“Solid Hotel in Good Location”
Review of Hotel GHL 93

Hotel GHL 93
Ranked #90 of 267 Hotels in Bogota
New York City, New York
“Solid Hotel in Good Location”
Reviewed September 23, 2011

We started and ended a recent trip to Colombia in Bogota, and stayed at two different hotels for the different legs. Both times we stayed in the northern part of the city, in Parque 93 at the Hotel Avia 93 for our first leg, and in Zona G at the JW Marriott for the last leg. There is really no comparison between the two hotels because the Avia 93 is a small boutique hotel and the JW Marriott is truely a world-class luxury hotel. If prices are similar (when we returned to Bogota on a Sunday night, the rate was $209 at the Marriott and $170 at the Avia 93), I would definitely choose the Marriott, no question. However, the Marriott gets quite pricey during the week--it was more than double the price of the Avia 93 a couple of nights we were there--so the Hotel Avia is a good option if you want a lovely boutique hotel in a safe, relatively convenient location, and you don't want to spend a lot.

The immediate location of the hotel is not very attractive due to a construction site across from the hotel, but there was no noise (surprisingly) and you are just a block from many restaurants and a lovely park. It's about a 15-block walk to the shopping district, which we did a couple of times. So overall, I would say the location is good--ten blocks further south would be better, I think, but this was fine. It also appeared very safe, and the hotel offers private taxi service (for a fee), so you can get anywhere you want to go safely and conveniently. You can also call and be picked up anywhere in the city. It is pretty far to the tourist sites downtown (about a 30 minute cab ride), but cabs are dirt cheap and from what I saw on one evening cab ride to dinner, I definitely would not have wanted to stay downtown. (Side note: I live in Manhattan and am very much a city person, but this was a bit too much -- think groups of junkies on the corner. You won't see anything like that in northern Bogota, though.)

As for service, everyone in the hotel was very sweet and accomodating. The hotel is nicely designed and the restaurant is beautiful. The rooms are clean and comfortable and have great showers, and free Wi-Fi too, if I recall correctly. The complimentary breakfast is terrific. Really I have no complaints about our stay here.

Overall, if you are a person who needs a typical luxury hotel with a lot of amenities, this hotel is probably not for you. But if you are looking for a lovely, clean, safe, welcoming hotel with great food and perks like free Wi-Fi, look no further! The Hotel Avia 93 will leave you very satisfied.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank kate0614

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 19, 2011

I stayed here for a week in April, 2011. i was visiting my husband, who was there for an extended stay for business. I enjoyed the minimalist decor, the comfy bed, the fancy breakfast, the high end toiletries, and the rooftop lounge. I did not much appreciate the price gouging by the front desk staff on cars, the sub-standard plumbing, the poor customer service, or the odd smelling sheets,

I noted another reviewer's comment about the lack of temperature control on the shower. The same was true of the sink. I left the hot water running for a few seconds, trying to fill the sink (not an easy task) so that I could wash some things. Suddenly there was a loud pop. The plastic pipe under the sinkhad burst and there was water everywhere. My husband and I went to the front desk to notify the staff. We were told that it was Holy Thursday and they couldn't predict when the sink would be fixed because the maintenance guy would need parts to repair the sink. We asked for another room and were offered a room that my husband had previously moved out of because of other maintenance issues. We waited patiently for two days for the sink to be fixed. Finally my husband insisted on another room. the only one available was an upgrade, which they insisted they would not give to us at the original rate. (another example of inappropriate price gouging) Finally, my husband was able to convince them to give us the upgrade, and I had a sink for my last two days, in a slightly bigger room.

The location is good. Skip the private cars the hotel offers and have them order a taxi.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
OC California
Reviewed July 10, 2011

After abruptly leaving the Virrey Park (see report) I was advised to check this location out.
After getting past the initial price gouging attempt by the front desk (expected, showing up without notice) we settled on a rate. I inspected the room, it appears small but after moving in, proved very comfortable. The bathrooms are nicely appointed but the lack of scald protection on the shower valves was a surprise...several times! I'm a builder so this is inexcusable in a hotel, where neighbours are probably going to flush or shower at the exact time you're in the shower (which leaked). The initially interesting looking plastic trough sink was a pain, not being able to stopper it was a waste of water too.
The bed........that bed, if I could fit it in my bag, would be in California tomorrow.
The fact that the adjacent office building can look into your room, a pain but the novel electrically operated drapes make it an incidental one. The location is very good, close to restaurants, pubs etc, the room soundproofing was good. Breakfast is a treat, nicely presented foods in a quiet environment.
Only the plumbing stopped me from giving a higher mark, book ahead as always.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Hammer997
Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed March 17, 2011

Modern Hotel minimalistic style. Excelent beds and down pillows , perfect showers. Personalized service. Breakfast, a la carte.
And with gourme quality