Chacaltaya Ski Resort
Ranked #15 of 119 things to do in La Paz
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I did a day trip to chacaltaya and valle de la luna. The views were fantastic from the top of the steep walk up. However for every 10 steps i had to rest for 10 seconds to get my breath. You can see Huayna Potosi so clearly from here.
Be careful visiting if not acclimatized as its over 5000m and the air is so thin up there.

1  Thank Superhuey

Reviewed June 17, 2012

Scary ride up to the lodge but the hike the rest of the way to the top was spectacular. Probably the highlight of my trip. Great views, I had no issues with altitude but I'm pretty fit. Others on the trip had problems. It's about a 1/2 day trip. Most tour companies will throw in the Moon Valley tour... that was lame.

2  Thank MoCattyG
Reviewed June 13, 2012

I took a day tour from La Paz and visited Moon Valley and Chacaltaya. Note there isn't skiing here any more! But the drive through the upper areas of La Paz was fascinating, then the scenery got better and better and we reached the mountain area. We were driven to 5300m and then walked slowly up a track to 5600m to enjoy the fantastic views. Amazing.

2  Thank dd338
Reviewed April 30, 2012

The Chacaltaya Ski Resort is a somewhat strange but beautiful spot in the sparse mountains near La Paz. Most tour agencies offer the half-day-trip to the abandoned Ski Resort combined with a trip to La Paz' Moon Valley, another strange but interesting place. However, as the Moon Valley, it definitively is not a must, only if you're not doing any hiking in the cordillera real at all. Not much to do up there, just a 100 meter hike up to the peak (some agencies offer also downhill biking, looks rough though).

The mountains around it and the old ski ressort guarantee some nice views and photos.

1  Thank cymande
Reviewed April 10, 2012

Chacaltaya is a very beautiful mountain but take care if you want to get in the top. My guide didn't walk together with us and we got lost. So, we took a wrong way and we almost fell down from the mountain. Can you imagine this? So, the place is wonderful but doesn't have any estructure for receiving people with no experience in snow mountains.

1  Thank lursmattos