“Excellent Experience - Great Staff”
Review of Hotel Casa Paulina

Hotel Casa Paulina
Ranked #131 of 266 Hotels in Bogota
Los Angeles
“Excellent Experience - Great Staff”
Reviewed September 25, 2011

While researching hotels for a spontaneous trip to Colombia, safety was my top priority. The staff at Casa Paulina could not have been better, and I felt completely secure while staying here for five days.

Located in Chappanero District, near Universities and central to many attractions, this hotel is great for single/younger travelers but would not recommend for American families. Some areas around the hotel are a little sketchy, but I came to see the city and really experience Bogota, not hide in touristy enclaves.

Staff as mentioned was excellent. Clean and Comfortable.

Would highly recommend Casa Paulina, they will take great care of you.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank SanMoMale

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Calgary
Reviewed September 7, 2011

We stayed at Casa Paulina for 6 days in September and were very happy with our choice of hotels. There are many restaurants - both local and more upscale within walking distance of the hotel, including Mini Mal(one of the best restaurants on tripadvisor) which is only a 20 minute walk. There is a grocery store a block away and many bakeries within 2 blocks. Though breakfast was not included there were many small places nearby offering local food as well as a nice coffee shop. Every floor has a small kitchen and the hotel provides cooking utensils on demand. This was a nice plus. All rooms have a small refrigerator to store food.
The cleanliness was incredible. The staff worked very hard to clean the rooms and the wood floors were immaculate. Coffee and tea in the lobby were a big plus.
The staff at reception were very helpful with directions, information, safe walking routes. We had Don Jorge pick us up at the airport and used his expertise to plan our tours with him.
Overall it was a great experience. For the price I do not think you can do better. If you ask for a room on the upper floors back of the hotel you will sleep very well. It was nice and quiet! WIfi was available free of charge in every room and worked very well.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank southern_stingray
Galashiels, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 6, 2011

This hotel is not situated in the centre of the city but the transmilenio is only a short walk away. Restaurants and bars etc are a taxi ride or bus into town.
The hotel room was very clean and the shower was perfect.Breakfast is not available and whatever you do dont go to the cafe 30metres up the street, it is dirty and I could not eat there.
Staff at the hotel were very pleasant but there is no facility to pay by credit or debit card.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
5 Thank a7galashiels
Reviewed July 11, 2011

We stayed at Hotel Casa Paulina for 7 nights, and give it high marks for cleanliness, friendliness and safety. The price is fair and the room has a fridge and TV. There is plenty of hot water and nice towels. The sheets are changed every day and the room and hotel are spotless. There is a small kitchen available to cook a quick meal or reheat leftovers. Internet and phone calls to the states were free. There is some street noise in the morning, but it didn’t bother us because we were up and out in the city early each day. We utilized the service offered on their website for transportation from the airport and were picked up by Jorge as we left the gate. He is a friendly and knowledgeable guide that we later contracted for a day long tour of the cities surrounding Bogota. I highly recommend him if you are interested in a city tour or an excursion to the attractions and cities surrounding Bogota. There are supermarkets within a block and many restaurants, bakeries and coffee shops with in easy walking distance. Taxis are reasonable and safe. Enjoy your trip!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
Reviewed June 19, 2011

A cheap & comfortable hotel in the middle of Bogota, Colombia. The staff is friendly and the owners go out of their way to help. The owner will arrange airport pickup & return as well as some tours of the city and environs. Well worth the cost.

Room Tip: Take a room in the back of hotel, less noise
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Willemstad, Curacao
Reviewed June 12, 2011

First of all, I loved the staff of this hotel.
I actually went to Colombia for surgery, and the staff was very helpful with providing information of restaurants that could deliver to my room while I was recuperating.
Any other questions I had for anything I needed they were glad to provide.
They made me feel very comfortable and did not judge me for my surgery.

I stayed in one of the smaller one person rooms, on the first floor, a few steps away from the front desk.
It's just a quaint little room with a nice big bed, small tv (with plenty of American channels to watch), free Wi-Fi internet which worked very well (bring your laptop!), a small fridge which came in VERY handy to store my fruits and stuff I bought at a supermarket nearby, and a nice small bathroom with a shower.

The location is good too.
It's literally on the same street as supermarkets, shops, restaurants, pharmacies, basically anything you need.
This is the more quaint side of town, not the most "up-scale' side, but it was very far from a "ghetto" or anything like that.
I felt very safe walking around, It's on a very busy and lively street, with a lot of the local youth/students walking around and families.
And the hotel even has high gates around it with a security door...even though in my opinion they don't really need it, as it's a pretty safe neighborhood.

I paid about $30 a night, and for what I got, I was very satisfied.
So if you want first-class luxury and 5 star room service meals, then you should probably find another hotel.
But for travelers who like a good deal and a comfortable and enjoyable accommodation, I highly recommend this hotel!

P.S.
To be honest I'm not sure if they provide room-service meals at this hotel, but I did not get that impression, however inside and on top of the fridge in your room, they have snacks and drinks which you can pay for individually, like a mini-bar, and housekeeping will restock anything you take each day as they make sure to clean the room every day.
(While I was in my room recuperating, I often just left the "do not disturb" sign flipped on my door, but they still knocked every day to make sure I was okay or if I needed anything).
But you can get the snacks cheaper at stores in the same street, so I recommend you buy any snacks outside the hotel, and just store them in the fridge.

I don't really have any complaints, but I will note that if you need absolute peace and quiet, you may want to take one of the larger rooms on the second floor.
Like I said, I was in a small room on the first floor, which is right by the front desk, so I often could hear lots of talking...but it did not bother me.
And also my room was right beside the laundry room, so I could hear the washers and dryers being used and people walking in and outside of it.
But I REPEAT, this ONLY applies to my room I think, as it's the smaller 1 person room right by the front desk. I think all the other rooms, especially on the second floor, must be completely noise free.
And it did not bother me, as I liked hearing guests talking in different languages (i.e. I heard Americans, Canadians, Australians, Europeans) outside and laughing with the staff, it made me feel more at ease during my recovery.
In any case it's much better than a hotel where you hear drunk people yelling outside and gunshots or whatever, hah.

Room Tip: I suggest the rooms on the second floor and above.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank mockingthemadness
Reviewed May 3, 2011

This hotel its really good for the Price, the only things i didnt like was the bathroom and the noise at the 3rd floor... The location its not bad but not great, its really good for a limited budget, but if u can go to chorro de quevedo, its so much better if u can write or talk to the owner or staff and ask the Price some times is lower than the one publicated!! Ive been at this two and i will pay a little bit more for a better bathroom, a delicious breakfast included and a nicer room!! ;)

• Stayed April 2011