“Only a good bed and breakfast.”

Hotel Santa Barbara Real
Ranked #155 of 267 Hotels in Bogota
GreenLeadersGold level
New York City
“Only a good bed and breakfast.”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Let's begin by saying that the front desk staff knows very little English, later we found out that there is a fee that you have to pay for AFTER you made your reservation online because you did your reservation online (re-read if it doesn't make sense) It didn't make sense to me either.
The room had the smallest windows I have ever seen in a hotel room, so If you are claustrophobic this is not the hotel for you. AND DO NOT buy anything from the mini bar, at the right corner of the block where the hotel there's a grocery selling everything on the mini-bar on normal prices.

Room Tip: If you have a claustrophobia problem, let them know, some rooms have very small windows.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Medellín, Colombia
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I spent a night on a business trip about 16 months ago and thought the place was good back-a-days. Well, I now have to say it's not as good any more. It used to be a "great potential" place and it turned into a "you get what you pay for" type of place.

So why didn't I like it this time? I'm going to start with the things that were good and now were down graded by a poor administration (that's my opinion). So, here are some facts:

1- The rooms are a bit worn down. The wooden doors were scratched and some things simply looked old.
2- A few instructions I needed for the Free calls (national and international) they offer, never arrived to my room, even after being told they were going to be on my night table.
3- Service: I asked for a second room key on the night I arrived and they said they couldn't and finally gave it to me unwillingly and after having written down I had to keys which I had to return upon check out... wow.
4- Breakfast: just ok

Though there weren't many pros, I have to confess the internet was above standard! It was faster than the usual hotels.

I guess I wouldn't go back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Bogota hotels

Santa Marta, Colombia
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Unless you have an unlimited budget, there are three things we look for in a Hotel: Clean, Comfortable and Affordable. Some say two out of three isn't bad but if your on a business trip, you need to get a good night's sleep and for my wife and I, the Hotel Santa Barbara fell way short in the comfort department. We booked a room in what the hotel described as a "matrimonial suite". Much to our surprise, this got us a double bed. Since, my wife and I are "sprawlers" who, by the way just moved to Colombia and recently traded down from a King to a Queen bed, this proved to be an issue. It should be noted that beds in Colombia are different. In the US, we generally have a box spring and a separate mattress. In Colombia, the mattress and box spring are combined in a single unit and placed on a pedestal. The result is a bed that is usually firmer that most of us are used too. This bed was "very" firm. The bed came with two "sleep" pillows and three "throw" pillows. The sleep pillows were also very hard. I need more than one pillow to sleep and knew this would be an issue and called down to the front desk to request two additional pillows, hopefully softer. We were told immediately that the hotel had no additional pillows. I attempted to utilize the throw pillows as an alternative not only for sleeping but to sit up and watch TV (there was no alternative chair or sofa for TV watching). In short, getting comfortable in this room was very difficult. The other comfort issue was temperature. The two mornings we were there, the temperature in Bogota was low fifties. There was no heat or any provision to control your room temperature. The mornings in the room were cold. The room was clean although void of anything on the walls. The tile floors were very cold and socks were required. Other than our request for additional pillows, which fell on deaf ears, the hotel staff was generally responsive. The morning breakfast buffet was limited but fine. We paid $225 US for two nights total. Note we were charged an additional $50 because we were now living in Colombia (?). All said an done, when we returned home after a few days making sales calls in Bogota, my wife and I were exhausted. Frankly, we did not sleep well in the Hotel Santa Barbara Real. We certainly would not rate this place at four stars? Like I said in the beginning, If you can't get a good night's sleep on a business trip, you have a problem. That was our problem with this Hotel and we'll be looking elsewhere on our next trip to Bogota.

Room Tip: Confirm the size of the Bed! "Matrimonial" is not what you would expect. Maybe bring you...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I'm not picky but I'm not going back to this hotel. the check in took about half an hour, I was in a rush for a meeting with wrinkle clothes and no body could help. Checking out was as slow and painful as checking in. Clean place, nice washroom, quiet and comfy bed but seriously no iron?

Room Tip: No iron anywhere in the hotel!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
jcamilog, General Manager at Hotel Santa Barbara Real, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear Guest 13buyi13

Thank you for taking the time and leave this important feedback. First of all let me apologize for any inconvenience you may have during your stay at our hotel. I want to let you know that thanks you your feedback we are changing the check-in/out process in order to make it faster and less traumatic for our future guests. In addition we now have among our services, a special Iron and board for delicate and special fabrics.

One again on behalf of the Hotel Santa Barbara Real I apologize for the experience you had at our hotel but thanks to your feedback we hope this experience does not repeat for future customers.

Camilo Gomez
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Nice boutique hotel, gret location and the service is good.
They have taxis always at the front door.
Breakfast can be limited in options but it is nice that it is included in the fare
All and all it was a good experience

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Ukraine- Egypt- Emirates
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I m very picky client , very hard to please, I was ok with this hotel , let me say all the mistakes :
1. all the rooms can hear each other , if somebody not sleeping next door you can hear it. you can hear all what hjappening outside your window ... but I think its a general mistake of all the houses in Bogota ... one glass windows all the time all the places.
2. one lady from the staff was very rood to me .
3. very difficult was find an adapter for electricity . its not like in europe , and not like in uae ... its small one
4. at night is becoming very cold in the room since all the houses in Bogota are having the same temperatura like in the street.
5. parking underground become paying at the end and very big amount of money , nice surprise :)
6.the room was small

Now good things,,,
all the staff except one lady is very friendly and helpful also its very clean !!!! very clean ... one more time - very clean !
good bed , very comfy !
good location , nice neibourhood !
good price for 4 stars , but tis not 4 stars in real
good breakfast

Room Tip: they have bigger size of the room , better to take this pne , but better to chose one on the backsid...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
jcamilog, General Manager at Hotel Santa Barbara Real, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Natalia

Thank you for staying with us.

I appreciate your feedback and our Customer service team is now working in order to solve the inconvenients you've mentioned regarding insulation and sound proofing. Our staff is in constant learning so in name of the Hotel I apologise for any missunderstanding that had may occur.
We are trying harder to improve and have a better service every day.

Once again thank you for your taking time to leave us a feedback. We will take action promptly. and we hope to see you again back in Colombia.

Sincerly,
Reviewed December 30, 2012

I just had a two day stay at this hotel. Rooms are clean and comfortable, not as quiet as I expected but street noise is low during weekends. The toilet has some kind of water saving technology, so it takes two to three flushes instead of one. Hot water can take up to five minutes to come out, consider this since Bogota has a very cold weather. Wifi passwords are valid for 24 hours, and cannot be used in more than one device. There is a minibar in the room with juice, softdrinks and water, but no item pricing. The basement can hold up to 4 cars in very tight parking slots.

Staff is very friendly, specially the lady that serves breakfasts. But there is this young guy at the lobby that handles check-ins and payment: rude, avoids eye contact, zero smiles and during my check-out I heard him arguing with a guest through the phone. Not a very good impression of the hotel.

• Stayed December 2012