“old school charm with nice staff”
Review of Hotel Tequendama

and 1 more site!
Hotel Tequendama
Ranked #181 of 268 Hotels in Bogota
Reviewed April 24, 2013

This may not be a hotel I would chose myself, a very old school hotel screaming 'business'. Though, by the time I was leaving I was totally into its charm. All the staff knew me by the second or the third day, and they made sure I was doing OK. Though Bogota is much safer than it used to be, it was nice getting this reassured as a female traveling alone from abroad.

Building is old and rooms are simple, but kept well and clean. Ultra high-security to enter the hotel makes you feel safe (though, neighborhood is safe). Hotel has designated taxies, which were very convenient in town I was told not to hail a cab myself as a foreign female with limited Spanish. Having the same driver drove me to different places made things extra easy for me. Hotel taxi cost more than local taxi, but it totally worth it.
Convenient neighborhood, short walking distance to historic area Candelaria, and lots of good restaurants near by in Macarena right up on the hill.
As many of the wrote, internet can get patchy, but it worked. I used it whenever it was available. You are not in the US, so let's give them a break for a bit of imperfection.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the east has a good view of the mountain and greens, and I believe to be quieter.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
MariamFLT, Community Manager at Hotel Tequendama, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Dear Mrs Yuko
Thank you for staying with us and thank you for the time you took writing this awesome review, We are pleased you took the right decision choosing Hotel Crowne Plaza Tequendama for your stay in Bogota. We love to hear you liked our rooms and specially our staff service. We are looking forward to welcoming you again at Hotel Crowne Plaza Tequendama Bogotá.
Sincerely.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Tequendama

Reviewed March 23, 2013

It's the people who make the value
Indeed it’s an old solid building… however it’s the rooms look renewed; but what really impacted me the most is the attitude of the staff; and by that I mean the entire staff no matter what position they are in.
Location is very interesting and close to financial districts, downtown and plenty of nice restaurants.
I recommend it with no hesitation!

Room Tip: Pick a high floor with a spectacular city view
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
MariamFLT, Community Manager at Hotel Tequendama, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Dear marlecz,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for the time you took writing this awesome review, We are pleased you took the right decision choosing Hotel Crowne Plaza Tequendama for your stay in Bogota,. We love to hear you liked our rooms and specially our staff service. We are looking forward to welcoming you again at Hotel Crowne Plaza Tequendama Bogotá.
Sincerely

Reviewed March 14, 2013

March 2013
A decent hotel in need of renovation located in a run down and unsafe section of the city.

Slow check in and front desk service. Friendly staff. Rooms are ok for the price.

If you need even basic internet do not stay here as you will be frustrated.
Hands down the worst internet service of any hotel that I have stayed in over a decade of intense business travel. The local staff just apologies profusely concerning the internet and mentions the internet has been bad for some time. It appears management has no plan to fix it.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Tequendama, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Dear Steven D,

Thank you for posting a review of our property. It is good to know that you found our staff to be friendly and rooms comfortable for your needs. However, I would like to apologize for the issues you encountered during check in and Internet connection being sub par. We will use your comments to improve our efforts.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed February 8, 2013

I stayed three nights in this hotel in February. It is conveniently placed, although we were told by the staff that the area is not safe for strolling around after dark. The room was clean and the bed comfortable, breakfasts were OK. There is no complimentary water and my minibar was empty. It is obvious that the buliding needs some renovation, the windows do no isolate and since the traffic gets heavy in the morning, it was almost impossible to sleep after 6.30 a.m. even on the 9th floor. Free wi-fi was working well.

Room Tip: You should go for an upgrade to a suite, the price difference is not that big and it is certainly wo...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Tequendama, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Dear kooladanice,

Thank you for your feedback and for choosing our hotel. I'm glad that you found the beds comfortable. My apologies for the inconvenience you experienced with the condition of the property. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed January 7, 2013

This is an old building at the financial district of Bogotá. It's conveniently located if you want to go to most of the highlight attractions. The TransMilenio bus system is nearby and downtown Bogotá is also easy to get from here. The staff at this hotel is very helpful and as all Colombians, very nice and kind to all people. I adore you Colombians!!!

