WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of La Nina Hostel

La Nina Hostel
La Nina Hostel
Ranked #24 of 220 Specialty Lodging in Bogota
“Good option for low budget travel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2014

The hostal is a good option if you are travelling on low budget and if you are used to backpackers standard. Rooms are mostly clean, thought our bathroom wasn't so. Service is friendly and a small breakfast self-service is includes, for little money you can get additional's like scrambeld eggs, or colombian variations like huevos perricos and more.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Paisley, Reino Unido
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2014

I had stayed at the other hostel La Pinta before and enjoyed my stay A LOT.
This time I came back with my family but all private rooms were full at La Pinta so they told us to stay here, which is part of the same hostel chain and is located less than two blocks away.
My family was marvelled. They thought that the breakfast included would only be coffee but we had cereals, milk, toasts and even fresh fruit! Delicious! The room we stayed in had a double bed and a single bed, spaceful and quiet. It felt like home, and the staff was lovely and helpful.
The best thing is that they told me I could go to La Pinta whenever I wanted (they have a garden and a bar there) so I was happy to go back and enjoy their Friday colombian BBQ!

Room Tip: Cheap private rooms for people who want to stay a few weeks/months. They also give great discounts...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Ithaca, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2014

La Nina proved to be a very good choice for me for a few reasons: Its in a nice safe neighborhood and there are lots of restaurants. Its fairly close to walk to public transport to get down to the center and its also easy to get to the Portal Norte to get out of the city heading North which is what I planned to do,
The only negative comments I have is that the rooms are fairly noisy facing the street. But that's life in the city and I don't fault the place for that of course. However, the one thing I would avoid is using their airport pickup service or their "driver" for any ride. Its much better and HALF the cost to just have them call a taxi for you. The ride to / from the airport by regular taxi is 20-25,000 and they charge 40,000. Worse yet, I booked a ride with their service a day in advance to take me to Portal Norte and he never showed up and never called to say he was otherwise occupied. He decided to do an airport pickup instead (for more money than my trip was going to cost) and never called to tell me he would not be picking me up at the agreed upon time! So, I called a taxi who took me there by the meter and it was HALF the price he was going to charge me.
Otherwise, the place is great and the people who work there are very kind and helpful. JUST AVOID USING THEIR CAR SERVICE!!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank EddieInIthaca
Medellin, Colombia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

I've been here twice, in 2012 and this year, and both times I had an excellent experience. In my case, I always try to look for a nice place to have a real rest during my stay, and this hostel fulfill with all my needs: great location in a safe place, friendly and smiling personnel, comfortable and clean beds and also the possibility to schedule some urban and outdoor activities. Also, your room includes a nice breakfast.

During my last stay there, they were replacing the beds, so I consider they think in our comfort, which is a very good thing.

P.D. It's a cheaper option than La Pinta Hostel, which is near.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Ivan L
Ithaca, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014

I stayed at this hostel for 4 nights total over 2 stays. It's in a great location between La Candelaria and Zona Rosa. The neighborhood is great to walk around and the hostel is only a 10 min walk to the TransMilenio. The common space in the hostel is very welcoming and the bathrooms were always clean. Water pressure is great too. The beds are very comfortable but if you're down on the main floor, it can be a little loud sometimes with noise coming in from the lobby area. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Also, when there was a mistake with my booking and all the dorms were full, they let me stay in the private room they had inadvertently booked me in for the price of a dorm. A lot of other hostels wouldn't do that. Both times I was there, there were large groups of friends staying so if you want to meet other travelers this hostel might not be the best for that.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank knk24
Bogota, Colombia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2013

I stayed with my partner for one night at La Niña, in a private room overlooking the street. The price is right, and includes free computer use, towels, wi-fi, and breakfast. Showers were very clean, with good water pressure and hot water. The vibe is relaxed and familiar. La Niña is quieter than the sister hostel La Pinta (located two blocks away), which is a good spot to socialize as they have a bar and nice big outdoor area. Many people sleep at La Niña but socialize at la Pinta, as we did.

Breakfast was quite nice - fruit, coffee, cereal, toast and jam. They also have snacks and drinks (beer, too) for sale for very reasonable prices. The kitchen is modern and everything works....they have a hammock available if you ask at the desk, which you can hang in the front and chill out and read.

Staff, as per my interactions, have always been friendly and amazing, in particular Andres and Julia who are really charismatic and knowledgeable about the area, in addition to speaking great English.

I went on a tour led by Andres to Quebrada la Vieja (ask at the front desk), which was g-o-r-g-e-o-u-s hiking and an amazing view of the city, and a bike tour down 7th street to La Candelaria. (the bikes are rented through La Pinta) Definitely recommended.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ciudadesgemelas
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

This hostel is in a small building but space is well used. I stayed in a single room (small but enough) with shared bath. There is a very casual and friendly vibe around the dining - kitchen area where guests use the wifi, eat and cook. The fridges are new and classy. They sell snacks and drinks, honour system. There!s a proper washing machine with dryer -- 8K COP per wash (more than what the staff told me). A bit hard to find but can get taxi to call the hostel. COP 20K taxi from airport if no traffic jam. You have to wash what you use in the kitchen including breakfast crockery, which is unusual for the latter. There are very tiny matches to light the gas stove, normal for this region although unusual for those from outside South America. Lots of places to eat nearby, supermarket, banks. Short distance from Bus-Rapid-Transit.

Something they could improve. There's a noisy door bell and buzzer when the gate is opened. Gate is in line of sight of receptionist.

The staff