“Best place in Bogota”

Ranked #65 of 267 Hotels in Bogota
Vienna, Austria
“Best place in Bogota”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

It's sad to read that there are security issues around the B.O.G Hotel, luckily I had a safe stay with my wife.

Spending the first night at the Sofitel just 2 blocks away from the B.O.G, we decided to change over because it's the more modern building. I can't say anything negative about the Sofitel staff, but it's an old building with small rooms, small windows and no pool. The B.O.G on the other hand has a great rooftop pool, nice decor und modern architecture and even helpful staff.

Only thing I would criticise is the noise from the four-lane road the hotel is located along. Although they mention sound-proof windows, in my opinion the windows are far from noise-proof. But nevertheless I found a deep sleep.

I guess the B.O.G is the latest & greatest hotel you can find in Bogota!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank ACPACPACP

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Czech first
Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed October 25, 2012

This hotel is in a strategic location, near to re T zone and one block of the andino mall, the hotel is very modern spacey rooms, with central heating, even though it is on a nosy street there is a good sound isolation, the hotel restaurant is a 5 star mestizo fusion restaurant. For sure will stay again

• Stayed October 2012
5 Thank medquito
san juan capistrano
Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I have visited Bogota each year for the past three years. This is the best hotel we have stayed at. The design of the hotel is excellent and well thought-out. The hotel staff have been very pleasant and helpful. English is a second language here,but most staff tried hard to communicate. We had concerns about exterior safety,but did not experience any negative issues. Many streets in the general vicinity were well lit but some had poor lighting and smooth sidewalks. If you are concerned,take a taxi. These are metered and inexpensive.
Our room was spacious and clean. Lighting was very good with the exception of adequate lighting for reading. We had no problems with cooling or air conditioning,but the weather was cool. Closets were adequate,but could use interior lighting.
We had drinks in the lobby bar and breakfast and one dinner in the hotel restaurant. OK ,but not great. Wait staff were good if not by good. The manager, Ignacio , who is from the states was very helpful and made the dining expierence good. Breakfast was marginal with minimal choices,but more than adequate.
Housekeeping was by good and efficient. Turn-down service was good. Enjoy the nighttime treat. Smoke alarm sounded one morning around 6:30am. Called the front desk and was promptly disconnected. No fire...false alarm. Could not change USD at the hotel. Need to do this before you arrive. Two banks nearby,but was told to go elsewhere.
All in all it was a great stay and would return. One last thing...the spare ribs in the bar were great for that late night snack.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank drishi
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 13, 2012

This was my 8th trip to Bogota and we were happy to find this chic new arrival to the Bogota hotel scene. The decor is chic minimalistic with hints of Colombian influence. Comfortable rooms and beds that cater more to business clients. Great location in a safe busy neighborhood. My only criticism is the slow unorganized service in the restaurant at breakfast. Lots of people running around but it takes 25 minutes and 4 people to get a cup of coffee. We didn't have a chance to enjoy the rooftop bar because it was closed the entire time for private parties. If they work out the kinks in the restaurant they will have a real winner!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank tgh60660
Simi Valley, California
Reviewed October 8, 2012

When you travel, you take your safety into your own hands. We all know this. This is one of the main reasons I use Trip Advisor all the time – to determine which areas of a city I’m traveling to are safe and which properties seem safest in that area. When you select a premium hotel like The B.O.G., and pay a premium for it, you expect one of the main things you are paying for to be safety.

To keep matters brief, on our second night at The B.O.G., my friend, my girlfriend and myself had the hotel make a dinner reservation for us at a nice restaurant about 4 ½ blocks from the hotel. The dinner reservation was for 10pm. We were told that despite the hour, it was very close and safe to walk. In fact, the front desk gave us walking directions. Two hours later, walking back from dinner the same way we had come, WE WERE HELD UP AT KNIFEPOINT, LESS THAN 1 BLOCK from The B.O.G. Our hotel’s Security Guard stood there and watched...DOING NOTHING AS I HAD A KNIFE TO MY THROAT, and my girlfriend screamed for help with my other friend trying to fend off 2 additional attackers.

After stealing my phone, the attackers fled. My girlfriend and friend ran toward the Security Guard...WHO CONTINUED TO DO NOTHING. Eventually, a man from the front desk (who had given us walking directions earlier) came out and after a few minutes, flagged down some police driving past the area. We gave a description of our assailant as best we could considering none of use spoke Spanish. We implored the cowardly Security Guard to give a better description, AS HE HAD WITNESSED THE WHOLE THING. But perhaps due to fear of reprimanded, he claimed he had poor vision and had seen nothing! Again, he was less than one block from us on a well lit street and if his vision kept him from seeing the large hunting knife to my throat, he certainly could have heard the female screams for help and he certainly could have seen and heard two men attacking a woman. By the way, if his vision is that bad why is he in the employ of this hotel as “Security”?!

