Open today: 9:00 AM - 12:30 PM, 2:30 PM - 6:00 PM
Review Highlights
Awesome company for tours in Bolivia!

My mom and I wanted to do the 3-night tour to the salt flats in Uyuni. It was at first difficult to... read more

Reviewed 4 days ago
Caitlin H
Charlottesville, Virginia
An adventure in Sajama National Park!

Rubén (our driver) and Marcelo (our guide) were assigned to us for this great adventure in Sajama... read more

Reviewed January 11, 2019

from $55.00
from $650.00
from $55.00
More Info
All reviews off the beaten track national park day tour salt flats city tour el alto great tour ancient burial hot springs guide sergio lake titicaca witches market uyuni trip his knowledge walking tour of la paz beautiful country safety concerns
Reviewed April 16, 2014

I found the city tour organised by Banjo Tours really interesting. They indeed take you off the beaten track while giving you all the info about the history, the legends and some other curiosity about La Paz. I found the staff very knowledgeable and professional. Their English is superb (it is quite unusual to find tours agents in Bolivia speaking English). My big thumbs up to the staff and the whole organisation

Date of experience: April 2014
Reviewed April 14, 2014

Ben was my guide for the morning. He has grown up in La Paz and gives great insight into the daily life of people living in La Paz. I got to try salteñas, visit El Alto, ride on different modes of public transport and learn about the different neighbourhoods. A great morning.

Date of experience: March 2014
Reviewed March 17, 2014

I did the one day tour around La Paz and it was fantastic! I am traveling alone and they had no problem scheduling a private tour for me at no extra cost. The guide was knowledgeable and friendly and spoke great English. Much more of an authentic view of the city than a generic tour, without intruding on any locals. The only thing was the price was a bit high compared to other tours I've done in Bolivia...but who could complain for a private guide!

Date of experience: March 2014
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I had a couple of days to kill in La Paz and wanted to see all the highlights the city had to offer. After walking around by myself for a couple hours, it was clear that I needed a guide. I tried the free walking tour and after shuffling through the city with a giant group backpackers, I wanted a better experience. I'm so glad I found it with Banjo Tours after reading all the rave reviews. (If you are debating btw the free tour and Banjo like I was....Trust me, the little extra cost is well worth it!!! Go with Banjo)

Ben was quick to return emails and my guide Sergio showed up right on time. I had a private tour at an extremely reasonable price. Sergio was WONDERFUL. As others have mentioned, it was a complete local experience. We tried the exotic fruits and local snacks, saw all the highlights and some local spots that I knew I wouldn't have had the chance to see otherwise. Sergio went above and beyond to help me. It truly felt like I was seeing the city with a friend.

If you are in La Paz, you MUST do this tour with Sergio! Thank you Sergio for a great day!

Date of experience: February 2014
1  Thank Stormcreator
Reviewed February 1, 2014

The guide books typically advise that the bus trip from LaPaz to Rurrenebaque takes something like 18-24 hours; this is because roads are about the most inefficient, boring and least spectacular way of getting out of LaPaz, off the mountains, and into the Amazon Basin. Thankfully, the guys at Banjo Tours use this to differentiate themselves from the throng of operators in LaPaz, and provide better opportunities to explore the natural and cultural highways in the Bolivian Amazon.

We have toured with many operators (at tome and abroad) that utilise boats or bikes or rafts or 4wds to get us 'into' the wilderness. But, when touring with Banjo you come to realise that you're on a bike because it is fun, or that the boat you're on is not just a means of transport, it is also shelter and part of the identity for local villagers.

Without giving away all of the juicy details - it will be far more rewarding to live the adventure that have me regale you with my own tale - the Jungle Tour will see you rolling down the WMDR, eating dinner in small towns that are not on any of the maps (at least not maps sold around Sagarnaga), rafting as a means of getting from A to B, being guided by smiling villagers, fishing, cruising in long boats, walking the rainforest, swimming in waterfall plunge-pools, loosing count of wildlife, chasing anacondas and seeing more stars than you could imagine.

The trip is also as participatory as you decide to make it. Want to race the guide on (a safe section of) the WMDR? Done (but you won't win). If you're the type that gets bored being shuffled from sight to sight on arranged tours - you can pick up a paddle, build a campfire, or help with launching a boat. Want to feel like you're on holidays? Read your book, watch the bank of the river float by, or get lost in the sounds of the jungle.

Despite some long days you will not go hungry, get thirsty or feel more uncomfortable than you would undertaking any sort of outdoor activity. While it might seem like the guides are focused on you having an awesome time, their primary concern is your welfare, and they only employ experienced, local guides that they have a good relationships with, and are trusted to deliver the tour safely. You will learn new things, you will be amazed, you will feel safe in the care of Banjo Tours, and it will be a rewarding experience.

You can catch the bus anywhere else you want in South America. Do yourself a favor and try out the natural highway. Follow the river.

Date of experience: October 2013