina’s most expensive suite, it seemed overpriced even for a Colombian 5 stars hotel but we wanted to experience “the most exclusive hotel in Bogota” to celebrate our anniversary.

We both work in the travel industry and are very seasoned travelers, we have inspected and stayed at dozens of hotels in Latin America and abroad and have a pretty good idea of what is a 5 stars service like. Would we have been told that Casa Medina was a 3 star + kind of hotel this review would have been rated higher, but we were paying a lot of money per night for a substandard service and a “matrimonial suite” that is not actually better than any other junior suite in any of the many business oriented hotels in Bogota that you can book for less than half the price, and actually quite old fashioned.

Hotel Casa Medina is NOT prepared to receive demanding foreign passengers accustomed to an international standard luxury service, we cancelled our last night and moved to the excellent Art Suits in Usaquen. Here are the main reasons:

- People at reception were really rude, non responsive and half slept , they didn’t find our reservation and kept us waiting for 20 minutes.. And that’s VERY UNUSUAL in Colombia, where the service is usually the highlight in almost every hotel we’ve been to. And this one was a 5 stars one???

- When we finally arrived to the “suite” at around 2 AM there was NOT HOT WATER, when I called reception they told me to “wait a little” but we never got it until next morning.

- There was only one robe …. ( in a MATRIMONIAL suite) …. And when we asked for the second one they said…get prepared for this one …. That the robes were too expensive so they only provided 1 per room !!!!!!!!!

- They mixed up our breakfast and brought someone else’s. We realized this half way through it and when we told them they answered, basically with an “ oops!” and did nothing to correct it.

- They tried to charge us around 15 USD for a few hours of wi fi internet! ... again, in a 500 USD room! Its been years since an hotel tried to charge us to use wifi in the room and I know of no 5 star hotel that dares to do that nowadays.

- After all our complaints, when we got back from a day tour we found a pre-printed apology card ( not even hand signed) and half a bottle of wine as the only official response from the hotel. When my fiancé asked to talk with the manager they said that they were “ too busy” .

The main problem with Casa Medina is that they are resting on their laurels, they are the perfect example of an old fashioned, family ran hotel in Colombia that thinks that having a well known " traditional" name ( in Colombia) is enough to keep considering themselves as the top hotel in the country. They haven’t realized that with the recent explosion of foreign travelers to Colombia if they don’t evolve they’re condemned to die, actually some of the big chains arriving to Colombia like Marriot are already taking business away from them. We would definitely not recommend Casa Medina unless they down grade themselves to 3 stars and improve their service.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank colombiatravelmarce
Reviewed December 15, 2010

I’ve stayed at other hotels in Bogota while I´m traveling for business, and nothing compares to the Charleston Casa Medina. Service is not only good, is absolutely premium. From the concierge, to the waiters, to the event staff, I haven´t experience such attention to detail and to good service anywhere else lately in all of South America. The rooms are incredibly spacious, the property is beautiful and elegant and the amenities are first class. It is also the perfect place to have meetings. The rooms were equipped with the latest technology and service and food just couldn’t be better. In my last visit I decided to try another hotel to have more options, and I can confirm that this is definitely the best hotel of city. I’m never changing again.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank JuanArboleda
Reviewed May 20, 2010

Have stayed at Casa Medina hotel many times on business trips to Bogota. It is located in a beautiful historic palatial home that has been tastefully added on to. It is a five star hotel and a wonderful change from a standard business class hotel. It is located within walking distance from calle 72 (Chile) and Rosales neighborhood and right next to an area of restuarants, bars and cafes. The rooms are enormous, and very tastefully decorated with large bathrooms and great showers, there is a a beautiful central garden. For the best rooms, get one in the older wing of the hotel, for quieter rooms, make sure to request rooms that do not face Avendia 7a. Only complaints were on the last visit cleaning staff were shouting back and forth to each other outside room door, rooms on Av. 7a can be noisy with rush hour traffic, and if you have trouble sleeping when sunlight enters room, best bring a sleep mask.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank michaelmo
Reviewed September 27, 2009

We stayed at Casa Medina for 4 days, and cannot criticize anything. The room was large and very comfortable, staff were friendly and helpful, breakfast was excellent. Although not located in an area of many tourist destinations, there are a large number of decent to excellent restaurants within a (safe) 5 minute walk. Astrid y Garcon, a Peruvian restaurant, was our favourite. We stayed over a weekend, and the hotel was surprisingly quiet. Perhaps it has more guests during the week, who are in Bogota for business.

Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SumachLad
Reviewed May 24, 2009

The hotel was recommended as the place to stay for our business meetings as the central location to our client meetings. The hotel has beautiful flowers and the overall beauty of the hotel grew on me during my three day stay. My room on first impression seemed to me to be average. Not sure why they don't stock a iron for business travelers, had to get the hotel maid to press my clothes. The bed was average but comfortable.
My room was second floor street side. I heard all the traffic noise, car alarms, people working on cars next door. While I am from the NYC area and have a high tolerance a reasonable level of noise the hotel allowed too much to creep in my opinion - they should invest in better windows.
The area is nice, many varied food options within walking distance. I allocated too many meals to Harry's bar and grill around the corner - it was a very good place to go for casual food with a excellent wine list.
The staff overall I thought was helpful, if you engage a staff member walking down the hallways they don't speak or smile, local custom thing??
They only strong negative is the internet service - it's a fast wireless network. You have to buy time in blocks of time and you must retain the password they give you. The password does not retain in the browser and its annoying to have to keep going to the home page to type in the password. My next trip i will stay in the sister hotel the located downtown or a american global chain hotel but the medina will not be revisited, just not my preference. I would recommend this hotel just not for the business traveler.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business