“Good location, otherwise a pretty basic place”

Swiss Hostal Martinik
Ranked #16 of 290 Specialty Lodging in Bogota
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I stayed at Swiss Martinik five nights May 28 - June 2, 2013. The location is good, just a one minute walk from the free Botero Museum. There are many restaurants and cafes nearby. The staff was helpful. There is delicious, free coffee throughout the day. The WiFi was pretty good, though at times it would abruptly disappear; the signal was always strongest in the reception area. Apparently a basic breakfast of bread and granola is also provided, though since it is set up near the reception area -- not near the kitchen area where the free coffee is provided -- I missed the breakfast and did not discover the complimentary breakfast until the morning I checked out.

A couple areas for improvement: I stayed in a single room (#6) upstairs. The room could not have been much smaller. I could literally stand in the center of room and extend my arms and touch the walls with my hands. The room contained a single bed, a small 4-shelf unit, a wastebasket and nothing else. One ceiling mounted light. The bed was okay-comfortable but a rectangular window that admitted natural light also was just above the laundry area and staff did laundry until late at night, past midnight on my last (Saturday) night there. So trying to fall asleep as the washer/dryer ran just below the window was problematic. Does the laundry really need to be running at midnight Saturday?

Room #6 also had a flimsy lock, just a tiny padlock that attached to a clasp that was connected to the exterior of the bedroom door by three phillips screws. Anyone with a phillips screwdriver and three minutes could have easily gained entrance to my room. (Having been ripped off in a hostel in Italy, I am sensitive about hostel security.)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
RetoErniAcosta, Owner at Swiss Hostal Martinik, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2013

Thanks for your response. It is very difficult to implement your advises. Things like high secure door locks or room safe are too expensive for us as a traveler Hostel. Otherwise we have too increment the prices of a higher level (and that is not the idea).

To secure the hostel we have a good security system (4 security cams / two security doors). Also we have lockers located near the reception. We think that are the most important installations to improve security.

About the washing machine, we will take more care to use it ;-)

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Martinik was the first hostel Ive been to in my trip to South America and a good choice it was. been there for 4 days and had a realy nice time. Reto the owner was so nice and so helpful with our questions. nice clean rooms, great bathrooms and a very good location in La Candelaria.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights on March 2013. Nice, comfort hostel with great staff-girls talking good english. Lightning-fast Wi-Fi elsewhere, simple breakfasts, well equipped kitchen. Try not to take single rooms - budget single #11 is just a bed in a very small room and it's near the kitchen (very noisy during daytime & evening) & single room #5 (near the bathroom - very noisy on mornings).

But in general, if you have no problems with a sleep or using a ear-plugs - hostel in a great choice. Heart of the city, Plaza Bolivar - is just round the corner, in 5-7 minutes by foot.

Taxi from\to Eldorado airport costs max 25000 pesos. If taxi drivers asks more - use next taxi. By the meter, its 22000 pesos.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I'd love to give this place 5 stars because of the atmosphere. Everyone on the staff was very friendly and helpful and it was very appreciated. However, and this may have a lot to do with my room being at the front of the property, it was very loud at night and earlyearly in the morning. My bed and pillow were also uncomfortable so I only stayed two nights before moving on to a new place.

The wifi was excellent and covered the whole property. The TV room was comfortable and had Directv, if you're into that kind of thing. I loved the always hot and fresh coffee in the kitchen.

If the bed I was in was better and I had used better earplugs I would have happily stayed longer.

Room Tip: Stay upstairs, if possible, for a quieter experience.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This wasn't the best but not also the worst hostel we've stayed in.
We went to there because it was a bit cheaper ($50.000 for a doble room) than most hostels in the Candelaria area and there was breakfast included.
Our room was in the back of the hostel and had a window into the hallway. Also the walls are thin and so you can hear everything that is going on. I guess this is the case in most hostels in old buildings but we had a hard time sleeping because people would talk in the kitchen until late at night instead of sitting in the reception area or the TV room where it would have been fine.
Also the beds are not really comfy.
Another con for us was that although they told us you couldn't smoke inside the hostel some people - and I especially remember one nicely dressed lady from the staff - smoked every half hour or so in the back in front of the bathroom. If we left the window open the smoke would come into our room.

BUT I also have to say that the staff was really friendly, especially the Swiss owner. Everyone was helpful and nice.
We also really liked the Müsli for breakfast (but there is also toast and jam and the coffee is free all day)! One recommendation for breakfast: eat early because there is not much left late in the morning.
The location was really good. Very central in the old town and you could do all the important sights on foot and there were enough restaurants around to eat at.

So if you are used to noise at night or don't mind earplugs (or you might just be lucky and only considerate people are staying in the hostel that keep their voices down after 11pm as the hostel requests) it's a decent choice!

Room Tip: We are not sure if there are rooms upstairs but if there are they might be a better choice because o...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I arrived around 10 pm from airport paying around 30,000 COP via taxi to the hostal in Candaleria area. My spanish was very poor but we understood each other with receptionist. My room was clean. I rented a locker to put my valuable items like passport, iPad, credit cards by purchasing a locker for 5,000 COP from them. It was worth. The hostal is in a very central location to visit museums, walk to funicular to Montserrea and eating places, buses, market etc. It is very safe and friendly place. If you expect luxury and efficient safe place would work for you at Swiss Hostal Martinik. I definitely recommend. The receptionists help you to call taxi or give directions to any of your activities. Also, ASK for free english speaking guided tour every Tuesday and Thursday for two hours at 10 am which organized by Tourism of Bureau at Bogota. It was super helpful and informative.

Room Tip: Don't take the room next to the kitchen. People were chatting late at night so I couldn't sl...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Having booked directly with the hostal via email, everything was set and ready upon my late night arrival. Check in smooth, and my private room was ready and set. Good value for money at 38,000 COP...shared bath but they were right across the hall with 3 showers available.
Large kitchen for use which had all the things youd need to make any meal, free hot coffee (althogh sometimes weak) 24/7. They gave you plastic containers for your food to put in the fridge which kept things organized as well.....the kitchen was nice, really good.
TV/movie room excellent with lots of room and selection of things to watch on TV. Small simple breakfast in the morning but its nothing to write home about - is what it is. Cold drinks and a few other things you could simply put on your tab. Two internet stations for free use.....music on in the background...safe and secure entry with the buzz in format. Location was great - although the street it is on has quite alot of traffic and the busses wih the well known pollution making it a bit uncomfortable walking around the immediate vacinity.

They offer a 10% discout on a 7 night stay and if you want to volunteer with an organization they recommed (for a couple hrs a day), they will give you an additional 10 or 20% off as well - cant remember. Dorms are approx 24,000 COP.
Rooms are good sized....no windows of course, but they have shelves and places to hang clothes. Beds are ok.....but the plastic on them and the plastic encased pillows dont make sleeping the best youve ever had.

The girls working the front desk are awesome, fun, attentive and enthusiastic. They are very knowledgeable in tours and tourism and will help you with anything you need. There is lots of information up to read and learn about Colombia. Further, there is an activity board they update daily that gives you ideas of things to do.

I really enjoyed this hostel, planned on a few nights and stayed 7. Highly recommened for ppl who like good value, dont need the top of the top ammenities but like comfort and convenience.....and for those that want to meet other travellers. I will stay there again when I am back in Bogota.

Room Tip: The rooms at the back of the hostal do not get internet reception....at least not when I was there...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends