First to rate! Cool. So, it was the only hostel on Trip Advisor that did not have any reviews. However, pictures looked like it was inexpensive, so I decided to check it out since it was 7pm and we still did not have a place to stay. It took me a while to find the right house, because there was no sign outside, but when I finally did I understood why there are no reviews - the place is just not open yet! Cesar, its manager, told me that there´s still some paperwork to be done, but anyways graciously welcomed us to the yet-to-be-opened hostel.
So, this place is great because of:
- central albeit tranquil location (3 blocks from beautiful Prado street, 5 blocks from the main square, minutes till market with fresh groceries)
- beautiful well-maintained colonial house (200 old at least) with huge ceilings high enough for horsemen
- wonderfully helpful and welcoming hosts (Cesar, the manager, and Adelina, the actual owner). Cesar is also a very interesting character, he plays drums in his heavy-metal band and can tell you lots about local alternative music scene (as well as what to do around La Paz).
- pretty spacious kitchen with plenty of utensils
- good wifi
- big comfy beds
- cozy sitting area with TV and guest computer
- super thick walls let none of the sounds come in
- very hot showers and clean bathrooms
- there´s also a sauna right around the corner where you can warm up for 25 Bs per 3 hrs.
Mind you, this is none of the gringo ghetto you are likely to get in if staying at some party hostel. This is a homey, relaxed space with somewhat conservative decor. If I understood it correctly, usual price is something around 50 Bs per person (we got a discount for being the first guests).
Backpackers, don´t miss your chance to visit the place before it´s full and crowded (official opening is sometime in January)!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We are a family hostel, we like to share with tourists from around the world, in a way, learning about other cultures and customs of other countries. We are in the heart of the city of La Paz at 3,650 meters above sea level, we have a resting place with comfortable beds, personal lockers, lounge, wifi, washing machine available, reading room, solarium and common kitchen, it is a peaceful without disturbing noises of the city, as it is a 200 year old colonial house place (recently renovated). ... more less