“Very honest and well located”
Review of Hotel Retiro 84

Hotel Retiro 84
Ranked #160 of 269 Hotels in Bogota
Reviewed December 2, 2012

My husband and I spent 4 nights at the hotel. It's very well located, try close to the T zone. To go to Candelaria it takes 30 minutes by public transportation (Transmillenium).

The staff is friendly. He guy in the reception offered to go with me to a drugstore, because my husband was a bit sick.

The room is really comfortable and the breakfast is good. We were on the 4th floor, and the wifi was slow. But we really weren't worried about internet.

The only problem is that they did not pick us up at the airport, as we had asked and schedule. So, it's better to take a taxi. It costs 30mil (+ or -).

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Andres L, Online Marketing Director at Hotel Retiro 84, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2012

Hi,

First of all, we hope your husband is ok already. We are glad to help our guests in all their needs.

We are glad you liked our hotel, breakfast and location. About the internet we solved that problem already so, we have good wifi connection in all our floors, sorry about the inconvenience.

About the pick up airport, as we explained you. Your flight had 4 hours delay and then the airport was closed, we tried to contact you but we coul not reach you. Anyway way we are looking forward to have you here again and enjoy our hotel.

Sincerely
Andres Lesmes
Online Marketing Director

Reviewed October 23, 2011

The hotel is very well located in the Zona Rosa and verything is close to it. My room was ok for a 3 stars and not for a 4. Service is nice, polite and helpful but unfortunately almost all of them don't speak English which is weird for a 4 stars very well paid for Colombia.
I booked the hotel via Internet, but once arrived my booking was not registered (luckily they had an available room).

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank mibbe
Reviewed September 28, 2011

This small hotel is in an excellent location, near banks, restaurants, and probably the best shopping area in the city. I booked it based on the reviews I read on TripAdvisor.

I arrived at the hotel at about 11 p.m. from an international flight requiring to make an urgent phone call to a relative waiting to know of my arrival. When I checked in, the receptionist told me I had been assigned a suite. There was a living room and a bedroom showing both signs of not having been cleaned properly.

After several attempts to make the phone call, the phone in the room did not seem to work. I went down to the reception and reported the situation but was told that there was no problem with the line. The following morning I tried to call again but could not get through. Calls did not came in either although I had advised my relatives ahead of time of the phone number of the hotel I was going to stay at. When I went down in the morning, again I said to the receptionist that the most needed phone did not seem to work. The receptionist lent me another phone that did not work well either. Due to my urgent need to let relatives know I had arrived, ended up using the kitchen phone, the only one that seemed to work for me. Four people told me they had called early that morning and were told that I has arrived but did not answer my phone. All four people left messages but I was told of one caller only who had called repeatedly. I told the receptionist that I needed a phone in good working conditions in my room by the time I came back that night, and that I expected the room to be cleaned properly. When I came back late at night the debris on the floor of the rooms had been cleared out but the phone still did not work. They had done nothing about it all day. The night receptionist, the same one who had checked me in 24 hours earlier, came up at midnight with another phone to replace the bad one and he found out at that moment the problem was with the line, not the phone –the line was dead. The next morning, again, those desperately wanting to talk to me were told that I did not answer the phone – not that the line in the room did not work! Again, I was not given any of the messages the callers left for me that morning, or the late night message left by a relative with the receptionist, asking me to call back immediately.

The receptionists I encountered were totally unconcerned with my needs and there was no one else to talk to about the problem. The only staff member that seemed interested in providing good service was the kind waiter in the dining/bar area. I received no apology from anyone for the lack of a telephone, something so vital for an older woman travelling alone. The two nights I spent at this hotel made me feel most unsecured and will not stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank CocoTravels38
Reviewed September 22, 2010

i travel to bogota for business a few times of year and normally stay at the grand house hotel, which i love, but they were out of standard rooms (i.e. the "cheaper" ones i can afford on my hotel budget) during my travel dates. after reading the reviews online, i decided to stay at the retiro84.

the location is excellent; a quick walk will take you to the zona t, zona rosa, andino shopping center, decent supermarket (cafam), meaning there is plenty to eat and do. however close you are to the heart of bogota, the rooms were quiet and serene since the hotel is on a more residential block. the bed is comfy with lots of pillows and the bathroom is well appointed; i went with the "sencillo" so there was only a shower, but it had great water pressure and spotlessly clean, with modern fixtures/design. the hotel also had nice toiletries made with passion fruit. i'm a big stickler on bathrooms and this definitely passed the test.

since i arrived fairly late and was awake since 4am local time, i decided to try out the hotel's room service. colombian food is delicious and the hotel prepares it well, especially the empanadas. so well, i had some more the next evening since i had to be up early the next day, was feeling lazy and everything was so tasty the night before. the prices are reasonable and there are a good number of fruit juices, including guanábana (mmmm).

my only complaint would be that i had requested a taxi for my early morning flight but wound up with two youth taking me to the airport in a rickety car. normally as long as it is safe and a fair price i would have no problem with this setup, but they charged me 30k pesos (the cost from the airport was just under 20k and i've normally paid less on my return trip). i think they wanted to split the money (so therefore each charge the more normal fare). in my pre-coffee stupor i tried arguing but gave up when i remembered i still didn't have my luggage out of the trunk and i wasn't footing the bill. unfortunately the experience left a bad taste in my mouth to an overall pleasant stay. my recommendation is that the hotel should use/call a taxi for these requests, not allow someone's children to make an airport run in a less than professional car.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank amyh12382
Reviewed April 5, 2010

Near the Andino shopping district, great rooms and breakfast...

Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank djtwotimes
Reviewed December 3, 2009

At calle 84. Verry clean and nice hotel if you are going to the financial district of Bogota.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank GuilleMedCa
Reviewed September 6, 2009

This is a great small hotel with large rooms that are billed as suites (separate bedroom and sitting room), good bathrooms, nice furnishings, internet access, minibars etc. The small restaurant is great for late arrivals and breakfast. Location is close to everything in Zona Rosa and a very safe, convenient location. Good and welcoming service, a bit of Spanish helps. Would stay here again and keep away from the big hotels in this city that are not in as good locations, poor value for money, and not good service in my experience.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business