“Party hostel with disgusting toilets”

Muzungu B&B Backpacker Hostel
Ranked #16 of 74 Specialty Lodging in La Paz
London, United Kingdom
“Party hostel with disgusting toilets”
Reviewed April 13, 2014

I really do not know why this place is rated as the 6th best place in La Paz.

Good: Low price for a double room, quite well located, friendly staff.

Bad (which much outweighs the good) : The whole hostel of many many rooms share 4 toilets and 4 showers. They were only cleaned once a day after most people had showered in the morning. Every day 3 of the 4 toilets were blocked up with poo and toilet roll, so you had to go to the next floor, and all of the bins were overflowing with dirty toilet tissue. There was always a queue for the shower, which alternates between freezing cold and boiling hot every few seconds.
The hostel is located on a busy road next to a cross roads and the rooms have windows as outer walls, so it is noisy all the time. The room had the ambience of a prison cell and the bed was hard and sagging in the middle. We went to take our free drink in the bar, which tasted really weak, but the guy working in the bar was playing the most terrible dance music I have ever heard really loudly to the empty bar, which made us leave because we couldnt bear it any longer.
The place was full of huge groups of young Israelis, who stayed up late partying and smoking in the rooms almost every night. The staff did nothing to stop it. There was no communal atmosphere, we felt outsiders to a big party.

I would never stay here again. they need to build more toilets and showers, clean them more often, and perhaps write the signs that say "no toilet paper in the toilet" in more languages, or print it giant size, as nobody seems to listen.

If you are Israeli, like to party every night and dont care much for hygenic bathrooms, you might like it here. If not, avoid. There are much better options in La Paz.

Room Tip: in another hostel
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank sweetpsychosis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Hebrew first
Oahu, Hawaii
Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

I'm not sure why this place has such a high rating. First off be careful booking through Despegar as they apparently only charged me for one person even though I selected the option for 2 people?? upon arrival we were charged more for a second person and said it was our fault for not clicking pay twice even though it showed 2 people on our receipt?? Because we had already paid into a booking we were stuck.

We got into our 3 bed dorm room and were greeted by a friendly traveler on her way out to another hostel because she was disgusted with the cleanliness of the bathrooms & showers.

Great first impressions!

Something they don't tell you as you check in, that is really nice to know before you use the shared bathroom is that they DO NOT provide toilet paper, however, you can purchase it at the front desk. Seriously, what hotel/hostel in a city doesn't provide toilet paper!?!

The beds are bowing in the middle and the pillows are lumpy & smell and the breakfast is a joke.

It was a totally let down from what appeared to be a good place from the reviews on here. My advise, don't book in advance, come by and see the place first and you be the judge.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these La Paz hotels

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Hostel is clean, cheap, in an awesome location and has a great bar (with 1 free drink) upstairs. Free breakfast is basic but an amazing view of la paz. There is a very good and cheap restaurant downstairs.

There are only 2 negatives; the wifi is terrible and there is a social buzz lacking. We stayed for almost 2 weeks and it never felt that fun or exciting there.

Would definitely recommend it

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed February 9, 2014

We stayed for some days here, here are the pro´s and con´s!

Pro
- cheap, 100 Bob for a matrimonial with bathroom
- really warm water all day long
- nice people all around
- everyting looked-felt clean
- good location at calle Llampu
- cup of coffee or tea for free each night upstairs.
- good vibe

Con
- weird breakfast - they put up a sign sth like ´only eat the humanely amount of bread per day, meaning one or two´ when we were there and they gave us one bread instead of two from that day. everything extra costs extra. we had a good laugh about it, everything was meagerly measured out. wouldn´t mind paying more for the room to have a more relaxed breakfast. but it i s included!
- luggage storage cost extra per day
- no laundry service
- no book exchange

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Margotybas
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I have stayed for about a week I think, but broken up by trips. We had a double room with bathroom for b100- includes breakfast, 1free drink a night and excellent wifi in room even.

The hostel corridors and reception are covered with cameras and there seems to be a security guard on the door all day and night which is very reassuring.

They did have a laundry service for b10/kg until I got ripped off by the company they used... I weighed my stuff myself, 4kg, and gave it to reception it came back nice and clean but a bill for 6kg... Im not bothered about b20 but it was just the dishonesty. They told me to go see the laundry shop myself which I did... the guy got aggressive and told me I was wrong he wouldnt weigh it and threw my clean laundry on the floor and said ok pay b50.
I paid the girls on reception at the hostel b50 but I wasnt impressed.
5mins later the young girl came to my room and gave me the b10 and said they were sorry. This was a great demonstration of honesty and customer service that you don't usually get in south America. I hope I didnt upset them but also hope they aren't getting ripped off on a regular basis and having another shoddy business dragging their name down.

All in all Muzungu seems to be an up and coming great hostel. Its got good honest staff, a secure retreat from crazy La Paz, great Internet, nice area to sit up top and a great central location.

Only complaints I have are-
Not so keen on the wrist band guest id tags but I suppose they know who is a guest and who isnt.
The amount of jam, butter and yogurt served with breakfast are measured out exactly and are not quite enough to wet the cereal and spread on the toast. Just charge b5 more per bed if its that tight- breakfast will be so much more enjoyable.

Great idea with the free drink but maybe make it between say 9:00-9:30 so everyone goes for it at the same time as the bar was often empty.
The restaurant by reception does an unbelievable set menu for lunch, B20 and it was like fine dining! Totally recommend it even if not staying here.

I fully recommend this place it has everything for a great price.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
New York, NY
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Muzungu was totally sufficient. For $16 USD for the two of us, we have a private room and bathroom, with a hot shower, (meager) breakfast, a drink each night, and wifi. The room is nothing special, but we have lots of natural light during the day, which is frankly more than we expected in La Paz. There is a restaurant attached to the hostel which is a bit pricey for dinner, but quite good food. The hostel also has a common space on the top floor with a bar, pool tables, a variety of sitting areas, and (at night) really loud 80s hair metal… but some tremendous views overlooking La Paz.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank OurEpicAdventur... A
Beersheba, Israel
Reviewed November 27, 2013

I want to share here about my experience that i passed in Muzungu Hostel, ive been there about 1 month and half totally. i had great and best experience there in my trip. cool manager great stuff and all together makes it perfect ! i would like to recommended to all on that hostel. there is everything u need and in a good price - internet, great restaurant, cleanly, and most important for me is the stuff that makes u feel home. i hope everybody who will see that take my advice and go u wont regret.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends