“Great hotel but uneven service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of JW Marriott Hotel Bogota

JW Marriott Hotel Bogota
Ranked #2 of 260 Hotels in Bogota
San Francisco, California
“Great hotel but uneven service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

This hotel is very nice. The decor is tasteful and modern. Rooms are spacious and the beds are super comfortable. The location is perfect if you want to be in downtown Bogota--walking distance to great restaurants and good shopping. Those concerned with safety will find this hotel has very good security. Room service was prompt and delicious. Internet speed was adequate. I really only had two issues with this hotel. First, the service and friendliness of a few hotel staff. I encountered people who were less than helpful. For example, I went to the reception desk to get change for a 20K peso bill (~$10 USD). I like to carry a few smaller bills for tips and taxi's. I made the request a got back two 10K bills. I asked the women (did not get her name, but she is the only person with braces on her teeth) if she could give me a few 1K bills and gave her a 10K bill. She literally rolled her eyes, grabbed the bill and came back with two 5K bills, no 1K's. I just took the bills and walked away. No big deal, but I really could have done without all the attitude for a simple request. The second issue was regarding taxi's and discrepancy in the agreed upon price. The hotel will arrange a taxi for you and will default to the hotel taxi, which is fine but approximately double the price of a regular taxi. You can request that the hotel call you a taxi from a reputable taxi company and they will (as foreigner, you should always call for a taxi vs. flagging one down off the street.). I specifically requested a non-hotel taxi, but was given a hotel taxi. I asked if it would be the same price 25K pesos (which is ~$12 USD) to the airport and was told yes. Got to the airport and the drive wanted $25 USD, double the price. I told the driver to call the hotel since I only had 25K pesos as I was leaving the country. It was all sorted out in the end and I paid the agreed upon price of 25K pesos, but this happened several times during my stay. So my advice, is quickly jot down the price so there is no misunderstanding. Also if you hire a driver by the hour, note the start and end time by the clock in the car (just take a quick picture with your phone camera when you enter the car). Again, the drivers always seem to over inflate the actual time you used their service so unless you have some proof you are stuck paying whatever incorrect time the driver quotes at the end of the trip. On a more positive note, the staff on the executive floor was great. Especially Paola who was at the executive floor reception desk. She was helpful, profession and very nice. Always addressing me by name and asking if there was anything she could do to help. Also, the bellboys were super. Unfortunately I do not have any names, but all of them were great. They always greeted me as I was entered the hotel and addressed me by name, which I thought was amazing. Despite the few service hiccups, I enjoyed my stay. I think this has become my go-to hotel when staying in Bogota. Also, taxi from airport to hotel was $25K pesos (~$12 USD). There is a taxi stand at the airport with fixed prices. You should pay in pesos, so either exchange money (there is a currency exchange booth in the baggage claim area) or use ATM prior to going to the taxi booth.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the elevator if need quietness to sleep.
    • 3 of 5 stars
Miguel_Belloni, General Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Bogota, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay with us. It is nice to know you enjoyed the establishments as well as the location of the hotel and we’ll be sure to pass your regards on to the staff at the Executive Lounge.
Your comments regarding out front desk agent come as a surprise to us as our associates drive themselves to offer the best service possible, so we will follow up on this matter to clear up any inconsistencies. We apologize for the misunderstanding in transportation pricing and we will make sure this information is passed on with clarity in order to prevent future confusions. Thank you for your feedback as this provides the best insight on how to provide you with a spotless stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Memphis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Arriving on business only for an overnight stay and late....not really knowing what to expect. But walking through the doors I was impressed. Modern, sophisticated lobby and rooms-great spacious marble bathroom. Room service delivered Huevos rancheros for breakfast-delicious. I wish I had time to check out the spa.

• 5 of 5 stars
Miguel_Belloni, General Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Bogota, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear guest,
How nice it is to know that you found a pleasant atmosphere upon arrival. We are glad you enjoyed your room service order and we are sorry you did not have enough time to pass by the spa and take pleasure in the many massages and rituals we have for you. We hope you have a bit more time on your next trip to Bogota and thank you for telling us about your experience with us.
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is new and very nice.
Staff is super courteous. Rooms are big. Breakfast is ok. Gym and pool are very nice.
Centrally located. They have their own cabs, so, it feels safer for visitors.
Room service is good. Though once they brought me something different to whay i've had ordered.
Internel connection is very good and can be used everywere in the hotel

Dear guest,
It is nice to know you liked the hotel as well as the service provided. We are glad that our transportation service was convenient making you feel safe and that the Internet connection was suitable during your visit. We apologize for the room service mishap and you comment has reached the departments involved that way such mistakes will not happen again. We hope to have the pleasure of hosting you again and thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience with us.
Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

I had a very brief business trip to Bogota. I had not been to Bogota for many years and held all my meetings at the Business Center at the JWM. I was very pleased with the service I received from the Business Center personnel. I had difficulty accessing the hotel wifi and the person staffing the business center was able to correct for me. It was irritating though to pay for wifi after paying a premium rate for the room, paying for the use of the boardroom for the entire day, etc. Felt like I was nickled and dimed. But the service and quality of the hotel was excellent. I was upgraded to a huge suite, kind of a waste with a 1 night business stay, but appreciated. Excellent quality sheets on the king size bed. Nice large bathroom and the room was spotless. Had breakfast on the Exec Floor and that was merely average. Food was just OK. Service was also just OK as the place was oversold and it was difficult to find a table in the morning I had breakfast. Had buffet lunch at the Monet Brasserie, which was good, but really enjoyed the food and service at La Mina for dinner. Excellent food and attentive service.