Needless to say, the police never caught the guys. That is to be expected. What was shocking was the management of the hotel doing nothing to keep us safe, or to look after us after the fact. As we checked out the next morning, the front desk staff had all heard what happened to us and they all acted shocked. We requested to speak with The Front Desk Manager (who did not much seem to want to speak with us) and we made it very clear that we felt the hotel had more than a little responsibility for what had happened. Yes, street crime happense both in America and abroad but: A) They advised us to walk at a time of night when it was clearly not safe to do so. B) The robbery happened practically outside of their property, while their Security Guard watched and did nothing. The Front Desk Manager assured me that she wanted to make things right and that she would speak with her Superiors and email me within a day or two.

Two weeks passed and there was no word from her, or the hotel, or the hotels parent company, DESIGN HOTELS. When I returned home to the United States I emailed the manager, but never heard back from her. Not a word. I then contacted the parent company, Design Hotels...and never heard from them either.

The quality of a room and friendliness of the staff of a hotel is certainly important and B.O.G. has lovely rooms and a polite staff. But the most important thing is, does a hotel care about the safety and well being of their guests...and B.O.G. has proven they absolutely DO NOT. They prove this by giving us questionable advice in walking the neighborhood late at night. They prove this by hiring a “Security Guard” who offers only the dangerous illusion of safety. And they prove this by offering no comfort, consolation, or compensation for a robbery they were partially responsible for. It is shameful behavior for a hotel of this supposed quality. A hotel that will not even take responsibility for their shortcomings, will certainly make no attempt to fix them. Thus one has to believe, nothing is being done to increase safety at this property.

I have traveled all over the world, including South America, for many years. Nothing like this has ever happened to me before. I am writing this review because I want other travelers like myself to be safe and I want them to know that they ARE NOT SAFE at The B.O.G. Hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
13 Thank Bill B
Juan Carlos G, Gerente at B.O.G. Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear Guest

We are so sorry about the incident that occurred during your stay in Bogotá. The BOG Hotel is located in a very important area in the city of Bogota surrounded by the best shopping, the best restaurants and different embassies like France, Netherlands, British and japan embassy among others. In this area we had never seen an incident like that happened to you. Normally the area has a high police presence. That day when the incident occurred we inform the police station of the area it happened to take appropriate measures to prevent that kinds of incidents will happen again. We received from them a very positive response by increasing the number of police who are in the area permanently. As a report from the police, it was a delinquency act that unfortunately exists in all the capitals of the world and which we are not exempt. I reiterated, we are so sorry about this and we confirm you that we really take the necessary corrections to prevent that kinds of incidents will happen again.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 27, 2012

It's unfortunate to have to write a negative review for a hotel stay that started off so well. I stayed here with my boyfriend and another friend, and we all agreed that the rooms were modern and well-maintained, the roof bar had a fantastic view and great drinks and the complimentary breakfast exceeded expectations.
Every staff member we encountered was extremely professional while friendly and accommodating, that is until the second night of our stay when we were advised it was safe to walk several blocks to a nearby restaurant for a later dinner. The hotel is located in what we were told was the nicest, most upscale area of Bogota so we took advantage of an opportunity to walk through the city. As we returned from dinner around midnight, only a block from the hotel, 2 men approached us. One man quickly put a knife to my boyfriend's throat, demanding his iPhone, the other man grabbed me. After a few seconds I escaped his grasp with the assistance of my friend, and we both started screaming and running in the direction of the hotel, where a security guard was idly watching this all go down. My boyfriend ran up moments later, sans iPhone, frantically trying to tell the clueless security guard that we had just been mugged and needed the police. The staff helped us in filing a report, they were apologetic for what had happened to us, but couldn't explain 1) Why we had been advised to walk through this neighborhood at night and 2) Why their cowardly security guard did NOTHING when he not only saw a knife but heard a woman screaming "Help!" only a few paces ahead of him.
Upon checking out the following morning, the manager on duty apologized again but made no offer to right our terrible experience. Nothing was comped off of our rooms, and the follow-up email we were assured would shortly follow from upper management was never sent. As someone who works in the hospitality industry, I am VERY aware of the seriousness of leaving such a poor review for a business, and I hope that not only the management of the B.O.G Hotel but the TripAdvisor readers take it as seriously as I've intended. I feel it would be irresponsible and unfair to others traveling to Bogota not to tell this story and advise against staying at this particular hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
8 Thank Laura S
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 25, 2012

This hotel is brand new, the rooms are quite modern and minimalistic, it's walking distance from Zona T, the shopping malls and restaurants.
Leo, the restaurant downstairs and room service are incredible if you are looking for great Colombian food, it is from the same Chef of Leo Cocina y Cava.
The only problem is that this Hotel is a little too business oriented, thus when I was there it felt a little cold and empty. Although the hotel is beautifully designed it does lacks ambiance.
But then again it is difficult to find a Hotel in Bogota that is nice and has a good scene.
The rooms are nice, but sometimes their design gets in the way of comfort, not too bad though.
Either way make sure you request a silent room as it is close to a busy avenue and when I was there the Hotel was pretty new, so they had some issues with some of the AC units, make sure you address that as it can get pretty warm.
Overall I had a great stay over there and would go back again for sure.

Room Tip: Request a quiet room, make sure they confirm that the AC can handle the heat. The corner suites are...