“Noisey but nice......”

Hotel Casa Deco
Ranked #19 of 268 Hotels in Bogota
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 9, 2011

Cons: Noise is a problem. I was told that double pane windows are to be installed soon. That will help, somewhat. Rooms on periphery suffer from both the street noise and interior sound. I would suggest, some insulation around the door frames and under the door, and where possible, and it was in both rooms I had, a second door between the entry and sleeping area. Even normal conversation in the breakfast area or lobby just bounces up the interior courtyard and through the unsubstantial doors. If available, and considering the relative bargain, "splurging" for the "junior suite" (which still has a window into the interior vestibule) is the way to go and I was MUCH happier in this (our second) room. The outdoor window faces inward and there was not much noise from the hostal next door.
My other issue was the poor water pressure and lack of hot water in the otherwise very nice and large bathroom of my first room. Fortunately we moved and I never got the chance (or bothered) to complain so I cannot say they couldn't have done something about it. They are so accomodating I am sure they would if they could.

So much for the negatives.....
PROS: Other than the great staff, it's a great location for seeing the things in this part of the city. I split my time and in retrospect would have spent 3 days here, 2 in the G zone or shopping area and a couple in the north end ....I like to get out to walk to things and Casa Deco is great for the Historic Center, Monserrate and Candelaria...which looks a little spooky but is just filled with college kids having a good time. I didn't feel danger, even at night.

I hope they can get the noise thing under control, it's the only flaw here.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
GianpaoloGM, Propietario at Hotel Casa Deco, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2011

First of all, Thank you very much for all your coments, We really apreciate all your sugestions,and we will try and put them into practie. It was a pity you did not have the oportunity of sleeping in one of our 4 rooms , that all ready have new double glaze windows, thus you could had seen the big diference they make.

we hope that by the end of the month, the rest of the windows are done,thus noise its a problem of the past ;-)

Thank you again.
Gianpaolo Magnani

There are newer reviews for Hotel Casa Deco

Reviewed January 4, 2011

My overall impression of this hotel is that the staff are beyond excellent and helpful but the noise is pretty intense. Its not really their fault - its that of the architect. The staircase goes up through the middle of the hotel with the rooms on the floors outside of that and the noise just echoes up through the middle of the building. I mean to the point that I could hear forks being placed on the table four floors below.

That said, I feel guilty saying that as the hotel really is quite nice otherwise - the staff is top notch in particular. Their solution to the noise is to leave ear plugs by the bed which is fine and all but I can't sleep with those in so it didn't really work for me.

Otherwise a great place and the bathrooms are particularly nice as well.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 2, 2011

From the moment I arrived, the personal attention was very appealing. Many of us are first-time visitors and the level of local knowledge at the reception desk was impressive. I saw the best sites and did not waste time with other, overly hyped tourist sites. The museums in Bogota are world class and all within walking distance of the Casa Deco. Comfortable rooms (excellent design and decoration) and excellent customer care - I say "thumbs up!"

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed December 20, 2010

I spent a very enjoyable week at Hotel Casa Deco. I found the staff helpful and the manager, Gianpaolo, was of particular help in answering questions and giving guidance regarding restaurants in the area.
Gianpaolo is a very well informed person and I had a number of interesting discussions with him during my stay.
I spent an enjoyable time on the roof top over-looking the city and the mountain. I would definitely recommend this hotel to my friends.
I took some pictures of the lobby of the hotel, which is very well decorated, and the roof top view, and sent them to a number of my friends.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed December 16, 2010

It was such a joy to stay at Casa Deco, the staff is friendly the place is just wonderful and the location is perfect when you are planning to be around La Candelaria, Casa Deco has a particular charming that is hard to forget!

• Stayed: December 2010
Reviewed December 13, 2010

We found out about Hotel Casa Deco through Trip Advisor, and picked it after looking at many other hotel options. We were in touch by e-mail with Lina, in reservations, and she was extremely helpful; we almost felt that we knew her before we arrived.
The room was great; one night there was some noise from a party staying at the hotel, but the noise was certainly not the problem suggested by some other reviewers. As mentioned several times, the breakfast was excellent. There are numerous restaurants within walking distance, and we never felt threatened in the city.
We were lucky enough to find Margarita, who runs a car driving service, and we had two days with her, seeing Bogota, and nearby places. Well worth doing.
Colombia seems to be trying to live down its reputation of the past, and as far as we are concerned, it is succeeding.
We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andres41
Reviewed December 12, 2010

My husband and I stayed 3 nights at this hotel. Great location. Walking distance to many museums. The staff went out of their way to help us in anyway they can. Our first night there we got in at 10:00pm. The front desk person gave us dinner recommendations to go to El Gato Gris around the corner. It was a great restaurant with locals hanging out having a long slow dinner. It was perfect for some drinks, food and people watching.

Re: Noise: I chose this hotel because of other reviews that said it was centrally located. Wanting to be in the hustle and bustle of the city will mean more noise than staying in the big hotel district. However, the trade off is well worth it to just walk outside the hotel and have many options for bar, restaurants, museums, plazas within walking distance. They give you ear plugs when you check in. This was NOT a problem for us. !

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple