“Good finding close to T-Zone”
Review of Hotel Virrey Park

Hotel Virrey Park
Ranked #130 of 268 Hotels in Bogota
Reviewed November 25, 2011

I booked by internet trying to find a cool place to stay for a nice holidays in Bogota. When i arrived coffee smell of the Juan Valdez place, makes me feel i am at the right place for my jet lag ;)
Building has an antique architecture, but is quite good when you go inside. Rooms are modern, comfortable and clean, and bathroom was perfect (it is always my main concern anyplace).
At the resturant at first floor, i tried a really nice pasta and good price for that area.
Only thing i did not like too much, is in sunday government close 15th Av.and other strees at city for sport activities and i had to walk 2 blocks to find a taxi, but if you enjoy walk and parks around, for sure you will love it.
I think the best for me was location, full christmas decoration at park in front of the hotel, few blocks from cocktails bar, T zone with a lot of nice restaurants, shopping malls and Andre Carne de Res (Bogota version).
I had the best time there!!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Despegar
There are newer reviews for Hotel Virrey Park

Reviewed August 8, 2011

Virrey Park is a very good hotel about 4 blocks from Zona T.
Pros: safe place, comfortable and clean rooms
Cons: no air conditioning in my room. I know the city is cool most of the time, but the room was hot. The concierge was kind for getting us a fan.
The breakfast is included, but it has few options of fruits and food.

Room Tip: When booking, ask for a room with a view to the park. They are fresher and the view is good.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 6, 2011

I arrived late (as in 10pm) and when the cab dropped me, I thought I was in the wrong place!
The shuttered, run down looking business district told me to make note: never go out after dark. The lobby staff were despondent looking, decidedly uncheerful.
I went up to the room in a rickety old elevator, whose floor appears to be coming apart.
The room on the 5th floor was sparse but adequate.
I tried to shower but there wer no towels in the room. Not having eaten in several hours and after perusing the freshly audited and signed for (no kidding) mini bar, I thought I'll have to try and find a restaurant, no, no kitchen at that wee hour. On the way out I mentioned the towels and asked for the wifi key.
I managed to find a decent spot about a half km away, good food, managed by a nice Argentinian who spoke great English, can't remember the name of the place, sorry.
When I got back after running the gauntlet of touts outside strip bars etc I was given a card with the wifi password, wifi was good to their credit.
This area got really noisy by 06-30 so sleep became impossible and I went to the shower to find the shower door broken, necessitating my lifting it to close it.
The shower was adequate but by now I wasn't relishing a week in this place.
The final straw came in the am at breakfast, a sparse buffet in a room whose ceiling was about to fall down. I went upstairs, told the desk I was checking out and began to pack.
I then called a friend to meet me so that I might look for alternate accommodation.
All might have been forgotten had an alert clerk not have noticed that local call on my room phone. I was asked for 600 pesos for the call....033 cents.
I hadn't yet been to a cambio so I offered my visa card, "too little" was the retort. I won't go any further, yo get the drift, stay away until they finish renovating the place and get some class.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Hammer997
Reviewed March 3, 2011

You have to pay in advance even when supported by credit card, room and specially small bath, NO ECOFRIENDLY waste to much water and noisy room from inside and out

• Stayed: March 2011
2  Thank Gustavo D
Reviewed December 14, 2010

I have made many trips to Bogota and have stayed in 5 or 6 different hotels during my visits. Virrey Park gets my award for best value. It's a solid hotel, nicely decorated with a friendly staff. The location is fantastic as you're between Park 93 and the T zone. If you're concerned about safety (I think people go overboard on it because of Bogota's past), there is a police station across the street. The elevator they have is worth one night's stay. You'll feel like you've gone back in time to Europe 80 years ago.

Pluses:

- Rooms are nicely decorated with comfortable beds and sheets. I've noticed that many hotels in Bogota cut corners on the mattress quality. Not here, I've slept soundly every night.
- Staff is friendly. The bellmen in particular are extremely nice and always say hello.
- Location is fantastic. You can walk to anything and there is a Carulla (grocery store) 2 blocks away.
- Nightlife in the area is good but it can be noisy up until 9:30 or 10:00.
- The price is fantastic. Shop around as different sites offer this hotel at different prices.
- Hotel is next to a park (thus the name). You can go for a nice walk and it's relatively quiet.

Minuses
- Hotel is on 15th Avenue which is one of the more heavily traveled roads. Colombian vehicles do not adhere to the same pollution standards that you would see in Europe or the US so the pollution can be a bit shocking.
- While breakfast is included with your stay (very common in Bogota), the selection is very thin, especially with the fruits offered.
- Yes, the rooms are small but for a single traveler (or a romantic couple), it's fine. It doesn't bother me but for some people, I can see that they would not be happy with the room size.

Overall, I have enjoyed my stay here very much. When you weigh price, location and amenities, the hotel is clearly a very good value. When I compare this to other hotels that are priced similarly, Virrey Park clearly wins.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank JonInHouston
Reviewed October 21, 2010

I stayed there on a business trip for 4 days.

The stay was wonderful. The best part about the stay was its staff. Very friendly, most understood english. You could trouble them at any hour of the day and they would still be all helpful and smiling, willing to help.

The rooms were plush as well. But here is a word of caution. For the same price, the size and type of the rooms vary. We were three people, and all of us got various varieties of room. One got a nice Hillside view, one got 2 balconies, while the third got a very small room. Even the sizes of the rooms vary. So make sure you get the best available room.

The restaurant is nice too. The hotel is situated next to a big park, where you can go for walks or a jog. It is about 15min away from a couple of malls as well.

Overall a great experience.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank me_nishantgupta
Reviewed September 4, 2010

This is the former Hotel Charlotte. It's a good choice for the north of bogota since it is right between the Zona Rosa and park 93. It's clean, but rooms are small. Some have only interior windows, so look at the room before you take it. Friday night a disco plays loud music, but the hotel staff was so great they changed our room.

• Stayed: September 2010