“Felt like home”
Review of Alegria's Hostel

Alegria's Hostel
Ranked #82 of 311 Specialty Lodging in Bogota
Reviewed January 14, 2014

I stayed for a week on the dorm with 9 other beds and I felt really confortable. The blankets are simply great, really hot showers and all the hostel is cleaned up all the time. Great staff as well!!!

Reviewed January 3, 2014

My first stay at this hostel was very disappointing, because the private room I had booked and which had been confirmed was not available. In fact I arrived one day later than booked due to a flight delay, but I had immediately informed the hostel both by phone and e-mail and asked them kindly to keep up my reservation.

After an exhausting journey of 34 hours the fact that they didn't have the room booked was a very bad news and the alternative to sleep in a dorm was not very appealing to me. Because I was very tired and because the girl at the reception promised me improvement for my next stay three weeks later I accepted the bed in the dorm instead of looking for a new hostel.

The dorm was very small and bad smelling because of humidity and I didn't feel at my ease.
The next day when I checked out I encountered some difficulties, because the receptionist initially didn't want to take into account the prepayment I had done for the private room, but only did so after some discussion.

So, I was supposed to stay in this hostel three weeks later and I decided to give them a second chance, but it didn't come so far. As soon as I arrived at the hostel I was informed by the night clerk that there was no room for me. I was quite irritated about this statement and just shortly after Alegria, the owner, appeared starting insulting, screaming and attacking me verbally. She accused me of not having paid the bill after my first stay and how I had dared to write a bad review about her hostel. Further she told me she didn't want to see my face in her hostel and she literally threw me out of the hostal. A businesslike and constructive dialogue was not possible with her since she didn't let me speak.

Being myself a tourism professional I was really shocked about such a behaviour towards a guest. Instead of analizing what went wrong the first time and see it as a chance of improvement, she acted like wanting revenge. A behaviour that in my opinion has nothing to do with a professional attitude.

It's really sad, because the hostal had been recommended to me by some friends.

2  Thank Capunsli
Reviewed December 13, 2013

We felt more than a little duped by some of the reviews of Alegria's in the Candelaria district of Bogota (an amazing city!), which said that this hostel was charming and beautiful, with a hands-on owner who could show you around the area. And it is indeed a beautifully decorated pension style building - almost like an Alpine cottage in appearance - but it's TINY. I mean, really small - you have to squeeze through really narrow doors and clamber up an Alice in Wonderland spiral staircase to reach the upstairs bedrooms. The kitchen / lounge area downstairs is similarly cosy, allowing max six people to cook / dine / chill at one time. This would be fine if it only offered three private rooms or so, but it also contains a huge 10 bunk dorm upstairs and another 4 bunk dorm downstairs, plus double bedrooms. There's literally nowhere to move some nights. The beds in the dorm were incredibly uncomfortable: instead of buying half decent mattresses they piled really cheap ones on top of each other, with the result that they kept moving around, all the bedsheets kept falling off and you were on a constant slope - I nearly slid out of the bunks altogether at one point. The bathroom bin didn't get changed for days - never a nice experience in this part of the world - so we had to ask someone to do it. The showers though were hot and powerful. Finally, in terms of the owner being around to signpost us to cool places to go out, it's not like we needed anyone to hold our hands, but we didn't see her the whole time we we there. There was a board in reception listing some good places to go for an affordable night, but when we were there there wasn't much of a sociable atmosphere and certainly no sign of arranged nights out, so if you're looking for that sort of place you might want to check out Musicology or another party hostel in the area. We checked out after a couple of nights' terrible sleep, and found much better value dorms at Bella Vista down the road.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 11, 2013

I stayed for 2 nights at Alegria and really enjoyed the stay. I particularly appreciated the staff taking the time to give me some itineraries and suggestions over a coffee when we arrived, It was very easy to walk to many local restaurants, being only a few blocks from central Bogotà and the 24 hour manned desk meant that you didn't have to worry about taking keys with you which was great and very friendly staff welcoming you back every time. Bogotà was very cold!!!

1  Thank alex S
Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

It is a very cute hostel and very welcoming. Staff are really nice and makes you feel welcome and helps u out in everything you ask for.
Rooms are clean and even the shared bathrooms are very well kept.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Amazingly nice owner, made us feel right at home and was incredibly helpful in getting around Bogota and finding the great spots and hang-outs. Our private rooms were clean and the employees were always friendly with juice, coffee, croissants and fresh fruit every morning! I'll definitely return.

Room Tip: The private upstairs, overlooking the garden is super nice.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 16, 2013

After a year and a half of traveling and staying in hostels I feel knowledgable enough to say this is a superior hostel. Right from the beginning the staff will make you feel like your at home and apart of the family. Set in la candelaria the location is excellent and has some of the best views of the city. The rooms are clean and not over crowded. They also provided activities throughout the week that keep you entertained and it's a great way to socialize with the other people. The hostel not only made me feel like part of the family but provided excellent info on bogota and Colombia and went far out of their way to make sure I had one of the best stays and experiences of my life. I feel lucky to have spent the time I did there and would recommend it to anyone and everyone looking to stay on bogota.

• Stayed: November 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bogota
Eco-Hotel El Hamaquero
La Candelaria
Iku Hostel Backpackers Bogota
Golden Frog Hostel
#5 of 16 in Isla Grande

Been to Alegria's Hostel? Share your experiences!