“Excellent hotel, walkable to restaurants”

JW Marriott Hotel Bogota
Ranked #1 of 269 Hotels in Bogota
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Just came back from an 11 night stay the JW Marriott Bogota. Our group arrived late to Bogota and didn't get to the hotel until 1am. I had emailed the virtual concierge for a slightly larger room. Being a Marriott Rewards elite member, I just get in the habit in hopes of scoring an upgrade. I got a mini-suite so I was appreciative.

The checkin process was quick and painless and I headed to my 7th floor room. The room was big, clean and trendy. The bed was soft and comfortable. I could never adjust the thermostat to get the heater to turn on. Bogota ranges from 60-70F for highs and 50F for a low. I just stayed under the covers at night. All 3 in the group had the same problem and never called the front desk. The bathroom was big and clean. It had separate shower & soak tub.

The lobby, checkin area and lobby lounge was pretty much all connected so I don't understand some other reviews claiming it was small. The executive lounge was spacious but lacked some tables in the morning. It was typically stocked with food and drinks.

Morning breakfast downstairs at Monet was good, not great. There is enough variety for all along with some local fruits and dishes. Monet for dinner was acceptable. La Mina was excellent but could/will set you back a few pesos. Dry73 appeared small so I did not try it.

The fitness looked great, you just won't catch me in it. It had plenty of machines, thread mills and free weights. It is open 24hrs. The pool was nice and the hot tub better.

As for location, you can walk to Zona G within 5-10 minutes easily and it is perfectly safe. There are 15-20 good to great restaurants there like Harry's, Criterion & 69 Oyster (read my reviews). Zona Rosa (Calle 82 & Carerra 11) is a 20 minutes walk or 4 minutes taxi ride. There's tons of shopping & restaurants there as well. Carerre 7 partially closes on Sundays and holidays so folks can ride their bikes, jog and walk their dogs.

Speaking of dogs, you'll get your bags & backpack sniffed by the guard dogs everyday along with the metal detector. You get used to it, keep calm and carry forward. I saw Martha Stewart there my first morning.

Value-wise. It falls inline with its price, you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Grab an even room for the mountain view
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank GDVinHTown
Miguel_Belloni, General Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Bogota, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Dear guest, thank you for staying with us during you trip to Bogota. We are glad that your arrival experience was quiet and that your room was pleasing to you. We apologize if the temperature of the room was a bit too cold and we wish you would have let us know in order to provide you with a heater for as long as you needed it. It is good to know that you tried both our restaurants and we’d like to encourage you to visit bar Dry73 on your next visit, it might be a bit small but the variety of martinis it offers make up for it. We are glad that the location of the hotel was convenient to you and that you found your overall experience to be excellent.
We hope to have you again with us on you next trip to Bogota and thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

The hotel is new and in the business district which means it is a long way from the old quarter. Bogota traffic is simply appalling so unless you are a businessman, I advise you not to stay here.
The lobby and reception are too small but the breakfast and service is quite excellent as are the rooms.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mikeyHongKong
Miguel_Belloni, General Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Bogota, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Dear guest, Thank you for taking the time to give us you opinion about the JW Marriott Bogota. We are sorry the traffic was a big inconvenience for you. Sadly, this is the traffic you are bound to find all throughout the city regardless of the location of the hotel but we do try to offer a prompt transportation service for your convenience. It is good to know that the service, as well as the rooms were pleasing to you and we do hope to have you here on your next visit to Bogota.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

The JW is a great hotel in downtown Bogota. The lobby and reception are small but well designed, adjacent to the comfortable lobby bar.

Clean, bright rooms, with 110 outlets for North American visitors.

The restaurants are good with Monet providing better value in my own opinion. I know this is a JW, but I would love to see a more casual restaurant or bistro.

