“A Sheraton, but slightly below standards”

Sheraton Bogota Hotel
Ranked #21 of 265 Hotels in Bogota
Chicago, Illinois
“A Sheraton, but slightly below standards”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

The Sheraton Bogotà is quite a convenient stay if you want to be close to the airport. When I arrived there, it took me more than half an hour to complete the check-in, as the staff was neither particularly bright or knowledgeable about English. On the other hand, the room and the breakfast totally met expectations.
Recommended, but there might be much better (e.g. the Marriott right next to it)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
HEINZ L, Manager at Sheraton Bogota Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Good day LucaAdvis0r:

Warm greetings from Sheraton Bogota. I want to thank you for let us know about the experience you had in your last visit. I want to offer my apologies if your expectations were not met because we work really hard in order to offer the best service.

Regarding our front desk staff I want to confirm they all have good level of english and we are constantly evaluating the level of them.

Once again thanks for sharing your important comments.

HEINZ LINSKER

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed January 8, 2013

The hotel is about 10 minutes from El Dorado airport. Check in was quick and efficient. The room was nice. I had trouble logging onto the free wifi in the hotel. After calling a couple of times, the hotel sent a technician up. I had a Cat. 5 cable with me and we plugged it into an unmarked connection on the wall by the desk. It worked fine.

The shower was a little different in that the shower head was on the opposite end from the shower controls. I actually liked that set up and wish more hotels would do that.

The breakfast buffet was quite extensive; you could even get an omelette made to order. The dining room is good sized and on the Sunday morning I ate there, it was quite popular after 9:30 am.

I had an afternoon flight, so I checked out around 12:45 pm with no wait. Check out time is 1:00 pm. While I was waiting for my driver, other people checking out came down and by 12:55 pm, there was a pretty sizable line that lasted until about 1:10 pm.

I was quite happy with my stay and will stay here again in the future.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
HEINZ L, Manager at Sheraton Bogota Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Good day Mr. Dave F:

Warm greetings from Sheraton Bogota. Thanks for your important comments . I am glad to hear you enjoyed the visit in our property.
We hope to have you again soon in our Hotel.

San Francisco, CA
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I was just in Colombia for 3 weeks with my husband and some friends. We stayed at the Sheraton at the beginning of our trip because our flight got in late and we were flying straight out to Santa Marta the next morning. Also, we figured we'd use some points and not pay for a hotel that night if we didn't have to.

If you are in a situation similar to ours, this hotel is great. Conveniently located, immaculate, on the nicer side as far as other Sheratons we have stayed in. There's not much right around there, although if you are also looking at the Aloft (where we also stayed), there is at least more to do around the Sheraton. We took a night walk over to the mall, for example. The airport shuttle is also very convenient (although we couldn't find it when we arrived and I have to say that nobody at the hotel ever responded to my email asking for more detailed information about how to find it).

The buffet was sort of strange (think strawberry and cabbage salad) ... although to be fair, not that much worse than other hotel buffets. Just ... strange.

The one thing that I did not sufficiently appreciate at the time was the hot water. In 3 weeks, we stayed in only one other hotel with reliable hot water ... the Aloft.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
HEINZ L, Manager at Sheraton Bogota Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Good day "honeymooners2007_08":

Receive warm greetings from Sheraton Bogota Hotel. Thanks for sharing the experience you had in our Hotel.
I am surprised with the comment of our buffet. I want to confirm that our executive chef and his team meet all the standards of quality and variety of food and beverage. We offer different types of buffets. We hope the next time you visit our Hotel you have the opportunity to try the different international and national gastronomic options we offer in our buffets.

Thanks again for your important comments.

Hickory Corners, Michigan
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I just returned from my first business trip to Bogata' Columbia. The Sheraton while very close to the airport and had a nice shuttle the hotel management was a bit to be desired. They put us on a floor that we were the only hotel guest - the rest of the rooms were under major construction. Yes most of the day we were gone and missed the sawing and hammering but the solvent smell and trash all around was not something you expect when paying $179.00 us dollars a day. We complained but said they could move us but didn't really look like they wanted too. The breakfast was good. I also had an issue with money exchange. Don't think I will be back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
HEINZ L, Gerente at Sheraton Bogota Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Good day "Cerealcreator":

Receive warm greetings from Sheraton Bogota. I would like to thank you for let us know about your important comments. I am really sorry for all the inconveniences you had.

Regarding the construction item I would like to confirm that sometimes we need to make some adjustments to rooms and we understand this can be an uncomfortable situation for you . I want to inform that if we could not change your room is because we did not have availability. When we get a request from our guests asking for different rooms and we have availability, we do it inmediately. Our main goal is to offer the best service for all our visitors.

In the case of the problem you had with money exchange I want to inform that unfortunately we do not offer that service in house, however there are some places close to our Hotel were you can do that.

Thanks again for let us know about your observations.

