“Yes, we went because of Anthony” 5 of 5 bubbles

La Puerta Falsa
Ranked #21 of 2,251 Restaurants in Bogota
Cuisines: Latin, Colombian
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Orlando, Florida
“Yes, we went because of Anthony”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

But the food was amazing on its on. Our group split several of the dishes including the tamales, traditional soup and chocolate soup, everything was amazing and so well priced. I'd seek this restaurant out in a heart beat.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank luvstotravel321

• Turkish first
Boulder, Colorado
“Simple and absolutely delicious!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

OMG - this was amazing. We stopped in for lunch after reading a review (and our hotel front desk agreed it was great). It is a super tiny place - a little hard to find but once on the street, just ask! it is a known wonder! We sat upstairs and ordered the traditional chicken soup and chicken tamales (they make 500 every 2 days !). The portions were huge so we ordered 4 things for 5 people (kids are 16, 12, 9) - we ate it all! Kids loved it too!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank tnudel
Chicago, Illinois
“Comfort Food Stop.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

This place is old-school and well visited. It likes up to it's reputation. Lovely casual spot for a simple local meal. The servings are huge so you might want to share. Great service even with all the tourists passing thru.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Roam-and-Home
Cincinnati, Ohio
“A classic in Bogotá”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

La Puerta Falsa must be a throw back to another time. Here you will not find designer cuisine, a trendy setting, and beautiful people congratulating themselves for being able to dine so well. Instead, La Puerta Falsa is a small upstairs room with low tables and chairs pushed close together and a narrow counter running against a mirrored wall downstairs. A wood paneled case displays the variety of tamales, cheese, drinks, and pastries on the short menu.

I walked by La Puerta Falsa just before noon on a Sunday. The plaza and walks in the area were bustling with local residents enjoying a pleasant day. The restaurant was virtually packed with Sunday diners, but I squeezed into a space along the counter. A server quickly helped me order a tamal and a cup of traditional chocolate. In retrospect, the savory tamal and sweet chocolate weren't the best pair, but I was just following local practice. The tamal was served wrapped in banana leaf, which I peeled away to reveal a steaming mass of corn meal, meat, and vegetables. The generous portion was a satisfying lunch. I also enjoyed the cup of chocolate, even though the flavor did not blend well with the tamal, because it was unlike typical hot chocolate both from the US and Spain. Despite the rush of Sunday diners, the servers did not make me feel rushed, and there was time to enjoy the meal and atmosphere.

It's worth pointing out that I appeared to be the only non-Colombian in the restaurant at the time. After spending the day visiting other attractions in this part of Bogotá, I had no concerns about security.

The check totaled about 16,000 Colombian pesos, and I left satisfied with the meal, the price, and the authentic location.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank David K
Hamilton Parish, Bermuda
“Nice little place, medium food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

Not sure what I expected, but I was disappointed by this place. The room is nice and cosy, but the food was not what I had hoped for. The hot chocolate was made with water rather than milk, and my husband's agua panela was so sweet that it was impossible to drink even half of it. The butter(or rather margarine) that came with the bread was completely liquid and unusable. We haven't tried any of the other food items, so the rating may not be fair, but this was our impression.

Visited September 2013