“Top score & great value, but they had an issue with the WiFi when we where there”
Review of Arthy's Guesthouse

Arthy's Guesthouse
Ranked #9 of 82 Specialty Lodging in La Paz
Reviewed November 4, 2012

So this place is tops and you can get a double room cheaper here than at a dodgy hostel.

It is just about as close to the bus station as you would want to be without it being dodgy.

The rooms are clean as are the shared bathrooms and showers.

The family that runs the place are all very nice and speak good English (some excellent and some OK).

If you want a simple Bolivia breakfast (toast, jam, butter, warm drink) you order it the night before (10 B's) and then show up and at the time arranged and out it comes on a tray nice and hot.

They have a great TV / social room and the TV is hooked up to the expensive channels.

The WiFi was having issues when we were there. It would mysteriously stop working... which would mean you would have to walk down to reception and ask them to reset the WiFi box. Sometimes this was needed every 3 minutes and other times not needed at all. I think they will fix it soon as they knew it was not the way it should be.

About half the rooms have windows into only the inner courtyard, so if you want a brighter room ask for one with windows facing outside (though these may be a bit more noisy).

I would strongly recommend this place to a friend.

Oh, 1 more thing!!! they have a midnight (12:00) curfew where they lock the door below... so this may be a deal breaker for some... not for us, we like our sleep and got good sleep here.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank davidpope

Reviewed October 30, 2012

I crashed here for a night before my bus to Cochabamba. It is conveniently located near the bus station and walking distance to some of the touristy streets. The room was very simple with just two beds and some furniture-- bathrooms are shared. The wireless internet was in and out, but they were really nice about resetting it once I asked. Also, the water pressure is pretty light and there's not much hot water. Definitely very clean and well-kept.
They also serve breakfast for 10 bs, but I didn't have time to eat since I had to go to the bus station.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Pros:
As a hostal, this place offers very clean rooms and bathrooms. 4 blocks from the popular Sarganaga st. On a busy road but the room wasn't noisy.

Cons:
This affordable hostal is recommended if it's not too cold as hot water is electric so it's only just warm but not warm enough for me to wash my hair. We were here in aery August so it's cold at night the blankets weren't quite warm enough so we used our sleeping bags on top.
No wifi. We don't mind paying if they want to charge a fee per day but that's not even an option. However they do have computers downstairs charged per hourly rate.
Unisex bathroom with no space outside the shower to change clothes.
Midnight curfew, which isn't normally a problem for us but we happened to want to see a movie at Multicine and the 2D Digital Eng Subtitle version of badman movie finishes after midnight and all earlier versions where in Spanish.

I gave this place 3 stars simply because it lacks the modern facilities other hostels have embraced.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 17, 2012

I stayed here in May 2012, on 2 different occasions for a total of 7 nights and it was perfect for me. Close to everything in the city center...walking distance to bus terminal, Plaza Murillo, Plaza San Francisco.

Staff at Arthy's are friendly and helpful. The building is located on a busy street, you ring the bell to get in thru the secure entrance. As soon as you walk in it feels like a little oasis. Plants, nice tile floor, great natural lighting. Best prices for internet and water, snacks. Rooms were clean, beds were very good with nice comforters and blankets to stay cozy at night. I stayed in 2 different rooms since I stayed 2 different times.

I would stay here again if I go back to La Paz. They have a midnight curfew and I think that's great. Also it was a nice quiet place at night and all the guests seemed calm and mature thankfully. :)

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank MoCattyG
Reviewed October 11, 2011

Arthy's was great! Cleanest place I've seen so far in south America. A little hard to find. It's marked wrong in the lonely planet guide. It's on the left hand side on av. Montes before the street splits. Friendly staff, comfortable rooms, great communial space looking over La Paz. Loved this place! Short (uphill) walk to the tourist district.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank PezAndMel
Reviewed September 28, 2011

The Arthy's Guesthouse is really great.
It is near the Bus terminal and so you can walk there when you arrive.
The Hostel is very clean and the owner and the staff speaks english and is very friendly and helpful.
The only disadvantage may be that if you have a room on one of the upper floors you have to go down the stairs to get to the bathrooms (especially at night it can be a little annoying.
But nothing really bad!
Even if the hostel is directly at one of the most crowded streets it is not loud within the rooms or the hostel!
The kitchen is well equipped and clean as well!
For sure it is a little more expensive than other hostels but the money worth!
We payed 90 Bolivianos each in a double bed room.
So when you want comfort and friendly staff it's the right place to stay!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank InWe26
Reviewed August 2, 2011

I stayed at Arthy's after a really tough mountain climb and really really enjoyed the privacy and hot water in the shower and the supercomfortable bed. I was very tired so I didn't really mind the fact that there was no window in my room but I can easily imagine how that might be a problem :)

The staff were extremely helpful, I loved the common room and the proximity to the bus station (half of the time it's uphill everywhere in La Paz)

I absolutely adored the homely feeling of this guesthouse.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo