“Went with madness and loved it!”
Review of Yungas Road

and up
Death Road: Mountain Bike Tour on the World's Most Dangerous Road
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Went with madness and loved it!”
Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

Had no clue who to go with, and everyone will tell you that gravity is the best. They are a bit more expensive and being on a backpacker budget I wanted to ask around a bit. Several agencies were booking with madness so decided to go with them after checking them our directly. Paid 650 bs for their newest bike as modeled in the store (full suspension - and yes this was the exact bike I ended up with - apparently you don't always get what you see)

Later on I went online to read so me poor reviewed and when there was only 3 of us taking the tour that day I questioned the low number... But in the end this just made the experience even better where there was such a small group.

They came to pick us up at the hostel at 6:40 in the morning, which was something other companies didn't do. went to their main depot to pick up our equipment etc. - was upset at first because we were told they'd have jackets for us but nothing was left out and the office wasn't open yet so we were out of luck.  Anyways it didn't turn out to matter anyway as long as you bring warm layers.

The day was fantastic. As everyone says the same thing: you start out in the clouds and snow capped peaks - (verrrrrry  cold so dress warm to start!!) we started on asphalt To get a feel for the bikes before hitting the loose gravel.. Got part of the way and paid our entrance fee of 25 bs and then re loaded back into the van to reach the start of death road.

One thing that most agencies will tell you: there is NO two-way traffic on this road anymore ever since the new one has been built.. This is a lie. Cars were going both ways throughout the day. When I first found out I was very uncomfortable... As a biker though you really have nothing to worry about if you are careful. Reckless drivers definately can come around a corner unsafely so you need to be careful of that but in general to bike this road is totally safe just pay attention!!

Our driver (olly) and guide (rick) were great! Learned a lot of cool facts and stories about death road along the way... Some may prefer to ask questions at the end but it just added to the thrill and experience of death road.

The whole day was amazing and Rick and olly took lots of photos and videos of us throughout (free cd and t shirt!!) perfect end to the day when we reached the little village... Started with an actually hot shower (somewhat unheard of!) went for a swim and had a buffet lunch. Forget the name of the hotel we went to (the different companies don't all go to the same place) but if going with madness then you will love the place it was beauty! Two pools... Go to the one around the back its less crowded and nicer scenery!

2 Thank Eveee1

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Fort Collins, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Death road with Gravity”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

It was such a great day riding down death road. Unforgettable. The views are incredible and it's a good adrenaline rush seeing the drop off on the side of the road. I had heard good things about Gravity and decided to go with them. I definitely don't regret this choice. The bikes and equipment seemed almost new and were in great condition. Our guide, Marcos, always made us feel calm and relaxed and gave a good a good talk with safety instructions before kicking it off. The main thing to stress about Gravity is their emphasis on safety. After traveling around Bolivia for many months, you hear stories, and things happen, but the simple guidelines that Gravity stresses to keep the riders safe make a huge difference. Mainly, I knew I could trust the other riders in my group. The only time I felt unsafe was when a different group passed us, and the riders were passing with several people riding side by side. Not smart. And I'm glad I wasn't with this group.

Overall, it was soooo much fun, we had a nice relaxing lunch at the animal refuge, had a great time with the others in my group, and then an unforgettable ride back up death road on the way back to La Paz. ;)

Visited August 2012
1 Thank zcashero
Dublin, Ireland
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Go with gravity”
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

I was totally terrified about cycling down "death road" but actually really enjoyed it and felt safe at all times with Gravity. The change in scenery from start to finish is amazing. We also visited an animal refuge at the end which was really nice. Before undertaking this trip I spent a long time researching which company to go with and Gravity definitely came out on top in terms of bike maintenance and safety instructions. They maintain their bikes after each ride so you know you can trust the brakes!!
Overall a great day out but make sure to do it with a safe company...

London, United Kingdom
“Best day with Gravity Bolivia”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Booked the 'Death Road' with some sense of trepidation! And rightly so - there are parts of this winding descent that are very narrow and entirely free from anything resembling a safety barrier. But the experience is fantastic, the views wonderful and with Gravity Bolivia the chances of anything going wrong are remote. Our guide - Marcos - gave us plenty of prep, warned us to slow down and stop where needed and made sure we always knew what was up ahead. The kit was all in good condition and they had a support team in a mini-bus follow us down the whole way.

I'd recommend doing the Zip Line at the bottom of the road - it is a good way to finish of the experience!

Visited August 2012
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“I would do it again with Overdose with Salomon as our Guide... but read below”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

So we had a great time. Honestly we spent a lot of time researching who to go with and I think no matter who you choose of the big boys you will be OK... but paying the extra cash to Gravity is just stupid... a guy in our hostel did and he didn't have any better experience than us.

Our bikes were in top shape (and I know how a mtn bike should be maintained).

Our only issue was that they accidentally did not copy half the pictures to the DVD that they took.

Also they give you GREAT FOX brand knee and elbow pads... but as they get daily use the elastic can be a bit tired... I found out the hard way when I fell... (I was trying to take a "cool" video with my GoPro... stupid)... But the lesson here is that even with tired elastic if you ask your guide to make it tight so it stays in place they have a trick for tying them tight.

Also ask if you can try on the gear the night before. this was not possible for us as a big group went the day before we went and took all the gear. No big deal though.

The road is not nearly as small and as scary as everyone makes it seem. With little off road experience you will be fine and can go your own speed. Our guide was very supportive of making sure the slow timid people in our group did not feel rushed.

Our guide was great and spoke the required English, but he did have a bit of a tough time understanding what "Keith" from Ireland meant when he was about the "boykes"... but then again so did everyone...

Visited November 2012