The local area has security concerns especially in the evening. Take hotel cars, available through the concierge of bellmen, whenever possible.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Dear guest, thank you for choosing the JW Marriott on your visit to Bogota. We are glad you were pleased with our establishments as well as for the services we offer. The JW Marriott is located near Zona T and Zona G with a wide variety of restaurants you may also like, please see our concierge on your next visit for the best recommendations.
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience with us and we hope to have you again.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

After welcoming experiences in hotels in Cartagena and Medellin, I was a little suspect when my taxi arrived and I was met not by a smiling bellhop, but by a guard with a dog to sniff my bags and another with a wand to make sure I wasn't carrying a gun. Turns out that was more of an indicator of the big city not the hotel! As soon as those formalities were completed and I stepped through the doors a very different vibe ensued. Great service from the front desk including a free upgrade to the executive floor. Very friendly and helpful bellhop named Jahir. Fun and entertaining Waite-staff at the executive lounge, completely professional with every attention to detail. Shout out to Johan the waiter for having an excellent memory. The Spa was wonderful, again, every detail was covered and (Angelica) the masseuse was top notch. Even (Alejandro) the driver they provided to take me to dinner downtown was great to chat with and did his job well. Anybody can build a nice building, which they certainly have done, but the staff is what makes this hotel stand above its competitors in Bogota. I had an early flight, and missed the breakfast, but am convinced that like everything else in the hotel, it would have been excellent.

Room Tip: The Executive floor was a nice treat
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jacob B

Dear guest, it is a pleasure to know that our staff was as attentive as you expected. We do apologize if the guard dog might have seemed a little strange at your arrival but please know it is standard procedure as the safety of our guests is one of our main concerns. We are glad you enjoyed the benefits of the executive lounge as well as for the relaxing time at the spa. Rest assured we will pass your compliments along to our associates and we hope to have you once again on your next visit to Bogota.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I have written a previous positive review about the JW Marriott in Bogota. My opinion of that hotel has changed since my last trip to Bogota.

A few months ago, I had reservations there for 2 nights, separated by a trip to Cartagena. When I arrived from the airport at about 11:30 PM, the electricity was out in all of the hotel. There was not even a back up generator to serve the basic power needs of the hotel, such as keeping emergency lighting on and keeping their computer system up.

The Marriott was sending some guests to rooms they reserved in the Hilton. The power was COMPLETELY OUT, and literally nobody could stay in it. I knew of a better hotel to stay in where I could easily get a room. I spoke with the manager and told her that I would be going to another hotel. She was friendly and said that my reservation with Marriott would be cancelled at no cost to me. When I got to the other hotel, I got a room for that night and for the 2nd night after returning from Cartagena.

Well, a month later, I had charges on my AMEX for two nights at the JW Marriott in Bogota! Now I am stuck in a lengthy dispute process trying to get those charges off my AMEX.

I travel a lot and I don't need these hassles from a hotel chain that should be much better organized than this.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Chilango M
Miguel_Belloni, General Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Bogota, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Dear guest,
We know that this previous visit did not go according to your expectations and please know that the electricity problem we encountered was out of our hands.
We would like to apologize for the inconvenience this issue is causing you and we understand you are upset. We hope you will contact us so we may look into this issue and figure out what caused the charge, and we can fix the problem as soon as possible.
Thank you for letting us know about it and rest assured we will provide a solution.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Booked ahead for this 1st class hotel in a great neighborhood of little cafe's. Excellent service by staff, contemporary styling in the room, and delicious breakfast included in rate we chose.
Would come back to this hotel

Room Tip: Book ahead
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sandra M
Miguel_Belloni, General Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Bogota, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Dear guest, we are glad that the service offered by our associates was pleasing to you and that the establishments such as the rooms and our breakfast were up to your standards. Thank you for choosing us in your visit to Bogota and it will be more than a pleasure to have you again.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

This is the best hotel I've stayed in Bogota. It's just perfect! You can see below I only have positive reviews and nothing negative to comment.

Postives: Location, Security, Rooms, Service, Internet Wi-Fi, Fitness, Restaurants (just fantastic...)

Negatives: Nothing

Room Tip: If you have a chance, try to pick a room at the executive floor.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Denyson

Dear guest, it is very good to know you consider us you best choice in Bogota. It makes us really glad that you had a good experience in every aspect. Please know that is it nothing short of a pleasure to offer you the best kind of service we can give you. We hope to have you with us again real soon and thank you for taking the time to let us know about your visit.