“Cosy and relaxing”

Niza Norte Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #20 of 330 Bogota B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 27, 2013

I'd stayed at Niza Norte for a week in October based on a recommendation by a friend. It was my first time in Colombia so I was a little wary of the country itself but immediately felt safe and welcomed when I'd checked in. The place has more of a bed and breakfast feel rather than a hotel. My room was spacious and the staff were friendly even with my limited bad Spanish. There's a mall within walking distance (about 5 mins away) and a small park in the neighborhood. Coming from the city, I was overwhelmed by the exotic flowers and fauna just around the neighborhood. My favorite part of the hotel is the swing-set in the garden where I would just relax and read my books once the tourist stuff got the better of me. I definitely miss that!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Rin_Isk

Reviewed October 31, 2013

I went there on vacation from October 6- October 9, 2013. The Hotel itself is completely gated, and you have to be buzzed in, but the front desk person's window faces the gate door so you wont be stuck waiting to be let in. It feels safe as hell, being my first time in Colombia this is exactly what i was looking for. Each room has a phone and you can ask for the front desk guy to call a taxi for you. they show up right outside the gate within 3-4 minutes, the front desk calls you when they show up so you dont have to wait outside unless you want to. The room i was in was upstairs by the courtyard. In there was a double-size bed which fit 2 people comfortably and the sheets and comforters were nice and warm. Floors are tile and the restrooms have that blurred glass on the ceilings to allow for natural light as well as regular lights. It looked pretty nice. IF YOU WANT TO KNOW IF IT HAS HOT WATER, IT DOES.
I had no issues with the wifi there, the password is located near your room phone.
like the title says, i'm going back a few months from now.
Nearby things:
The mall
Mcdonalds
Papa John's pizza (i know crazy right?)
like 1000 pharmacies with that good strong colombia medicine.
all kinds of food vendors.

I actually opted once to walk to the mall and i had no issues, just dont be an idiot and try walking alone at night.

Room Tip: There is no swimming pool or fitness center just fyi
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank exocet10us
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Stayed at the Niza Norte for 8 days in April. Enjoyed my stay and think the hotel is a good value. Safe, sercure and clean. No frills. Breakfast is limited to just eggs, toast and juice/coffee. Staff were nice. Only complaint was one of the ladies working in the front office told me they would remove the extra bed and replace it with a desk. I requested the bed be removed on two occasions but it never was. Maybe it was my poor Spanish???? :)

