“Be very careful”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bogota
Hotel Avenida Dorado
Ranked #205 of 268 Hotels in Bogota
Chatham, UK
“Be very careful”
Reviewed March 26, 2011

I reserved another hotel (Ambala in the historic centre) with an airport pick-up. When I arrived late evenin at Bogota Airport the driver was waiting with a sign with my name on. He said the Ambala was closed and he took me to the Avenida Dorado instead saying it was the same area, price, quality. It is not central at all, they tried to rip me off with both the room rate and taxi price and it is in a bad area opposite a petrol station. A maid came into my room in the morning asking for money and it was difficult to get her to leave. Reception wouldn´t show me a map so I could see where I was. I was required to pay on arrival for the 2 nights I was staying. They didn´t give me a receipt. It all seemed wrong to me so I went to the Hotel Ambala the next day and asked what was going on. They were not closed and knew nothing of the driver taking me to Avenida Dorado. I went back to the Avenida Dorado and got my things having stayed 1 night. They would not refund me the 2nd night and tried to claim I had been given a better rate by booking 2 nights and 1 night alone is more expensive anyway. On saying I would report them to the police they offered me a free 1 night stay in the future (!) but still no refund.
Be wary of anyone trying to take you to this hotel and saying the hotel you booked is closed. The driver´s name was Alex (Alexander Vargas) - dressed smartly, friendly, English speaking. Don´t trust him. He had a sign with my name on so I thought he was connected to the Hotel Ambala where I had a reservation. They haven´t heard of him. I don´t know how he got my name but this is clearly a scam operating with this hotel. Be warned.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo