TripAdvisor
La Paz
Post
Inbox
Search

“Authentic Bolivian food, made tourist-friendly”

Luciernagas Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 621 Restaurants in La Paz
Cuisines: South American
Description: We serve Bolivian dishes in genuine homecooked Bolivian fashion. Simple, but fresh, delicious and served in a warm, welcoming and homely environment.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

This restaurant is a must-do whenever in La Paz. You can experience delicious traditional Bolivian food, in a cosy living room atmosphere. All dishes are being clearly explained on the menu and by the owner.

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (310)

Reviewed August 28, 2019

The owner was very friendly and knowledgeable about the local Bolivia cuisine. The food was excellent and the portions were enourmous. Definitely a place to eat when in La Paz.

Date of visit: August 2019
Reviewed August 9, 2019

We ate lunch here yesterday, surrounded by Bolivians which I take as a good sign. Soup, main and desert, big portions for only 5 USD. It all tasted great, my partner had peanut soup and I tried their (roast peanut and banana) lojro yungueno variety, then plato paceno for her and sajta, chicken in yellow pepper sauce for me. It´s good to try the flavours of a country you´re visiting and we were definitely impressed with the flavours of Bolivia! Highly recommended.

Date of visit: August 2019
Reviewed June 9, 2019 via mobile

We ate the picante surtido we recommend this place. The staff is also super nice and fast. The host explained everything and even recommended to order less because we wanted to try two things (this we are experiencing for the first time). How often do you meet a host that's this honest. He really surprised us with his honesty. If the restaurant is not too busy then chat with him he's a interesting guy.

Date of visit: June 2019
Reviewed June 8, 2019

Its a little bit out of the city, but in walking distance. It has cold beer, a big plus. It also has a gas heater, another big plus. The menu is extensive; so great for visitors wanting to try typical Bolivian food. It also has fantastic llajua (pronounced jacwa). This is a sauce made from tomatoes and chillies, and can be very hot, so be careful with your first taste. But this restaurant adds a Bolivian herb to its llajua that makes it super delicious. I ate a pique a la macho, a very typical Bolivian dish. Its a bit like a salad in that its a mixture of lots of things; meat, sausage, potato, onion, locotos (the Bolivian chilli in the llajua) and a sauce often made from beer. I thought my pique was great but my Bolivian friends didn't think it was up to scratch. Piques vary a lot in Bolivia, so there are regional differences. But I thought my pique was great. One of my companions had milenesa de pollo, a breaded, flattened chicken breast. This was delicious. The owner gave good service. Highly recommended.

Date of visit: June 2019
PeterHabraken, Propietario at Luciernagas Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2019

Hola John,
Thank you for your visit and for taking time and effort to leave us a review here. You are spot on of course, there's almost as many ways to prepare a pique a lo macho as there are Bolivians, and Bolivians being very passionate about their food, I'm sure your friends prefer another style than the one we do (ours is sort of Cochabamba style, with the tomatoes, paprika peppers and onions raw, not cooked). We're very happy to read you liked your pique so much though. We hope to see you back soon!
Kind regards, take care.