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I needed to travel to Bogota, for personal reasons on my own and I had the fortune, to stay in Niza Norte Apartments B&B,I really love every thing about this place,and this was because I felt at home.
The place is located in a safe neighborhood in Bogota!!
Rooms are very nice and clean,
Leo and his staff were very helpful in giving me Useful information, always smiling and doing their best.
Breakfast was simple but nice, specially the coffee always fresh! All this things make my stay very very pleasant!! I highly recommend!!!Niza Norte B&B.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Ginamaya
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I stayed two times within the last month in this hotel accompanied by my wife and my 2-year-old son. We chose this hotel because it was located at walking distance from my mother’s house, and given that she was ill and could not receive us in her own house, this was a perfect choice.
The first time, we had an average experience. The room was very small and the cleanliness of the bathroom was far below Colombian standards (which are usually very high). However, the breakfast was good and the price was fair enough for what we got (about 50 US$ per night).
Our second experience started very well and ended with a nightmare. We got room 18, which appeared to be a huge “suite” composed by a kitchen and two rooms with unnumbered doors (this is VERY important). Each room had three beds, a plasma TV and an unclean bathroom, similar to what we got the first time. The person in charge simply gave us the keys and left without saying any further information. We said to ourselves: now you are talking of a bargain!
The first day-night went on without any problems. On the second day, we left our “suite” in the morning after barring the outer door and leaving both inner rooms open. We arrived at 10pm with our son sleeping in our arms and found out that the lights of the “suite” were on and that someone was sleeping in the room that we were not using. Completely alarmed, I went to the front desk and talked with the person in charge (a simple watchman who identified himself as “Elio”). He told us that the situation was completely normal because we were only paying for one room within an “apartment”, and that the other person got the other room (the unnumbered room 19). I told him that the person that showed us our room never mentioned this and that we could have never figured out ourselves that we were sharing the suite given that both inner doors were unnumbered. Having left both doors open when we left, the other person had complete access to our room, including passports and money. Elio simply laughed. I went completely mad at him and went to my room to do an intensive search for any lost item. After verifying that nothing was missing and seeing Elio moving the person sharing our apartment, I calmed down and decided to go the main desk again and write an official complaint to avoid similar misunderstandings to future clients (I was simply going to say “Hey, put the numbers on the right place, in the inner doors!”). When I got there, I met a young man who presented himself as Luis Rueda “owner of the place” (I seriously doubt he was). He told me that it was useless to write my protest because he was there and I could complain to him personally. When I started telling my story, he began yelling at me that I had paid for a single room instead of the whole apartment. Then, I tried to explain him that the person that showed us the room never mentioned this (had I known it, I would have paid for the whole thing from the very beginning), but I never finished. He interrupted me, yelling again, with all kind of insults that I won’t reproduce here. He managed the whole situation as if he was a bouncer of a fancy bar and I was a drunkard making trouble, the only missing part was that he never hit me. After about two minutes of insults, he finally told me to, literally, “[-] off from his hotel” and left banging his office’s door. I stayed there frozen in the company of Elio who witnessed the whole thing. What kind of human being would put a couple and his sleeping two-year-old kid out at 10pm in a city like Bogotá?
Then I started reasoning with Elio who agreed to let us stay after paying the full price for the whole apartment (about 85 US$ instead of 50).
In summary, I had to pay for a misunderstanding started by a member of the staff, and for being insulted and almost kicked out by the “owner” of this hotel. Needless to say that I will never return here and that I am now writing an official complaint (I will post the hotel’s answer here if necessary).
If after reading my story you still want to give this place a try, I strongly suggest that you double-check with the staff what it exactly what you are paying for, and where does exactly your room begins.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
10  Thank Asdfqweqwe
NizaNorte_Apts_Bnb, Owner at Niza Norte Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Our goal is always to give our guests the best service and experience, we try to improve everyday on this subject . In our 4 years of existence we have never given such treatment to a guest.
We have a strict protocol to respond and handle possible guests complaints, and it does not include violence or offensive attitudes.
On the other hand we are very specific about the apartments and rooms we sell. The type of room you pay for is specified on the receipt and on your reservation. Also you get a key which opens specific doors of an specific apartment. Aditionaly you can also see the diference on the price. Finally the number on the door is accurate.

That's why we can assure all the community this review is sabotage.

Our goal is also our security and our guests security.
We do not tolerate :
1. Guests Being under big influence of alcohol and hallucinogens substances being sexually, physically or personally offensive against employees or other guests.
2. Guests Threatening the life of our staff or other guests.
3. Guests being explicitly violent and offensive against employees.
4. Guests under big influence of alcohol and hallucinogens substances making scandals during the night.
5.Guests which on purpose disturbs peace and security of other guests.

In those cases, we try to help , but when we can not control the situation we call the police.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

I highly recommend Niza Norte if you’re looking for a safe, clean, fairly priced home away from home.

This family run bed and breakfast is conveniently located near the bulevar Niza shopping center and no more than 12 to 15 minutes from la Zona T and Zona Rosa – the more exclusive areas in Bogota. During my stay, I had the pleasure of getting to know Leo and his crew and needless to say they made me feel right at home.

Hailing a cab was easy, just ask the front desk.

In regards to safety, the area is patrolled by guards which come in-handy when you’re lost trying to find the house. I had no issues with my apartment and I even drank the water from the sink. I stayed in the apartment with the hammock and it was glorious!!!

There is a convenience store at the corner of the street and the best part is they deliver!!!

Note: the reason for my visit was to celebrate my buddy’s bachelor’s party and as anticipated, we didn't clean up after ourselves…. Thank god for the cleaning crew. These two lovely ladies kept our space clean – god bless them. I also had an unfortunately run-in with a door that cut my eyebrow, lucky for me, Niza Norte has insurance for everyone who stays there. They called an ambulance to check me out at no cost to me – a sweet deal if you ask me.

Room Tip: Niza does not have a swimming pool or fitness center.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank cesar p
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Nice hotel in a nice neighborhood, near a mall and major transportation routes. Above all, safe clean and friendly. Breakfast had freshly made juice which was nice and has a nice little garden in the back. Seems to be a family run business.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo