“amazing textiles and pottery”

National Museum of Ethnography and Folklore
Private Tour: La Paz City Sightseeing and Moon Valley
Ranked #13 of 116 things to do in La Paz
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The highlight of this museum is the 3000 Years of Textiles exhibit, a display of brilliantly colored skirts, blankets and ponchos used by women to carry their children – each one a piece of artwork in itself.
Groton, Connecticut
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“amazing textiles and pottery”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I was most impressed by the textile portion of this museum. My wife and I spent about 3 hours in this museum. We are not big textile people but we really enjoyed reading about the different designs and spent a long time looking at the drawers of different textiles in the first room. We were not that thrilled by the mask exhibit but spent a long time in the pottery section. We both speak Spanish so the lack of English information was not an issue but as of July the museum had no English captioning. If you want to take pictures you pay an extra fee. There were some really impressive pottery pieces and a very nice breakdown of the different cultures that produced it, as well as the process of making pottery.

Visited July 2013

• Korean first
Vancouver
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Nice Museum; No English Captioning”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

This a very nice museum with a small collection of interesting textiles, pottery, feather arts, and masks. If you like these sorts of things, then you will enjoy this museum. Like most visitors, the mask exhibit was my favourite part. I did think that the price of 20 Bs was a little steep considering the small collection of artifacts, but that still didn't detract from my enjoyment of the museum. There is an additional charge if you want to take pictures (I believe it is another 20 or 25 Bs). The museum closes for lunch at 12:30 pm. A security guard followed us around and then told us to leave and then followed us out, to make sure he could close up shop for lunch! If you don't understand Spanish, please be warned that there is no English-captioning anywhere in this museum.

Berkeley, California
“Amazing Museum”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

This is a must see museum. We showed up 30 minutes before closing and therefore had to visit each room quickly, but I will definitely go back next time in La Paz. Their is an artfully lit Mask hall with an amazing selection of traditional masks from all Bolivian cultures. The textiles, feather headdresses and ceramics rooms were also great, but what I would love to have had more time for is the circular spiral "history of Bolivia" hall. Unlike many museums in South America, this one is full of well-written descriptions of every item (Spanish only), which greatly enhance the experience. Top notch!

Visited July 2013
Buenos Aires, Argentina
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 86 helpful votes
“My favorite museum in the city”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Excellent collection of various subjects related to the folklore and history of the local population, particularly the indigenous cultures. There are both permanent and temporary exhibits, so there's always something to fascinate.

Toronto, Canada
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 211 helpful votes
“Small but worth the money”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

On Sundays the museum closes at 12:30 which I didn't know when I bought my ticket at 12:10. (20 bob). The ticket agent asked if I wanted to buy the 2nd ticket so I could take photos. I told her I would look first and come back and get the ticket if I thought I wanted photos. Many of the museums I have visited in La Paz had nothing I wanted a photo of OR the only really interesting things are in rooms where cameras are not allowed. She said that was fine. It took me 20 mins to walk around the museum and of course I wanted pictures. The hall of masks was great, the curator does a splendid job of displaying them. They are mostly (if not entirely) reproductions but well worthy of the "Picture Ticket". There are lots of of woven clothes and ponchos from yesteryear.
The Museum is inside an completely renovated Palace and the builders did a terrific job of mixing the old with the new.