• 5 of 5 stars
Miguel_Belloni, General Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Bogota, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you for choosing the JW Marriott on your business trip to Bogota, it is nice to know you came back after many years noticing the big metropolis Bogota has come to be. Please know that we strive to offer the best possible service in all aspects of the JW experience and it is rewarding to know we achieved that goal during your visit. We are glad you enjoyed your suite and hope you come back with a bit more time to enjoy it for much longer. Thank you for telling us and other travelers about your visit and we look forward to hosting you again.
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at this hotel in early September for 4 nights. It is pricey. To give you an idea we actually paid for the hotel with points and still had a hotel bill of incidentals costing over $500. Obviously you stay in a 5 star hotel you know things will be more expensive and that's fine. The service was great none the less. One thing to note that I think 5 star hotels should move away from is that they charge (quite a large fee) for internet. We needed it for the trip and it costs $50 for just a few days. The internet service was fairly weak in our room and they agreed to take it off of our bill which I thought was the right thing to do.
I was also reading that if you are not a resident of Colombia they can not charge you the daily tax - we did however get charged this where we did not in other hotels in Colombia. It was not a large charge but something to note. Also I was ready other people's comments about taxi's from the hotel costing more than other taxi's. This is also true. Again its not a huge difference in cost but you can count on a Marriott taxi running roughly $3-$5 more than standard street taxis. We took both and both were accommodating and safe.
We used the spa at the Marriott which was also great and we got hot stone massages. With my Marriott rewards we received an email stating we would get 50% off spa treatments from 10am-5pm Monday thru Friday and 20% off at other times. We asked for something in the afternoon any day of our stay and for each day they said they only 5:15pm which I thought was weird since the hotel was not full and there were very few people in the spa. We ended up getting the 20% discount. Again not a huge deal but would have been nice if they suggested other times that fell into our discount range.
We had a martini 1 night at the Martini lounge which was also great but the drinks (premium) ran about $35 each when all said and done (taxes, tips) -- they were delicious and strong but quite pricey..again excellent service none the less.
Breakfast was not included with the room so that was also an extra cost of $40 per day which we ended up purchasing at the time of check in -- aparrantly it costs more if you decide to do it later. The breakfast was ok but was convenient for our mornings being just down the hall.
All in all I have to give 5 stars for the service, room, comfort of bed and location -- financial district - walking distance to everything. Since we were not there on business, although we loved the hotel I think I would stay in the Zona Rosa section or Parque de la 93 as this area was more our speed. Still it was only a 10-15 walk to everything. Definitely more of a business hotel though - we just happened to have points for a (somewhat) free stay.
I think in general all hotels should offer free wifi as a courtious, the charges for this hotel even if working properly were way too high.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rveege
Miguel_Belloni, General Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Bogota, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear guest,
We want to thank you for spending a few nights with us and more so, that you were able to do so with your Marriott Rewards points. We are glad you were able to enjoy the various services we offer, such as the restaurant, bar and spa. The JW Marriott is oriented mainly for the business traveler however, we hold valuable to offer all necessary means in order to provide any guest with the best experience in the city of Bogota, we encourage you to approach our concierge for the list of activities that will most suit your liking. Our apologies for any inconvenience you might have had with the weak internet signal and we’d like to let you know that during that period we were in the process of upgrading for a better internet connection. Please note that there are certain regulations by law that state the parameters to tax exemption further than weather the guest is a resident of the city or not. Thank you for your feedback and wonderful comment and we hope to have the pleasure of hosting you again.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

There is a reason why the JW Marriot costs twice as much as any other hotel around, and after the first couple of hours you start realizing why.

The service is first class, just as you would expect from the JW line. There is always someone willing to help you in any way and make your experience unforgetable.

Huge Pros:

1. Bathrooms are perfectly clean, spacious and an absolute delight to spend time on. The tue is big enoug for two and the multiple amenities make a buble bath an spectacular experience

2. Breakfast is out of this world. They combien typical Colombian food with international continental breakfast keeping it classy and sophisticated.

3. The enviroment around the pool area is as relaxing as expected

4. The outside area of the Dry73 Bar is outstanding and the 3 MArtini options make it difficult for you to arrive sober to your room hehehe

To improve:

1. Gym is small and lacks real wights. Its designed for 50 year old ladies pretending to excercise

2. I can't accept to pay for WiFi even if cheap when I'm already paying us$200 for a room

Overall if you can affod it don't even think about going anywhere else.. There is just no comparison with any other hotel in the metropolitan area in Bogota

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Camilo A
Dear guest,
We would first like to thank you for choosing the JW Marriott Bogota and for taking the time to write such wonderful comments about your stay with us.
We are glad that your room was suitable for you and that the service provided by our associates was as you expected from a JW Marriott. It is nice to know that you enjoyed a taste of Colombia in our breakfast buffet and we look forward to hosting you on your next trip to Bogota.
Eugene
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

A beautiful property in upper end area of Bogota. The well appointed lobby and lounge filled with elegant floral bouquets at all times are sumptuous. English spoken freely, and security is well maintained yet unobtrusive. The rooms and beds are lovely and baths distinctive. Many events are held at the property, and service was excellent. Our second time here on business.

A lovely extensive breakfast, buffet and omelette chef await in the mornings for quick or restful dining. The restaurant located on property is delicious and architecture distinctive.

Room Tip: This is a more luxury experience, not for the backpack traveler in Bogota, but if you have business...
    • 5 of 5 stars
Miguel_Belloni, General Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Bogota, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write your opinion about our hotel and for the nice comments you made regarding the property as well as the service. We are glad you enjoyed the breakfast buffet and hope that we made your business trip a smooth one. We hope to have you on your next trip to Bogota and thank you for choosing the JW Marriott.