“A Pleasant surprise”

Ranked #55 of 337 things to do in Bogota
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed July 29, 2014

I didn't expect much from a museum located on one floor of a sky scraper in downtown Bogota. However, it was a very pleasant surprise. The guide was excellent (I took the tour in Spanish) and we got a good picture of emerald production and the different types of emeralds. The gift shop is excellent as well--good quality at good prices

Reviewed January 22, 2014

I've visited this little museum twice in the past several months with friends who were visiting us here in Bogota. I just went last week and the entrance fee is only USD$2.50, so not sure how
much the one person got charged who said it was expensive. It's in a building that you show
your ID and they take a photo of you before getting in the elevator and you go up to the museum. BTW, there's a clean bathroom with soap and running water on this floor. You watch a short video in Spanish as they round up an English speaking guide, otherwise the tour is in Spanish. Then you go in a dark room and watch another short video that is subtitled in English. The guided tour takes you to 4 sections of Emerald mines that are replicas of the real deal. In the next room, they have several emerald pieces and Emerald art in glass cases. The guide explains each case. There are some magnificent specimens. You are then free to look and buy in their jewelry shop. Colombia is famous for it's Emeralds, so this is an interesting and informative stop.

4  Thank Marcia74
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Given the high admission charge we were very disappointed in the tour that seemed to hurry us to the "opportunity" to buy emeralds. The guides English was difficult to understand.

1  Thank Robert S
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We went to this museum as part of a private day tour in Bogota. You go through the museum with a guide in a group, and get a mini-lecture on emeralds. There's really only 1 room with emeralds, which was a little less impressive than I was expecting, and then you are directed into a showroom where you can buy emeralds. It was fine and I was not bored, but there are probably more interesting things to see in Bogota.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

This museum is in an office building. You can not take pictures. It is PRIVATELY owned. (Im def jealous of that guy!!!) It is a guided tour but I have never in my life seen emeralds like this before! The tour guide is really informative and I learned a lot. Check out the store at the end and try some bling on!

Been to Museo Internacional De La Esmeralda? Share your experiences!