“Xtreme Downhill best agency!”
Review of WMDR Yungas Road

WMDR Yungas Road
Book In Advance
More Info
$125.00*
and up
Death Road: Mountain Bike Tour on the World's...
Ranked #5 of 78 things to do in La Paz
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed July 23, 2013

For the best quality bikes, guide service, and overall experience check out the Xtreme Downhill office on Calle Sagarnanga in La Paz. The trip is all inclusive: full-suspension bikes, gear, breakfast, snack, water, and lunch. You even get to hit up a hot shower and swimming pool at the end of the ride in Yolosa.

2  Thank Jah B
Write a ReviewReviews (1,924)
All reviews
in 20 reviews
"hot shower"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed July 22, 2013

did the death road with downhillextreme company and it was worth every dollar! great gear! newest bikes and helmets, very good organization, after the ride we stopped for a beer and lunch + swimm all included in the price!and got some great tshirts as well :)

1  Thank lana x
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We selected this company based on other reviews and friends who used this company so maybe we were unlucky in our experience but I would not recommend this company to others.
Here are our issues:
We were told to be at the company office at 7:50 but we did not leave until 8:30 (not grt when you rush breakfast in your hostel to get there on time). We then drove around La Paz for 1 hour only to pick up 1 passenger who was 10min from the office? Unfortunately, we were unlucky as it snowed the night before meaning we had a 2 hr delay at the entrance to the Pass, but at no stage did our bus guide (who does not speak English as claimed) tell us what was going on, or give us options. We finally made it through and got underway. Our main guide (3in total) was 'sick' and consequently looked and spoke like he was on drugs - hardly inspiring....at least he spoke some English. By the way, our "touristic mini bus" was a rundown mini van with no leg room.....then we found many bikes had worn tires (bald) and this hardly inspired confidence in some of the girls who were nervous already. Unfortunately, 1 rider fell off and appeared to have badly damaged his wrist. 1 finger was blue and we strongly suspected he may have broken his wrist. It was clear that the main guide was not first aid trained as he claimed, aaa not only did he take forever to assess him, but he played the whole incident down. It took 3 friends to yell at him to get him to the hospital...again, the rest of the group at this stage was left feeling like this company was being run by amateurs...
At least the ride was great! But there is no doubt we could have had a better experience with another company. To their credit, they did produce the photo cd immediately after the trip. I think this company needs a shake up and a review of their claims, which are simply not all true.
Also- we had to pay 25Bov at the entrance to Death Road which was not included in the price, nor did the company tell us about this!

Reviewed July 19, 2013

I did the trip on 10 June 2013 with GRAVITY and would NOT do it again!

Eventhough they claim to be the best and safest option for doing this ride, I doubt if safety is really their first business concern (this is true for all companies). One participant crashed on the first kilometers and spend the rest of the ride in the bus. I did not witness the crash, but after I have seen his destroyed helmet at the finish, I was sure that ending the trip to bring him to a hospital immediately would have been the only option. This impression was confirmed when I ran into our guide one week later. He told me that the participant needed a emergency surgery due to a mild brain hemorrhage and a broken collarbone. What a negligent attitude!

Another issue was the disapperance of my smartphone! It was inside my backpack, which has
been stored in their bus while riding. After I contacted the office later, I just received an email with common phrases of apology and regret. As a customer who has paid so much money I expect that my stuff is safe at every time!

Some last words regarding the ride and the Death road itself. The road, advertised as the
World's Most Dangerous Road referring to the its history with around 300 fatalities each year,
is nice, but not as special and dangerous as all agencies are claiming. Any person with a good
physical constitution and experience in riding a Mountain Bike could do the ride withouth taking
more risk than on a Mountain Bike tour at home. What it makes dangerous are the people itself. Hordes of stupid tourist are paying money for the next big thrill while having not the slightest idea of how to ride a Mountain Bike!

4  Thank matbtt
See more reviews
Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

We went down the death road with Pro Downhill in July 2013. The ride itself was awesome and the guides were great, we didn't get back into town until really late (after 9) due to heavy traffic because of a festival but Dvds and T shirts were still delivered that night.

The company however I wouldn't really recommend, the girls in the office seemed to say yes to all our questions just to get the sale, one group was not even told anything about the B$25 fee to be paid.
When we arrived at the start there was not enough saftey gear in the right sizes, around 5 people went down with helmets that didn't fit, those who asked for knee and elbow pads, most soon changed there minds due to the gear being wrecked, some simply fell off as soon as they got on bikes.
Two people even went down with no pants and just a vest because they didn't have enough sizes which seemed weird because you had to put down sizes when booking.

Was an amazing experience, the ride itself is totally safe as long as you are sensible, my advice probably don't use Pro Downhill if you really saftey cautious.