New York City, New York
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I’ve been in Bogota for 3 days and this is the second time I stayed at the Sheraton Bogota, and this may be my last time. Having travelled extensively for years for work, I have stayed at plenty of Starwood hotels in the US and Europe. The Sheraton Bogota demonstrated discrimination to a relative who came to visit me before I left the city. The front desk denied my visitor, who was not dressed in a business suit, access to my room unless I paid $140,000 COL pesos (approx. $ 70 USD) to allow my visitor to visit me! According to the Sheraton Night Manager this is the Sheraton policy to charge this fee for a visitor, even if they visit for only 1-2 hours. Anyone who plans to bring visitors to the Sheraton Bogota be warned, that you will be charged $70 USD per person. I have never heard of this policy at any Starwood hotel when either I visit someone staying at a Starwood or welcoming visitors to my hotel for a brief visit. I recommend staying at the Marriott Bogota next door to the Sheraton which does not have this restrictive policy. I stayed at the Marriott Bogota last time I was in Bogota. You would think that the Sheraton Bogota would not be stupid since they need the business being next to a brand new hotel. The differences between the Sheraton Bogota and Marriott Bogota: The Sheraton Bogota Club Lounge lacks beverages during the day/evening and evening appetizers, while the Marriott Bogota’s Club Lounge is stocked with beverages day/evening and serve evening appetizers/snacks. The Sheraton Bogota’s gym is from the early 1990’s – the machines are old and the sauna/steam rooms are co-ed, while the Marriott has a state of the art gym and their locker rooms have their own sauna room. The wi-fi is a hit or miss – I had to do some work on my laptop and sometimes it took up to 30-45 minutes to get a connection. The Sheraton Business Center is average. The desktops are free and sometimes the internet connection was slow on those machines; you are also only allowed to print up to 5 pages for free. The Marriott Business Center allowed unlimited printing and copying. If the Marriott Bogota sells out, I may consider the Holiday Inn Express one block away.

Room Tip: Try to stay on the side of the hotel numbered #01 - #16 which is quieter than the room numbers highe...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
HEINZ L, Gerente at Sheraton Bogota Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear Mrs. Vilca:

Receive our warm greetings from Hotel Sheraton Bogota. We have received your important observations related to your experience in our hotel. We are really sorry for the inconvenience you had in our property about the additional person, so I would like to explain our procedures.

One of our security policies is to register all the people that visit our guest in the rooms, in addition there have to be always an extra charge if the visit is in the romm. The front desk associate followed all the procedures but unfortunately, this situation made you feel uncomfortable. We never discriminate to any person that visit our hotel, every one is welcome in Sheraton Bogotá. We offer to our guest different spaces like our Restaurants, Piano bar, lobby in order that they can receive their visitors.

We offer in our Club level Breakfast for our guest, coffee station during the day, and some beverage and appetizers at night, I am really sorry if these not met your expectations.

During your stay we did not receive any comments from you regarding the inconvenience with the internet service, we have guest service 24 hours and we were happy to help you with this.

We are really sorry for this inconveniences and we thank you very much for let us know your valuable comments and suggestions; we hope to have your pleasant company on your next visit to Bogotá.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 3 days for business. It was very average. The room service was not good.....very bland. Not worth it. The internet is awful. This hotel cannot handle people using the internet at the same time. It only worked in the middle of the night when most people were sleeping. I asked the front desk staff about where to exchange money and they sent me to 2 places which were both closed even though they told me they were open. walked around for 30min only to find they were both closed. I asked information about Mt Monserratte but they were not able to give me the information. Everything was "I'm not sure, I dont know". I would never stay at this hotel again. I was not happy with the service. The only good thing about it was the rooms. They were a decent size and clean and very comfy beds. Thats about it. The marriott hotel around the corner looked better. The hotel even exchanges money there but only for hotel guests.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
HEINZ L, General Manager at Sheraton Bogota Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Good day "Aloha1977":

Receive warm greetings on behalf of Sheraton Bogota. Thanks for your important comments, they help us to evaluate our product and service.

Regarding your observations I want to confirm we offer High Speed Internet Access, in case our guests are having difficulties we also offer support and provide them with access points.
In the case of the exchange service unfortunately we do not offer this service in house but there are two places really close to the Hotel. We have the information of the schedule of them , but they are not part of the Hotel, so it is not possible to know if they close in different hours than the ones established.

We do have a concierge team that know all about touristic attractions of our city. This staff is located in our Business Center and they daily coordinate this type of services for all our visitors.

We hope we can have your visit again soon and show you the true level of service Sheraton Bogota has.

HEINZ LISNKER
london
Reviewed November 5, 2012

It was a great choice for a one night stop-over in Bogota. Not far from the airport but pretty quiet and very comfortable (great bed too), modern and spacious rooms. Service was so-so (inept reception girls take about 15 minutes to process a check-in) and food in the restaurant was barely edible (the worst I ever had in Colombia). The free cookies and refreshments in the lobby were nice (and much tastier than the food. :)) Can't fault the room itself though.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
HEINZ L, Gerente at Sheraton Bogota Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear "alpha333":

Warm greetings from Sheraton Bogota. Thanks for let us know about your comments, unfortunately it is not glad to hear we could not meet the expectations you had.

The standard time for a check in is 3 minutes so we offer our apologies if your registration took so long.

Regarding the quality of the food in our restaurants I am going to inform about your comments to our chef. Our main goal is to take the necesary correctives in order to offer the best products and services of the market.

Regards,