“Death road with Gravity”
Review of Yungas Road

Yungas Road
Book In Advance
More Info
$124.00*
and up
Death Road: Mountain Bike Tour on the World's Most Dangerous Road
Reviewed November 8, 2012

It was such a great day riding down death road. Unforgettable. The views are incredible and it's a good adrenaline rush seeing the drop off on the side of the road. I had heard good things about Gravity and decided to go with them. I definitely don't regret this choice. The bikes and equipment seemed almost new and were in great condition. Our guide, Marcos, always made us feel calm and relaxed and gave a good a good talk with safety instructions before kicking it off. The main thing to stress about Gravity is their emphasis on safety. After traveling around Bolivia for many months, you hear stories, and things happen, but the simple guidelines that Gravity stresses to keep the riders safe make a huge difference. Mainly, I knew I could trust the other riders in my group. The only time I felt unsafe was when a different group passed us, and the riders were passing with several people riding side by side. Not smart. And I'm glad I wasn't with this group.

Overall, it was soooo much fun, we had a nice relaxing lunch at the animal refuge, had a great time with the others in my group, and then an unforgettable ride back up death road on the way back to La Paz. ;)

1  Thank zcashero
Write a ReviewReviews (1,840)

Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

I was totally terrified about cycling down "death road" but actually really enjoyed it and felt safe at all times with Gravity. The change in scenery from start to finish is amazing. We also visited an animal refuge at the end which was really nice. Before undertaking this trip I spent a long time researching which company to go with and Gravity definitely came out on top in terms of bike maintenance and safety instructions. They maintain their bikes after each ride so you know you can trust the brakes!!
Overall a great day out but make sure to do it with a safe company...

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Booked the 'Death Road' with some sense of trepidation! And rightly so - there are parts of this winding descent that are very narrow and entirely free from anything resembling a safety barrier. But the experience is fantastic, the views wonderful and with Gravity Bolivia the chances of anything going wrong are remote. Our guide - Marcos - gave us plenty of prep, warned us to slow down and stop where needed and made sure we always knew what was up ahead. The kit was all in good condition and they had a support team in a mini-bus follow us down the whole way.

I'd recommend doing the Zip Line at the bottom of the road - it is a good way to finish of the experience!

Reviewed November 4, 2012

So we had a great time. Honestly we spent a lot of time researching who to go with and I think no matter who you choose of the big boys you will be OK... but paying the extra cash to Gravity is just stupid... a guy in our hostel did and he didn't have any better experience than us.

Our bikes were in top shape (and I know how a mtn bike should be maintained).

Our only issue was that they accidentally did not copy half the pictures to the DVD that they took.

Also they give you GREAT FOX brand knee and elbow pads... but as they get daily use the elastic can be a bit tired... I found out the hard way when I fell... (I was trying to take a "cool" video with my GoPro... stupid)... But the lesson here is that even with tired elastic if you ask your guide to make it tight so it stays in place they have a trick for tying them tight.

Also ask if you can try on the gear the night before. this was not possible for us as a big group went the day before we went and took all the gear. No big deal though.

The road is not nearly as small and as scary as everyone makes it seem. With little off road experience you will be fine and can go your own speed. Our guide was very supportive of making sure the slow timid people in our group did not feel rushed.

Our guide was great and spoke the required English, but he did have a bit of a tough time understanding what "Keith" from Ireland meant when he was about the "boykes"... but then again so did everyone...

Reviewed November 4, 2012

There's so many companies in La Paz offering death road rides, it's a bit hard to choose between, especially when you hear about how many of them are dodgy! After doing a bit of research, we ended up going with Overdose after a word of mouth recommendation, and we were sooo glad we did! It was all positive, but what stood out was:

* Equipment - 4 month old SERIOUS bikes! Not that I'm a mountain biker, but these seemed like the business. Also, the best safety equipment. Full suit, including jacket and pants, elbow and knee pads, and big motorbike style helmet. I felt like a michelin man, which is exactly what you need to give you a bit of confidence to go swooshing down a mountain! The most expensive company to go with (Gravity Assisted) only give a fluro vest and standard bicycle helmet).

*Guide - Our guide was great, happy to go with what the group wanted, knowledgeable about the road's history and good at giving tips about riding, and also about safety. Our driver was also great, keeping pace behind the slowest rider, and taking lots of photos.

*Photos - I wasn't confident enough to carry my camera with me, but it didn't matter, because the guide and driver both took heaps of action shots for us and made it into a take away CD included in the trip that we took home at the end of the day. Good t-shirt too.

*Group size - small group, rather than a group that's about 20 or more people, we were 5. More personalised service.

All in all, although I was a little terrified at first, a great day with beautiful scenery and great fun careening down the mountain!