“Helpful staff no help from kitchen”
Review of La Mina Steak & Lobster - CLOSED

La Mina Steak & Lobster
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: La Mina Steak & Lobster is one of the most renowned steakhouse in Bogota, Colombia. Steaks and lobster among its biggest specialties with two wine cellars. Great for special occasions whether it be for business of pleasure.
Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

We went to la mina, first of all was very difficult to make a reservation the call was sent to one place to the other with no answer.

The staff was very helpful in all the ways, very courteous.

So now the food, what is the porpoise of an online wine chart when is not directly updated with the inventory, Didn't enjoy much the recommendation of the sommelier and couldn't get the bottle I wanted.

For starter we order the fish tartar was good but a little lemon would have improve it, the empanadas were ok.

We order the surf and turf, it was ribeye and lobster, this has been the first time in a long time that I had to sent a plate back to the kitchen, it was very over coked, the second time the meat was good the lobster now a bit cold, but good. My girlfriends meat was good but the lobster not that much, but she had to begin her plate before me so that is never nice.

I thought they will give us a courtesy dessert or something but nothing.

Don't think is worth the price.

1  Thank Juanito1977
Ramon_E_Diago, General Manager at La Mina Steak & Lobster, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2014

Dear visitor,
We would like to thank you for your feedback and rest assured that we will take the necessary measures to prevent such incidents from happening again. You are a valuable customer and all we do is aimed to providing an exceptional experience. We hope to regain your trust and hope to have you with us once again.

There are newer reviews for La Mina Steak & Lobster

Reviewed June 14, 2014

Decided at the last minute to go to La Mina as we saw on tripadvisor that it is listed as number one. The La Mina Restaurant is beautiful but we decided that we wanted to eat outside which we did. Once outside we asked for La Mina Restaurant menu. But this is when things started going downhill : We asked for a sweet red wine which we were told they did not have as well as others that they didn't have or the waiter wasn't sure about. So we each had a Apple Martini and I had a Mojito. The drinks were great, but the waiter needed to be more informative on the kinds of wine they have so they can explain to their customers. The salad was good. The meal hummmm..... My friend had the surf and turf and I had the salmon each meal with mashed potatoes. My salmon was good but a "little" dry and the mashed potatoes on our meals had no taste to it. 88 Sillas Restaurant has a absolutely great Salmon with Mashed potatoes. My mashed potatoes were Luke warm. The turf and surf was good, but not great! The service was okay but needs a definite improvement in attentiveness and in knowledge of wines. We even had to ask for a receipt and that is something that should be automatically given to a customer. I will probably try La Mina again at the inside portion to see if service and meal would be improvement.

Ramon_E_Diago, General Manager at La Mina Steak & Lobster, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2014

Dear guest,
First and foremost we want to thank you for telling us about your experience, your feedback is of great importance to us as it tells our highs and lows directly from our customers. Please accept our apologies for the inconveniences you mentioned and rest assured we will take all the necessary measures to prevent these issues to happen again in order to give the an exceptional experience on your next visit.
We certainly hope to have you back one more time to show you the true service you deserve.

Reviewed May 13, 2014

We went to La Mina to celebrate my wife's birthday and since she liked it last time we went there we came back. The food was superb, the service was excellent and the ambiance was very nice. They setup a special table for us and everything was great. This is a place I like to keep coming back and definitively recommend. They told us that the menu was going to change so now we have an excuse to return.

Ramon_E_Diago, General Manager at La Mina Steak & Lobster, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2014

Dear visitor,
First of all let us begin by thanking you for allowing us to be part of such a special occasion, it is an honor to have you and your wife with us again. We certainly except you back with us very soon and hope that your next experience at La Mina will be even better than the previous one.

Reviewed May 13, 2014

Although our first visit to this restaurant ended up being quite disappointing on a service level, our second visit turned out to be really wonderful. The restaurant manager followed up with us offerring a complimentary dinner on our next visit in response to the valid service complaints on our initial visit. They truly made up for the initial disappointment, and our dinner was perfect, including the food quality and service level. The atmosphere is quite beautiful, comfortable, and charming. And, the food was really delicious. Recommended for a high end special dining experience.

1  Thank Danielle H

Dear visitor,
We are truly sorry about your first experience and thank you or giving us another opportunity to show you that you are a valuable costumer. It is wonderful to hear you enjoyed every bit of this new experience and that we were able to offer you the service you deserve. Thank you for your recommendations and we hope to have the pleasure of hosting you again.

Reviewed May 5, 2014

After celebrating a wedding anniversary, I thought this would be a fantastic location for a celebratory dinner. The ambience is one of the best and most up-scale in Bogota. With rock from the Zipaquira salt mine and luxuries furniture and decor - this should be a top choice for anyone wanting to celebrate a special moment.

What really stood out to me was the service. The restaurant, knowing this was my anniversary, went out of the way to decorate the table with rose petals and provide a complementary dessert. Additionally, the maitre'd was constantly watching to make sure nothing was left out, whether my drink was low or break was running out, they were a footstep and never had to be beckoned for service - an unfortunately problem in Colombia.

The only reason I did not give this 5 stars was the food itself. While good, it was not spectacular. I ordered the surf and turf (ribeye and lobster) and my wife ordered the ribeye. The meat is reportedly imported, but I was not a fan. The steak was extremely thin, and little to no marbeling/fat (seemed much more like Colombian meat). When I pay $40+ a plate in Colombia for "American" Angus beef, I expect to get a fat steak with great fat and flavor. At other establishments like Harry Sasson or La Brasserie, this is what I get when asking for the imported "ojo de bife" - this was not the case at la Mina. The lobster tail was good. The mashed potatoes were mediocre and there was no grilled asparagus included as noted on the menu which I did not argue about since I am not a huge fan anyways. As a side with her steak, my wife ordered a tasty sounding potato dish that sounded similar potatoes au gratin, but turned out to be a large boiled potato sliced in half with a wedge of mozzerella cheese and green onion.

Overall, the restaurant is beautiful and has amazing service. I just don't know if I would say this is the best tasting restaurant around. Perhaps this is due to a menu change (I believe they did this recently), food suppliers, and/or executive chef inexperience.

Ramon_E_Diago, General Manager at La Mina Steak & Lobster, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2014

Dear visitor,
First, we would like to thank you for sharing such special occasion with us. It is always an honor and a pleasure to make you feel welcome and go the extra mile to offer you an unforgettable experience. Also, thank you for your feedback regarding our meat and dishes, rest assured that we will check up with the chef in order to provide an exquisite flavor for your next visit. Thank you for choosing La Mina Steak & Lobster and we look forward to having you again soon.