This hotel has a strict security system and sometimes people might feel uncomfortable with all the requirements to access any floor, a good idea if you think on your safety but Bogota overall is a very safe city. The breakfast buffet was poor and the last day at the check out, the receptionist requested a payment of COP96,000.00 (USD52.00) as an "insurance" I rejected this charge because I understand that any type of insurance is optional and should not be charged if you didn't request it. I booked this hotel on Expedia and the clerk at the hotel said Expedia did not include the insurance charge in their payment. I really didn't like this situation because neither Expedia mentioned it when booking nor the hotel at the moment of our arrival, i consider they should have told us about this insurance when we checked-in and not when we checked-out. I really expect an explanation from them. The clerk accepted my rejection and gave the pass to leave but I felt uncomfortable with this. Overall the hotel was good, quiet and very clean.

Room Tip: If you book at any online travel agency make sure they are not going to charge any insurance when yo...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
MariamFLT, Community Manager at Hotel Tequendama, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Dear Mr Catrachosps:

Receive a cordial greeting in the name of Crowne Plaza Tequendama Hotel and in my own name.

Let me thank you for giving us your very valid remarks in our services.

We are proud to receive positive comments about location, services and hotel cleaning. We regret that you had experienced problems with hotel insurance and we are improving reception services to make your stay more pleasant.

We look forward to your next visit and let us offer you a better service.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

The price on my room (upgraded to a suite with my ICH membership) was stunningly low and even without the upgrade would have represented excellent value.
Inside it is from a decade or more ago.The public areas are large and spacious and there are a full range of services. My room was light, airy and clean. The club room had excellent views over the city and a decent breakfast. All of the staff were helpful although the english skills of some of the lobby staff are a little lacking. The restaurant is pleasant enough (the food a little heavy though and the wine list not offered) but again one starts time travelling backwards. Beware if you eat your breakfast downstairs the food choice quickly gets limited - and you can play a game with your table of trying to find out where the bread choices are hidden.
It's in an area which has many of the large financial companies offices and this is a good choice if you have business in the area - not having to find a taxi in rush hour is a big positive in this city, in particular as heavy downpours come and go. However some of the area around is NOT tourist safe. If you're planning to stay here for a vacation make sure you use the hotel's (excellent) car service and understand where the boundary lines lie in risk.
I'll be back for my business needs. It's a decent enough hotel and they want to please. In another area this would be a much more expensive hotel and it's a good alternative to the increasingly pricey options of the more 'elegant' options in other parts of the city.
While I was there the hotel was crowded out children from some sort of national sports events. They spent their days riding up and down elevators and running around the floors. Whether the hotel consistently sells large block bookings of this type I don't know, but it did make the lobby areas congested and slightly chaotic.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
MariamFLT, Community Manager at Hotel Tequendama, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2013

Dear Mr. Phileas Foggontour:

Let me thank you for giving us your very valid remarks in our services.

The hotel has a history of 60 years old leading the hotel industry in our country, which allows us to have quality and experience in order to offer our clients the best service. As you mention, this hotel provides hosting large groups of people due to its great accommodation capacity. However, we always make sure that this doesn’t affect the good service that we offer to our guests.

We regret that you had problems mentioned above.

We look forward to your next visit to offer the best services.

Reviewed December 1, 2012

When I arrived late at night at this hotel I got a room where the garbage and some dirty coffee cups where left (you never know what else..). Then they changed my room, but the internet was not working there- it took them half an hour to get the technician to my room and another hour to get the internet working). After midnight I could already check my emails!
The prices they charge for business center services are out of this world (2 USD per page!!!).

Room Tip: think twice before moving in to this hotel - you have plenty of other hotels with same price and bet...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded June 7, 2013

Dear Mr. Jaroslaw S:

Let me thank you for giving us your very valid remarks in our services. We regret that you had that situation, since we have a clean service that allows us to deliver each guest clean and neat rooms.

Regarding the Internet, we have changed our provider which it will afford us to offer you a best internet service in your next visit.